1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT Pandit Pune Closing operation in September

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by MakeTheMove, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Ravi Varma

Ravi Varma Novizio

Punto Evo 1.3
    I'd rather drive all the way to Mumbai or Bangalore if there's a trusted service center there; who doesn't like a long drive ;)
    Sushant9999 and prabhjot like this.
  2. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    Regular service is fine buddy, what if there is problem in car?
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    There still are 2 FASS in Pune. Even if they're mediocre...they're still better i bet than my local Gurgaon dealer-FASS. As long as there are half-decent options, Delhi NCR has 3-5, two of which are pretty consistently good, and Pune has 2, still,......it's ok na? For now, tomorrow's another day.

On second thoughts:

This whole episode just tells us that Fiat has not the slightest chance of coping in this marketplace, and its expectations and priorities, and cost-structure.

Perhaps they REALLY should wind up their operations, and stick to milking the market vicariously through Tata, Maruti, Jeep exports and a few sales of Maserati-s and Ferrari-s and later Alfa-s?

They don't have 'it' in them to manage minimally let alone thrive in India.

If I were Marchionne and Manley et al, I'd be deciding right about now to give up, accept that Fiat's (long but weak) innings in India is OVER.

Stumped Maruti ASS bowled Hyundai ResaleValue, umpired by the Indian Car Baazar-crowd. No third umpire referrals allowed, not that they're needed, since the stumping was by a long mile.

In any case: there is NO indulgent third umpire who might just give a second/third/nth chance or 'life'.

OUT is OUT.

4. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    Yes @prabhjot they are out and that too a suicidal runout or hit wicket or they fall on stumps by fearing the ball travelling at 150 kmph and that too a bouncer right there on the nose of FCA. ha ha ha ha.
    they simply does not have the technique or class how to bat on the Indian wicket of car bazzar !!!
    on every ball they want desperately to throw its wicket and go and sit in the pavillion.
    Maruti scores century with the BAT (mjd) from Fiat.
    Turbothinghy, asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

Yes, they needed Laxman and Dravid of the Calcutta v/s Aus test fame, since they were following-on.....instead they have Harbhajan Singh and Sreesanth batting at the crease: out of their depth on this spinning, spitting-cobra of a wicket! Didn't bowl well enough either, did they? As usual. Even the ever-helpfully-biased Umpire S K Bansal has long since retired, or been cashiered....:p

"Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, If Hyundai sales don't get you, then Maruti after-sales must!!":dead::p
    Turbothinghy and asimpleson like this.
  6. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Fiat Enthusiast
    Guys, been following this thread actively and really sad for what's happening in Pune.
    Erode is quire far off and after reading some of the experience you guys had at Pandit I really had lot respect even though I have never felt it.
    Well we have Marvel Fass in Erode and like many having a poor sales but I am satisfied with service. But as he is making continuous loss with poor sales not sure how long he will survive.
    So Its really a testing time for us but we knew this and have taken the plunge.
    There was lot of expectations on upcoming Abarth variants especially evo and Aavyy, but I feel that Pandit closure has brought lot of sadness to all in our forum.
    Let's hope for the best and meanwhile pray for a reasonable success for the upcoming launches.
    MakeTheMove and prabhjot like this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

There's no point, in the end, being a fan or aficionado or being a basher, a grumbler, a worrier, someone disenchanted, disappointed, delighted, regretful or full-of-hope (which we all are i think, from time to time, and usually AT THE SAME TIME).....

IF we don't face the facts and the way they are configured both at FCA's end, and in the wider marketplace, its culture, its structure, etc.

There are reasons and causes for all these 'alleged' lacunae/failures/weaknesses etc on Fiat/FCA's end, we must recognize those.

What's the point of bitching, fretting, getting angry and frustrated....unless of course that matches and is justified by those reasons and causes?

I try to focus in my posts on those reasons and causes, many of which ARE or at any rate MAY largely be out-of-Fiat-India's control, given the market structure and the brand's peculiarly burdensome historical legacy.

There's no point being either a fan, a well-wisher, member of a 'tribe' of Fiat-owners or TFI....OR a critic, someone scornful, indifferent, worried or cynical....

IF we don't place these sentiments/identifications in CONTEXT.

Sentiments, positive or negative, anxiety or excitement are too-easy: it is the emprirical/analytic details that give them meaning and value.

It is, IMO, getting ever-clearer that Fiat-branded cars have little future in India, at least in the mass market where all our excellent cars are, because of those analytic details. FCA-the-company in India, however, will likely continue to make good money here.

Call it 'run-out' or 'hit-wicket', or biased umpiring or a tough pitch against potent bowlers or lack-of-strength/technique, it doesn't matter by now: that is what the analysed facts tend-to show, to evidence.

There is IMO only little FCA can do in India to change that 'fate' for the Fiat-brand, IMO. Which, funnily enough, is what they've been doing: little (relatively)!

Even if say Pandit or say Kashyap in delhi were to remain financially viable and provide decent-good after-sales, which most dealers will surely continue to like DRS here in Gurgaon or maybe J-V in Pune?

Which is what I've been saying for ages now! Well before and irrespective of Pandit or say Gurgaon's excellent DRS shutting-down?

Fanboy? You, for example, sound much more enamoured of or satisfied by your Fiat experience in India than I am!;):p
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  8. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Bloody hell!
    One dealership is closed in huge county like India & inning of whole automaker is over!!!
    See, Pandits have closed because the nearby dealer has captured the business. Also opening of dealership on NH4 at Satara which is 100 km away from Pune must have decreased bussines for Pandits from water rich districts like Satara, Sangli kolhapur as during TATA FIAT JV days Pandits were nurturing these districts.
    And if Pandits were providing good ASS on better manpower, same man power is going to join nearby JV & Satara ASS. So what's the problem? And fiats really keep a good eagle eye watch on the FASS.
    And, can someone tell me, are their any examples of really unexplainable bad ASS experiences at JV FASS.? JV FASS is just 6 months old & is it apt to label someone as bad within 6 months?

For me and many eastern Pune custemers, Pandit Bavdhan facility was difficult to access.
    @Ravi Varma, Dear no need to visit Banglore, you can visit Krishna Fiat Satara on NH4,which is 70 0 km closer to Pune than Banglore, if at all you like long drives. On one fine Sunday I had tried to book a servicing appointment at them, on phone they sounded very eager to help and gave me appointment on the same day (other FASS are on holiday on Sundays) and when I didn't reached, they took a proper follow up of reason behind me not visiting them.

Anyways, I am ready to join at Ranjangaon if all the Pune TFI ans decide to protest the FCA decision of 'not allowing Pandits to continue as FASS alone with closure of dealership'.
  9. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    This thread has come as a shock for sure. I still show @Italia-Linea 's GTX photos to my friends to prove how good Pandit auto was. These guys seem to have set a benchmark when it comes to service.

Eerily, the same thing has happened to Ankita Motors in Hyderabad as @nibedk mentioned. They were also getting very good at servicing instead of sales. And Fiat has shut them down. I asked a senior Fiat official at corporate about this and he declined to comment. But inside information seems to be that Ankita was not in a very prime location and FCA India insisted that all their showrooms needed to be in prime locations. I do not know how much of this is true. But I do know that Ankita shutting down has caused quite a lot of heartburn in Hyderabad among Fiat owners. I myself own 2 Fiats, one quite old and one quite new. But yet, I am not worried about FASS. This is because I suddenly see a big change in Butta Auto. I took the S10 for an AC drain pipe leak and the rear door beading becoming loose. They were very jovial, checked it, did not make a job card, told me its a 5 min job. They took it down to the workshop, 2 technicians came and fixed both. I asked them for the charge and he told me since I have 2 Fiats, no charge.

So yes, it hurts to see some really good FASS outlets closing down. And Pandit auto is a legend with some outstanding and passionate staff. But perhaps they were very good at service rather than sales just like Ankita. And since for some skewed reason, FCA India wants the outlet to handle both sales and service, it just may be unprofitable for them to do both as they need to sell a certain number to atleast breakeven.

And like @prabhjot has said, FCA India may not be allowed to run autonomously. I think the parent company may be micromanaging every single decision which is very detrimental to the local point of sales as only an Indian can attempt to understand another Indian. Indians absolutely must have a value proposition in any product. And cars are not cheap. Fiat has repeatedly screwed up in the past in India and people who need to invest 7 lakhs+ in a car need to feel absolutely safe. Best example being this very thread. The Indian in all of us feels bad and insecure because we have all made large investments in a car which may of may not soon have any support around.

But then, if you see some actions of FCA India, it is also clear that they do not plan to exit. Examples being the facelifted Punto and Linea, a car like the Avventura being built for India alone, going independent which is the most important thing as it means a new investment line and sending out senior officials all over India to see where Fiat is screwing up. So they do realize that FASS needs to be improved a lot. Or rather, the perception of FASS needs to be improved a lot.

Are they doing a good job? I think not. Because passionate customers and partners are the ones who sell for company. And allowing highly skilled and passionate service centers like Ankita and Pandit to shut down itself only gives more ammunition to be bashed. Even worse is the absolute lack of transparency in FCA's decision making. There is no information percolating down from the company to the prospective customers. Hyundai has just committed to the launch date of the Creta. Fiat believes in giving big surprises. I was looking at the threads dated 2005 on team-bhp where Fiat simply stopped communicating and people became so anxious if they were about to shutdown. Then they say that they are going with Tata and that gives some relief. We really don't need to be pulled down and then rescued. We would like information on a timely basis. But they still do not do that and instead we find out the hard way that good FASS centres are being shut down.

Nothing will really happen. The remaining FASS centres will do a moderate job. But finally, I have this niggling feeling that all is not going the way it should be. Customers are moving on. And above average products from Maruti and Hyundai are devoid of all passion but work perfectly fine. So if Fiat continues to remain opaque, the existing enthusiasts will get fed up and move on.
  10. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Folks even I am game in case TFI'ans visiting Ranjangaon plan to protest FCA decision. On other note, today I have sent an email to FCA, below is the snapshot of the same. Hope that someone at FCA atleast reads this:

----------Email to FIAT------------------------------

Hi FIAT Officials,
    With this email I wish to express my disappointment on the news of closure of Pandit Automotive FASS in Pune. In case you are not aware, Pandit folks have been performing well above average in terms of providing accurate service to our beloved FIAT cars. Also the customer oriented focus of entire Pandit staff is commendable. I can very well say that it was only because of Pandit's presence in Pune, I decided to go ahead with my purchase of new FIAT Linea T-Jet in March 2014.
    Since then I have been getting very good service at Pandit and with this experience I was about to book Punto Evo 1.4 T-Jet (when its gets launched). However now I don't want to go for any new FIAT car and am left worried on how my current Linea T-Jet would get serviced by 2 other FASS which are "NOT AT ALL COMPETENT". Being a member of Team Fiat India (TFI) forum, I suggest you to look at the comments pouring in on the forum. It is clearly evident that existing FIAT owners in Pune are damn worried about the quality of service they would be getting post closure of Pandit's, not a rocket science to understand that no more existing FIAT owners will now opt to buy another FIAT car now.
    I am requesting "Any FIAT official who is concerned to keep FIAT's existence alive" to really look into this matter and sort out any issue that might be prevailing between FIAT management and Pandit Management. Its really shameful to see FIAT losing such a great service provider in Pune where matter of fact is that FIAT is not at all seen as good After Sales Service provider in entire India. I hope to see some action being taken by FIAT on this matter rather than seeing as usual reply "We are looking into the issue" and nothing happening thereafter.
    Disheartened FIAT Fan
    (Mangesh Tendulkar)

-------------Email sent to FCA-------------------------