1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat plans to manufacture luxury SUVs in India & export to UK, Australia

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by cassini, Oct 27, 2014.

1. cassini

cassini Novizio

Bangalore
    Germany
    Grande Punto 1.3
    "Days after Prime Minister Narendra Modi exhorted global manufacturers to 'Make in India', Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has put in motion plans to manufacture a premium sports utility vehicle under the Jeep brand as part of a Rs 1,500-2,500 crore investment in the country and export it to key markets including the UK, Australia and South Africa in the next two years."

"The development work for the first premium SUV to be made in India has begun under the project code-named M6 or 556 and production of the C-segment vehicle will begin by the end of 2016, four people close to the development told ET, adding that the strategy to use India as an exports hub will help the company reduce its losses in the country."

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...lia-and-south-africa/articleshow/44943695.cms
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    This news is very credible, even if it's been first published in the breathless hype i.e., utterly dubious paper, the Economic Times. Because it fits into what FiatChrysler folks have been saying to other media and to financial analysts/investors in the US, in Italy and in Asia-Pac. I do agree that the way to go for Fiat in India is C- and D-segment + exports + engine and amt sales, rather than bother undertaking the near impossible task of competing in the a- and b-segments with Maruti, Hyundai et al.

Now: the point of intrigue is: will this just be one 'C-Suv' under the Jeep brand or, as Autocar claimed based on Fiat sources recently, a second, smaller one, the Renegade presumably priced well below 20 lakhs, for 2017?

AND, for me personally, whether the Fiat 500X (which shares platform, engines, even suspension architecture to a large degree with this Jeep Suv the ETimes refers to) becomes a viable costing and pricing possibility for the Fiat brand in India, at say 15/16 odd lakh ex-showroom?

I do hope FiatChrysler are able to catch a lot of upgrading Punto and Linea customers with well-priced, top-notch D1 and D2 segment Cuv/Suv offerings. I hope to see sales of the Fortuner, the XUV 500 and the Innova/Corolla et al punctured by these offerings from Fiat and Jeep! ;-)
    platinumshine and cassini like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The whole strategy till now has been one to put Fiat fans and industry or observers or buyers more in a fix. More intriguing would be to know the overall focus in entry level segments if we are to think of Fiat India popularity or local brand presence. The introduction of Flex_fuel options (if you checked the thread on ethanol based fuel query today ;)); also possibly the de-regulation will see private players introducing more alternative fuel options in future. Introduction of Flex Fuel Cars like Siena Flex-Fuel introduced in Brazil quite sometime back.

The SCCS is very exiting, this one having some elements of the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa too. The 'viable costing' is always achievable, just strip the Indian customer of a few features and money too where needed. ;) :) I would definitely like to see the Bravo much more than the 500x and more within reach of Indian and perhaps South East Asian masses.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Ah I want to see a SUV in the XUV range competing against Mahindra and any other manufacturers that come at that range. Get noticed by folks in India and then expand operations. Of course the hot hatchback wish still remains :p
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Coming in early 2016: a 'Grande Avventura' if you will, with the 1.5/1.6 mjd too. With that engine and with presumably some of the styling flair of this Avventura: it will be competition enough for the Dusters and Xuv-s! I'd love to buy it, though the much more expensive 500X is also viable for India (i bet or rather i wish :) ).
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3