1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Palio S10 #314 comes home! :D

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by kailasmenon2000, Jan 20, 2015.

1. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Thank you Abhishek...In terms of mechanical side, it was a well maintained vehicle. I'll post few pics of the car when I bought it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 21, 2015 ---
    Thank you asimpleson...I know I have'nt been active for few months. Got held up with my marriage preparations, works etc. Will be active again from now on :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 21, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 21, 2015 ---
    Buying experience continued...

Dec 1st -
    After seeing the ad, I couldn't resist myself from calling the owner. His name is Anil, working in Bangalore. He was a gentle & straight forward person. He openly told me about the good & bad about the car. He said the car has been serviced in FASS only & mechanically its in perfect condition. Recently he has done 60k service too. He told me he has got around 12-13 calls within a days time enquiring about the car. I could understand that it was true. He himself was shocked seeing the response. He never knew that an old Palio has this much resale value. I told him its because its S10. Couple of guys had told him that they are ready to buy the car for the said price even without having a look at it. Our call lasted for around 30min. I slowly started feeling that somehow I should buy this car. But as my marriage was on Dec 8th, it was tough for me to go to Bangalore, see the car & finalise the deal. He said he wanted everyone to see the car so that there won't be any issues later. The car was in service centre for washing & polishing. He said the bonnet & roof of the car has faded & its whitish in colour. He sent me couple of pics of the faded portions & promised me that he'll send more pics the next day. Here are the pics he mailed me to show how faded the bonnet & roof is.

IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1933.JPG

After seeing the pic, I messaged him that its not a problem for me as I already have plans to repaint it completely if Im buying it. I think that impressed him, because couple of other guys who visited him tried to negotiate hard showing the faded portions. Somehow he didn't like the way they tried to show the negatives of the car. On the other hand I was praising the car like anything. I didn't want to sound like usual buyers who point out the negatives & hide the positives to reduce the price. If Im right, that became a major reason for him to sell the car to me for a price lesser than he quoted. (to be continued)
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You are right @kailasmenon2000. If a person is straightforward and reasonable sounding, all the more good it feels for a seller to sell his/her product. Little do people realize that difference of buying from a dealer vs buying from an Owner. For many people they sell at lower price just if they are impressed by the buyer and his attitude and demeanor towards the product and dealing.
  3. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    100% true asimpleson... Experienced that myself.
  4. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Congratulations!!!! Welcome to Yellow 100Horses Club !!
    kailasmenon2000 and GirishRaghu like this.
  5. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Thane
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Definitely, as soon as I sort out parking issues, convince the Home Minister as to why I want that car and have enough vitamin M !
    Saw that quite a few S10s are available on TBHP classifieds; all of them are demanding a premium but after reading your buying experience looks like its worth it :)

Cheers
  6. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Thanks a lot mchanna :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 22, 2015 ---
    Its really worth it...After driving it for a month, Im suggesting all my Fiat friends to buy one :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 22, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 22, 2015 ---
    Buying Experiece Continued...

Dec 2nd

I was waiting for Anil's mail from the morning. By evening 3pm I rang him to ask for the photos. He was sounding upset. I asked him what the reason is. He said a small accident occurred with the car in the service centre. Someone who came to buy the car took a test drive & parked it in 1st gear. Without knowing that Anil switched on the car & it jumped & hit an iron bar which was on the wall. The bonnet got damaged. He was really upset & he didn't want to send the pics to me in that condition. I said its not a big problem & asked him to send the pics.

20141202_134131.jpg 20141202_134139.jpg IMG_1931.JPG

It was pretty difficult to see this beauty in this condition. But as I had a similar accident with my Linea, I knew that its just a small accident & won't cost much to repair. I called him & said I don't have an issue with it. Till then I was not sure that I'll be able to grab this car as there were already 12-13 genuine enquiries. But this small accident & the way I responded made him decide that he is willing to sell it to me even without giving others an opportunity to see the car. He didn't want to explain each & everyone what exactly happened, how it happened & all. He knew people will point out this as a way to reduce its value. He told me if I can come to Bangalore, he'll close the deal with me. He was ready to either repair the dent, repaint it before handing it over to me or reduce the price accordingly. I opted the second one as I don't want to wait again & lose this deal. I said I'll reach Bangalore the very next day itself. I immediately booked a ticket to Bangalore for the night train from Trivandrum. My family members were were shocked hearing this as my wedding is just few days ahead. I didn't inform my fiancee. When she called me in the night & asked where I'm, I said 'On the way to Bangalore to buy a car!'
  7. Crazy Fiatian

Crazy Fiatian Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Very sad, It will be always better to engage clutch while cranking.
    kailasmenon2000 likes this.
  8. Crazy Fiatian

Crazy Fiatian Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Bravest man I've ever seen
  9. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Hehehe...Not because I was brave...I didn't have the courage to tell before leaving! :wacky:
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 23, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 23, 2015 ---
    Buying Experience Continued...

Dec 3, 2014

Car was in Carnation, Marthahalli. I reached by around 11am. Anil greeted me & took me to the car. The car was nothing like been advertised. But I didn't feel bad as he had clearly explained me the condition well in advance. Other than the dent on the bonnet, the car had small scratches everywhere. But what surprised me was the brand new looking interiors & the perfectly working famous S10 cassette player.

20141202_134510j.jpg
    20141202_134925j.jpg

20141202_1342517.jpg

20141202_134156.jpg
    20141202_134316.jpg
    20141202_134904.jpg
    20141202_134918.jpg

Without wasting time I took the car for a test drive along with Anil. As soon as I engaged the 1st gear & moved the car slightly, I decided that Im going to buy this car! I was like 'wowww'. The car was butter smooth & super powerful. Engine, clutch & gear felt like brand new. I've driven couple of S10s before. But never felt so good. I understood instantly that this car wasn't abused at all. Though it wasn't maintained well cosmetically, the mechanical side was perfect. We drove to M.G road as Anil wanted to renew the insurance before selling. After driving for around 5km, suddenly the car jumped slightly & stopped. Then only we noticed that there was no fuel. Took a rickshaw & bought 2l of petrol, filled it & continued our journey.

20141202_143456.jpg

As soon as we reached near M.G Road, the car again started jumping. We noticed the temperature going high. Immediately stopped the car & opened the bonnet. It was too hot inside! After waiting for 15min, we tried pouring water to the radiator, but found that whatever we pour is leaking through bottom. We assumed that the radiator got damaged in the accident. We called up Carnation & asked them to send a mechanic. They promised the mechanic will be here soon. We waited for an hour & called them again as nobody came. They again told us there mechanic is on his way. We had lunch & waited again for an hour. Called up carnation again, but from then on nobody even bothered to pick the call. We were stranded in the middle of M.G Road. Tried calling Vecto & KHT for RSA. Both of them said it'll take at least 2-3 hrs for them to reach the spot. I then checked with few of my Bangalore friends & called up a workshop near Indira Nagar. They said as its getting late, its better to park the car somewhere near by tow it the next day morning. We somehow managed to drive it to Anil's friend's home in MG Road. Even though there were troubles from the beginning, I decided not to opt back. I took these experiences positively & promised Anil that Im buying the car!

20141202_150822.jpg
  10. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Thane
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Forgot to mention before, anyways better late than never.....Wish you a happy married life. Heartiest Congratulations :)
    varoon9999 and kailasmenon2000 like this.