1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT-Please get things right! Safe cars deserve better stake in India

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by i_mysterious1, Jan 9, 2016.

1. i_mysterious1

i_mysterious1 Novizio

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Dear FIAT INDIA! I hope this reaches you. Being a automotive enthusiast,I have always admired a Fiat and bought one for myself last year. Ever since Mr. Kevin Flynn announced grand plans for India, I was hoping that it would spin better fortunes for FIAT in India. Unfortunately, the sheer lethargy with which FI(FIAT INDIA) executes plans surprizes me.
    1. An ad from you guys never shows for a decent period on TV. Only enthusiasts know about your brand. Sadly,they are rare in a mileage-crazy country. Why not promote your brand properly? If you cant come up with a good ad for the Abarth Punto,Just ask PowerDrift guys to come up with one! Find young talent to help you out. No wonder Polo GT sells better.
    2. Letting Maruti bring the first MULTIJET 1.6 to India in an S-Cross....What were you thinking? Doesnt the Linea deserve that? I really am looking forward to see Multijet II in a maruti 2 years from now. Wont that be a disaster for you guys!
    3. Linea and Punto are old now,despite your facelifts. The market perceives them as old.
    Aegea, Aegea Sporty version- Ring any bell? The Duster was a runaway success for Renault just because Renault kept on coming with a new model of car whenever one failed. Thats being aggressive. They kept coming until one vehicle proved their identity.
    4. SUV/CROSSOVERS: Man! Thats a good role to play. Avventura is a great car with a puny heart...Abarth Avvy is an exception. But was a bit too late. Admit it. (I know Jeep's around,but wont that be for premium buyers?)
    A New Car on the Avvy lines with new name with a 1.6 MJD- India is obsessed with such Diesel SUVs. Ford Ecospot-a case in point.
    5. Why not start a campaign on TV with a refreshed ad? Yeah-There was "Crafted for Car Lovers".But it never had the reach it was intended for.
    The other day there was a FULL page VW ad saying about Vento's safety in a reputed newspaper. Oh well-Safety is your USP.
    "We dont make vehicles that compromise on your safety! We make safer cars for your family"
    Start a campaign..Feel The Thump! By including a clip showing the big thud of security that you get when you shut the door of a FIAT.
    People in India do not think holistically before buying a car. No wonder the top selling car in India doesnt have ABS/Airbags.
    Draw their attention to safety.
    A case in point. Maruti Baleno Diesel weighs 890Kg. Gives a mileage of 27 ARAI. Punto Evo sport has a weight of 1198 Kg. No wonder mileage is low. But people should be made aware that extra 300 odd kg is high tensile steel that most manufacturers dont use. Yes,your website points at that-Well then, how many prospective car buyers even see your website?
    6. A city with more than 10 thousand vehicle registrations a month gets 2 showrooms and 2 service outlets. Man! Where is your brand value?
    People ask me.."Hey your car has Maruti Swift's Engine doesnt it?"
    :facepalm: Thats my expression.
    7. Mind you, your engine selling cannot give you peace of mind forever. Maruti has a 1.5 litre DDIS engine of their own in the pipeline. So, tough competetion ahead guys!
    I hope I have not hurt anyone in the forum guys. I really want FIAT to gain a respectable position in India.
    Any further suggestions in this thread are most welcome, assuming somebody from FIAT might actually go through that sometimes.
  2. i_mysterious1

i_mysterious1 Novizio

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    8. A gradual but steady trend towards AMT in Indian urban customers is evident. Mageto marelli AMT in Fiat in an affordable way-Will be a good option.
  3. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Although I brought an Avvy 3 months back , sometime i feel I have done a mistake looking at the future service.
    I bumped on to Avvy when there was no TV commercialsand paper advt. My 15 yr son reads "Top Gear" and the British version of it in one of its issue talked about FIAT. I saw FIAT website and then called them up for AVVY test drive.
    How many of us do this research what I have done. I took 3 months to test drive atleast 6 cars each twice, before pinpointing. 99% of our customers takes decision on Advts.
    I had been asked atleast 3 times about this car. But then no body (I presume) turned to buy the car. WHY ??????????????????
    gpunto75 likes this.
  4. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Subhendusc
    Yes, your worry is fair. Taking risk of hard earned 10 lakhs is too much when we can't predict where fiat India is heading to.
    We are seeing a lot of second hand Mumbai passing lineas here in Nasik, since Mumbai now seems to be out of radar for Fiat.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @i_mysterious1

Hi. welcome to this particular anguish as a FIAT owner! ;-)

Please do go through the 'what should fiat do' thread. Be warned, though, it is a LONNNGG one, for obvious reasons! :) These things have been discussed, again and again, over years.

My own view is that the market's just too-expensive to crack for a risk-capital/investment-averse firm like the new FCA under Marchionne. As long as they make niche-quality cars, even in 'niche'-like small numbers, it's fine! Right now: they are short even of that minimum-for-dealers etc sales number and brand-trust level. It's a vicious-cycle of low-sales----->more-risky-the-new-investments needed--->.

I believe the only way out is the one they seem to be adopting: (a) JEEP (b) to be more export-centric with future models (c) lots more marketing, which they've been doing: make the move, hello life, avventura launch ads, youtube videos, crafted for car lovers, abarth launch ed, BIC launch of abarth etc.

It is FAR FAR harder to move the needle in the Indian car market than anywhere else in the world, believe me! Where else do 2 firms (maruti S and hy control 70% of the market, and rising) dominate like this? And FIAT has a legacy-distrust stigma. You know just how 'stigmatising' we Indians are, and here it has to do with something as 'precious' to us as.....resale value and after sales total-percieved-heardsaid assurance ;-)!

Folks have been feeling downbeat like you for the last 10years+.....and they will, with all affection for the car and the brand, inevitably be feeling and vocalizing for the next 10 years too, that's just the fate/karma of Fiat in the Indian car baazar! It'll take thousands of crores of new investments before they can break out of this rut, if then, which i assure you they will not wager in india. Maybe for exports and for Jeep going forward but for the Fiat brand? Doubt it make any business sense whatsoever for fca.

Which is fine: if they, with the all-new models in 2017+, can just get sales higher-enough to assure good business for their small and compact dealer body (now below 100 nation-wide), it's FINE! No? Since they make money and are profitable in/from India in so many other ways: engine and amt gearbox sales, via tata jv, exports of cars and powertrains+components etc.

cheers

PS: cheer up as a FIAT-owner?! Enjoy the enjoyable car?
    asimpleson and gpunto75 like this.
  6. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Is Renault a bigger and older company than Fiat in the international market??

Look at Datsun . The latest entry. They are even selling more cars than Fiat. Does FCA things why is this the case??
    People are still reluctant to buy Fiat just because of after sales service. Datsun is giving advt quite regularly in Kolkata newspapers. But see Fiat , no advts for last 3-4 months. How much does a advt and hording costs?
    gpunto75 likes this.
  7. i_mysterious1

i_mysterious1 Novizio

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well guys, people at Volkswagen are doing a better job. VW is perceived as a premium brand by many in India. Thats marketing for you. FIAT could do that,mind you. Just bring young new local talent.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  8. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    First of all more than updating the new models fiat badly needs the perfect model with an understandable USP , Every car that is a runaway success has one single USP no other cars have (MS have tin can as their USP)

Duster - first mover - SUV at the price of a sedan
    Kwid - SUV at the price of an alto

now mahindra is bringing the KUV 100, i'm sure that would also be a success coz it has the 6 seater option and has DRL (market is interested in this) at the price of a punto.

Fiat's recent efforts are good but can be better ofcourse.
    There were full page and half page ad's for the abarths for almost 5 days straight.

India is pretty sentimental, you need to bring Indian families to advertisements and show some star which the whole India knows, so make something DESI. and bring a friggin car FIAT ..... damn.. do some thing radical if not nothing:banghead:
    i_mysterious1 likes this.
  9. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Get Rajni onboard for the advts. Will definitely catch attention.
    adisrini1103 likes this.
  10. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    If Rajini is the brand ambassador, fiat could not satisfy the demand just for TN atleast for 3 months
    i_mysterious1 likes this.