1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Palio 1.9D Vibrations and other problems.

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by y2saurabh, Oct 3, 2013.

1. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Thanks for really helpful information :p

Will keep all the tips you given in mind. Tomorrow i will get engine bay wash after that i can check if oil leak has stopped or not. Also my car's temperature gauge goes a little above half way mark for some time and come down again. Firstly we though that it was due to leak in coolant tank but even after changing coolant tank problem still persist. According to my mechanic radiator fan is not working and only one other small fan (not sure about which fan he is talking) is working. I can check it after engine wash as there is much oil in that area also. Will keep you updated about that. What can be the reason for radiator fan to not work.

Thanks again.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    When the temperature goes beyond the halfway mark, does the fan run in high speed mode? It would make a lot of jet-like sound.

The only test is to keep the engine idling (AC OFF) till the temperature rises and the low speed fan kicks in. You will need to keep a keen eye on the fan. Use a small twig to test if fan running or not ( well thats one desi way of checking).

If it does not kick in, firstly the relays/fuses etc need to be checked. In the end if all the electricals check out fine, the fan motor will be gone. The fan motors can be replaced with an aftermarket item. Not as good as the OEM part, but works.

I'll PM you my number. Feel free to contact me when your mechanic does not know what to do. I'll get my mechanic to talk to your mechanic so that the issue will be resolved. Happy to get a Palio D on the road doing what it should - munching miles.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. That's a nice gesture Gurjinder.
    1 person likes this.
  4. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    The first link - "door weather seal" can be the culprit. But rare to see it go bad, unless some muppet cut it or damaged it.

The second link is just the decorative beading you apply on the outside of the doors (on ELX versions)

Cheers.
  6. To get rid of engine vibrations you can follow these steps:

1. Get engine and gearbox mounting checked,
    2. Get exhaust manifold checked ( for 1.9D - near engine oil chamber, because it is most obvious to get hit ), in most of the undetected cases, this is the culprit, as it restricts exhaust gas resulting in poor pickup, high engine temp, and obviously more vibrations,
    3. Adjust Fuel Injection Pump timing ( a bit retired timing can help smooth engine sound and less vibration), Get your injectors/ Nozzles cleaned. Ask to adjust the pressure of each nozzle equally, as it is very necessary to get rid of vibration at low RPM.

FIP timing and cam timing adjustment helps a lot to get rid of knocking sound and vibrations, but needs a good hand to understand the engine's requirement as it varies from engine to engine, if engine gets old, as of our 1.9D's. I have done it in many 1.9D, and have felt that owners start loving their beauty more than before.

My 1.9D has crossed 100K mark and is a super silent beast with a manual turbo installed with it.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    How did you compensate for the fueling? Did you remap the ECU or something like that
  8. Stock FIP and ECU is enough to go upto 75 - 80 BHP.No need to remap. just installed the turbo, without inter-cooler and feeling the thrust.

best part is increase in fuel efficiency.. 18+ in traffic and 21+ on highways.
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Good for you, mate. But I still have no idea how we can just install a turbo and not compensate for the fueling. Anyways, if you can post a few pics of the setup in a separate new thread, please do so. We'd love to see it.

The mileage figures you quote are achievable on bone stock Palio D's as well.

Cheers.
  10. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Sorry for not being regular on the forum. Got busy and haven't really got time to look after the car. Worse is it met with an minor accident and left headlamp got damage. Nobody in nasik have new palio headlamp so i guess another visit to mumbai i necessary. But other than that car is doing good. Done two long trips odo now read about 85k.

But what riteshranjan3270 saying is interesting. Is it really possible to and is it really simple to add a turbo to the palio 1.9d? If yes then will it affect engine life and also the fantastic driveability? I am thinking of giving new life to my car in next year. complete new color and overhaul. Want my car to be as good as new but if its possible to add some horses to the power it will be icing on the cake. But i dont want to take as risk by damaging my engine. I think sienna was available with a 1.7TD engine, will that turbo be a direct bolt on?