1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto 1.3MJD - 36000 kms Sudden Service

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Magnanimousdude, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dude... My car has the same problem as your's. Heaviness. Along with that my leg pains when I really try to push the accelerator when the heaviness is felt. Before 15K service I had this issue now and then. After 15 K service, for the first 2 days there was a drastic change. I was happy that the problem is out of my car, but again the car feels heavy. The engine roars louder but no equivalent movement. I suspect two things

1. The A Pedal Sensor. I have been driving car for almost 15 years. Both Diesel and Petrol. The ' On touch of the Pedal' feel is badly missing. Being used to driving Indica Diesel and Santro, I control the speed only by touching the pedal with my foot and not flooring. It is only in my punto I flooring the pedal to get the speed I want. With that 15 yrs experience in subconscious mind, Still I do that touch, and wait 3 seconds to feel the car responding to it. I guess the Sensor or whatever which gives the Pedal position information to the ECU is not responding quick enough.

2. Some component in between the Engine and the Wheels that dosent all the power generated to spin the wheels. After the 3 seconds mentioned in point 1, I get some response from the car as if it is taking off, but actually it just responds and then struggles meaning the RPM increases and dosent make the car move fast. By this time the RPM shows 2200 - 2400. Now it is the time to upshift. I do that but after that the car still struggles and again touch - 3seconds- respond and struggle - roaring and goes on. In few minutes my leg starts paining. If I ignore the roar and go +3k rpm to upshift, it feels better but that is really not economical.

I have always been unlucky when I ask some other to drive the car and check if they feel the same. Colleagues, fellow TFI'an , TASS Service engineer. When they all tested, the car behaved normally. But once when me and my colleagues were returning from mahabalipuram, my colleague drove the car from mahaballipuram to chennai. When we were near Mayajaal, he couldn't continue driving the car anymore due to leg pain. He said this is a serious problem, if it is undrivable on highways then this is too bad.

May be we should swap the cars someday and see if the problem is exactly the same. So that we both can take the car to show it TASS. may be then they may get more serious on this issue.
  2. Hey thanks,
    I have had the TASS people to check, TASS suspect its ECU and FIAT is trying to have a schedule. i am waiting for there response.. BTW, have you ever tried of cleaning the EGR Valve? Per i read on the internet EGR valve clogging may give you intermittent performance issue. It wont give you the response as always.. I want to know IF THE EGR VALVE CAN BE DONE(THOUGHT THEATRICALLY THEY SAY IT MAY NOT BE REQUIRED)? OR CLEANING WILL HELP? i required the help of the Mods to comment on this.
  3. No one there to comment on my 40th Post Questions?? I expected Mods to atleast comment. Since i dont have much experience on automobile engineering i am expecting your responses otherwise i wouldn't have..
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Why do you think EGR valve is the culprit?
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. @Ravi,

Because i read somewhere in this forum itself that one linea had some same issue and he was shocked to see the clogging after opening the EGR valve.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Since your service center is aware of issue, so I would suggest let them figure out the issue first.
    There could be many reasons for feeling heaviness. May be just cleaning intercooler might help. Or there could be fuel problem, or may EGR is clogged or even Turbo is creating problems. Or may be there is absolutely no issues. Till somebody know the exact reason very difficult to suggest anything.

I know its difficult to visit multiple times, but for complicated issues, better to let service center guys handle, with help Fiat.

Also, keep an eye on this similar thread (http://www.teamfiat.co.in/technical/6303-punto-feeling-heavy.html).
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

For a turbo car to behave okay at one time and not so at another time points to a turbo problem, in general. Although the reason can be any N number of factors, however, prima facie it sounds related to the turbo.

Get the entire turbo system including ALL the hoses thoroughly checked for any leaks/cracks etc. Also, ask them to do a EGR cleanup.

Get the engine connected to the examiner to see if any sensor has gone bad. Especially the turbo boost sensor. The turbo boost sensor is how the ECU knows how much boost the turbo is producing. If it has gone bad, the turbo is no use.

Hope it helps.

8. Guys 2 things

1. Today i took the car to TASS and they figured one issue. The Inlet or the Outlet Host connected to the Turbo Intercooler was little bend than usual, TASS feel it could have the tendency to create vacuum at that hose and hence issue!!! when the vacuum leaves out, the car behaves normal. Hence they changed it. Now the car seems to good! No heaviness (good News) but the car feel hard!!!! in sense it wasn't revv friendly like before :(. will post you the picture of the Hose soon not now because, the car is in Service station now due to the below problem(newly created one)

2. After i took the car back to home, i hear a metal kinda sound under the Hood Left side!, i thought this could be becasue of badly fitted Engine Gaurd, But NO, they are identifying it!!! Morning when i took the car to the SA it wasn't there, but when i finally finish the checkup and take back the car i get this issue (Pathetic). When i turn the steering towards left side i get some "grrr" "tick tick" kinda sound. Not sure. WIll post you the updates soon.. watch this page..
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I am also facing this problem. Heaviness,low torque,flat spot between 900 to 1200 RPM is there. Car is running like FGT car.

I have to wait to 1500 RPM to get proper torque like 75 BHP FGT car.

Yesterday I drove Linea MJD 2012 clocked 2400 km of my friend.
    I found that though it is 100 kg heavier than 90 HP GP, it has better throttle response.

& most important point is - The car is running on the same fuel where I refill my 90.
    Still engine response was better. We decided to compare performance at 5000 & 10000 km.

I discussed this with Mr.Mangesh. He told me to bring the car at TATA ASS.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

My reply in bold
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012