1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Palio 1.9D Vibrations and other problems.

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by y2saurabh, Oct 3, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes everything is possible. Simple? No. You cannot just bolt on a turbo and expect it to make good / safe power without altering the ECU map (and ECU itself) or by reducing the compression ratio of the engine to a safer level etc etc. Things just don't work that way.

Enjoy the Palio D bone stock as is. Keep it stock and it will last a LOT. For more power - Punto 1.3 :)

Cheers.
  2. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Gurjinder so is adding turbo is the only option to gain more power from this engine? Or there are other option like K&N filter, ECU remap or may be increase compression. Sorry if i sound like stupid but my knowledge is very less in this field :(.

What makes CRDI engine easy to mod? I guess its because of ECU only right?
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Personally, based on my 8 years of experience with the Palio D - more you tinker with it, less reliable it gets. I've seen engine rebuilds at 50,000km's and original engines lasting 3.5 lakh km's as well. None of the options you list are viable.

My philosophy with the Palio D is simple - Keep it stock, use genuine and quality parts, strict service at 5000 km's using simple cheap mineral oil and it will never let you down. FIAT knew exactly what it was doing when building the 1.9 engine. Trust me and trust them. :)

Cheers.
    Raaz and mchanna like this.
  4. Adding a manual turbo to any engine is not a big engineering job. just design manifolds and engine oil supply pipe line. No need to remap ECU as noting much can be done bcoz we have mechanical injectors (Nozzle) in 1.9D. Same engine with DCU3F fuel injection system produces upto 120BHP with manual turbos. 1.9D is designed in such fashion. Turbo was not added for Indian and few Brazilian models just to keep it a budget car. I don't care about engine compression as retiring pump and cam timing does all the job. and its not only me who is using turbo with this engine... There are many... and are riding happily like mine went about 35000 Km with turbo. Opinion varies with knowledge, Enjoy :)
    Raaz, Cubbie and Sat-Chit-ananda like this.
  5. Riteshranjan,
    Can you please post some pictures of the engine bay?
  6. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Hi all, There is one other problem developed few days back. Sorry for not being regular. After engine started glow plug light keeps flashing for some time. I guess its because of some glow plug went kaput. Even one time my car refused to start early morning and needed jump start.

But when my mechanic checked the glow plugs according to him all the glow plugs are fine. What he did is touched one end of a wire to battery and other end to each glow plug and there were sparks when wire touched glow plugs. According to him this is indication of working glow plug. I told him that there is indication on dashboard but he said it comes sometime when glow plug is not reaching to its temperature. But i dont think its right. My other query is, is it good practice to change all glow plug at once?

Also according to him there must be some impurities in diesel filter. We removed diesel filter and there was smell of kerosene :( in diesel. So there was impurity in diesel. We cleaned diesel filter and decided to change it. But shops were closed due to sunday so will change it in this week. The mechanic told me to add some 2T oil in diesel to clear impurities. Is this ok? i dont think this is a right practice. Want advice. Thanks in advance.
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would never add 2T oil to diesel. No way.

The method of checking the glow plugs is right. Alternatively they can have a bulb in the circuit that glows if the glow plug is right.

Glow plug warning can be due to faulty glow plug, glow plug timer or the glow plug relay.
  8. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Paddleshifter thanks for the quick reply. I was also not willing to add oil to diesel and make car's engine condition worse.

Well if the glow plugs are good then can it be starter motor which is causing starter problems? I will be checking this possibility also. Also when we checked earthing wire of the battery got cut at few places so i intended to change that also. Will it be available easily and at what price? Thanks
  9. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    My car's AC was not cooling sufficiently since 2-3 months but as it was winter dint care much. But now its summer and AC is must. When i visited a local garage and ask if i should fill the AC gas he said let check the system first. Now according to him compressor is gone :( he said its not pumping and i need to change it. I will take a second opinion as well.

AC compressor is very costly its about 24k on 99rpm. What will be its price in used market? and will i be able to find one in used market? Also is there no way to repair compressor? Thanks
    Raaz likes this.
  10. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    MAJOR UPDATES AND MORE QUESTIONS

First of all many many thanks to fellow team fiat member Aseem Prabhu (username: asimpleson) who introduced me to RS Motors at Kandivali Mumbai and also visited there for me. Without his help i may not be driving my car till now and could have sold it.

Also for anyone who need help with fiat in Pune, Mumbai, Nashik or anywhere in Maharashtra and not getting proper mechanic to visit RS Motors there are really expert.

Without taking much of the space i will say they have resolved many of my problems. The car became much much smoother. Overheating problem was solved. Thankfully there was no problem with AC compressor. Car axle was changed.

However there was one major issue was remaining, the oil leakage. It was totally my fault despite of suggestion from Aseem i haven't opened bonnet while leaving from RS motors after test drive. When i got back to Nashik i checked oil was still leaking from nozzle. And this is where all the problems began. I contacted RS motors they suggested me a mechanic in nashik but that guy was least bother to help me.

After repeated ph calls with him i got really frustrated and decided to find a garage to solve that problem and it was like biggest mistake of my life. I found a garage with some fiat uno standing for repairing hoping that they works with palio and when i asked them they say yes they work with palio. I told them my problem they said they will check and call me and those idiots opened up the head of engine for leakage problem :mad:. They removed timebelt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, everything :eek: when i visited garage in evening they told that head is bad and needs to be replaced. According to them there was problem with pre chamber. I immediately called Mr Deshmukh at RS Motors he said that the garage guy opened it just to make some money from me. I was feeling like hell. Then i called my usual mechanic in nashik, who guided me to a head repair workshop who will repair it for me. The repair guy also confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the head. But there was some corrosion so he said as the head is opened its better to weld and press it. So he done the repairing i bought new gasket kit which have every gasket new including head gasket and intake manifold gasket. After everything fitted car came to life with shudders and white smoke for some time. It was knocking very badly. but became smooth after 10 minutes. after that it became a regular exercise car used to knock and emit huge white smoke for first 1 minute after starting the car afterwards it was becoming butter smooth. I showed it to my regular mechanic and he immediately identified it as timing belt setting issue and voila! it was correct he adjusted timing belt and issue was solve.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Now one issue is remaining with the car. OVERHEATING.

Car is overheating in one particular condition. Car runs perfectly fine when i run it at speed. But as soon as i come to idle after driving the car. Temperature rises. I feel its due to radiator fan not kicking in. I shown it to electrician and he said that thermal switch is gone but according to my mechanic its problem with earthing wire. Also after head job there is lot of oil, diesel and dirt in coolant system can that also be a cause? Clogged radiator? Please i need urgent help on this as i cant run my car anymore.

Again thanks a ton in advance.