1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic BNW - Review

Discussion in 'Punto 1.2 Fire' started by RMZ, Mar 26, 2013.

1. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

bangalore
    Congrats, mine too is 1.2 dynamic. :)
    I heard people saying about the power etc. This was my first car and am a learner so it didn't matter much to me.
    But I just wanted to add one thing on punto, its strong body, check out my thread on my car review, where a honda jazz banged it really hard from rear, punto was rock solid :)
    So above all our safety is ensured more in a FIAT than any other car ..
    3 people like this.
  2. Gokulk

Gokulk Novizio

CHENNAI
    Nice technical compilation and a very good & useful review

Congrats FIATian
    1 person likes this.
  3. RMZ

RMZ

Cochin
    Yours is the latest in the series of Punto accidents where I noticed the other car involved getting damaged more. This clearly shows the higher strength steel that FIAT has used to build this car. I would say this is very essential in Indian driving conditions.

Elsewhere, in another forum, I saw a Punto which was banged in the rear by an i10 whose bonnet and bumper was reportedly damaged very much. For the Punto, a slightly misaligned bumper and nothing else.

Hey Gokulk, Glad that you liked my review. How's your car doing?
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Congratulations RMZ. And wonderful pictures there. Very neat. What camera/lens do you have?
  5. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Mine is doing Great and gets 14.5 kmpl on Highway...
    Its like driving the Saloon car,
    Picture of my Grande Punto

IMG_20130123_113032.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  6. RMZ

RMZ

Cochin
    Ramjn, thanks for the comments. I'm using Canon Powershot SX50HS. No SLR funda. I'm still trying to learn the basics of photography.

Hey Tony, Good to know that. It seems you are slightly obsessed with the 'P' of Punto.

Ok, so here's another update. My family did a long trip yesterday of about 334kms and I was driving the car all the time. Since it was a family trip and the car being still in run-in period, I didn't push her much. Tried to maintain a speed of 60-80kmph on well maintained roads. A good amount of kms were covered in two lane highways and hence, I did get a chance to know her power band much more. The engine felt lethargic below 2300rpm especially with A/C on and so I made it a point not to let the revs drop beyond that. The car pulled fairly well even with 3 passengers as long as I was driving above 2300rpm. She starts getting vocal after 3000rpm and dad always reminded me not to rev it higher. Still, during some overtaking situations, I had to touch 3500rpm and she never complained. Even though we used A/C most of the time, I think we made decent progress in reaching the destination. I had kept the Instant Consumption on in the MID to keep reminding myself to drive as sedately as possible without going below 2000rpm. Cruising in 70kmph, the instant mileage showed figures from 16.4-18+, sometimes even crossing 20.

Starting Point:
    2013-03-30 04.56.06.jpg

Destination Stats:
    2013-03-30 09.55.54.jpg
    2013-03-30 09.56.10.jpg

At the destination, we had some city runs as well. In bumper-to-bumper traffic, I was using 2nd gear which was enough to pull the car from even 10kph. Only when I had to stop completely and then proceed, did I change to 1st gear. Else, 2nd gear proved enough to crawl in traffic. But, the instant consumption in MID showed a serious drop inside city limits. It varied between 11kmpl to 13kmpl. Overall, the average mileage calculated for trip was 16.3kmpl which I feel is decent for such a heavy hatch with 2-3 passengers aboard and some light luggage too. The return journey happenned today afternoon.

Back at the starting point:
    2013-03-31 16.06.14.jpg
    2013-03-31 16.06.28.jpg

And, thanks everyone for the likes :). This is my first ever interaction on a public automotive forum. Thanks a lot for the support.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    RMZ, looking at those mileage figures, you seem to have used the 1.2 at optimum level. With more kms, definitely engine should breath easier and mileage would improve. enjoy your Punto :car
  8. santhukp

santhukp Amatore

Bangalore
    16.3 is excellent average for 1.2 but you may felt very boring driving at that speed in highways.For me 70-80 KM/H in highways in punto will feel like you are driving @ 30-40 KM/H.Wait for the 2nd service and 7000 KM-10000 KM mark,you will feel the smoothness of the engine after that and you are never going to maintain that speed and never going to get the same mileage of course:p.
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The more u drive her, the more you will fall in love with her..
    I dunno i might be pampering my Punto, because i am attached towards Fiat...
    1 person likes this.
  10. RMZ

RMZ

Cochin
    Quick help needed:

There is something wrong with the central locking system in our car. When I press the lock button in remote key, the system locks all doors and then suddenly unlocks everything as it senses the LHS front door as open. I can see the warning in instrument console with the 'door open' symbol. Even the MID says, "Left front door open".

What could be the issue? Is it something to do with a loose fuse? I can manually lock the driver side door alone by slotting the key and turning, but the central locking system still behaves the same.

This is a very dangerous situation to be in, as the car is left open always, even when its moving.