1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Palio 1.9D Vibrations and other problems.

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by y2saurabh, Oct 3, 2013.

1. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Hello all,

First of all thanks to moderators for making me part of team fiat.

Now about my problem. I purchased a used palio 1.9d last year and engine was vibrating on start-up since then only. The vibration can be felt on dashboard, seats and steering but not on gear lever. Clearly it was engine mounts problem. I ignored it for time being (It was my mistake i guess). But about a month ago engine noise was too much, also my steering started to give tik tik sound when turn fully specially on left side.

I bought new engine mounts and gear mounts from shetty motors and get them fitted. Well vibrations got less but not completely stopped specially on steering wheel they are same. Any other part i should change? Please advice me. I saw few palio 1.9 which are very smooth.

I will post my other problems one by one. Thanks in advance :)
    Raaz likes this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi there,

I have the same car since 2005 and can attest to the fact that the 1.9 is an extremely refined engine. Sure it has the normal vibes typical to a diesel but it is not intrusive or uncomfortable. So your case seems to be not normal. Did you enquire from the previous owner whether the engine is original or has been rebuilt? All rebuild 1.9's that I have seen till date (More than 50 engines) could not fully recreate the sound and behaviour of an original untouched engine.

The steering clicks on turning means the CV joints are gone and need to be replaced. You can get them from the market easy or from 99rpm.

Do post pics of the Palio :)

Cheers.
  3. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Hi Gurjinder,

Thanks for quick reply. Nope there was no engine rebuilt as far as i know and engine is running good except vibrations, touches 130 km/hr but after that car begins to vibrate. Can it be anything with fuel injectors or timing belt tuning? (Just my guess, i am a newbie). Also there is oil leak from engine. My mechanic told me that is tappet cover gasket and i changed that also, but still there is a bit of oil leakage on the floor. I will post the pics of engine bay tonight.

Can any member suggest a good garage for fiat in Nashik, Pune or Mumbai? as not many garage owners are ready to even touch the car :mad:
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    Can be something related to the tires/suspension.

What is needed is a lookover by an experienced mechanic. I have a friend who travels all over the country in his Palio 1.9D and has gotten some service and repairs done in Mumbai and he was satisfied by the work done. Will ask him to share the contact info of the garage and let you know.

Cheers.
  5. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Hmmm i don't think it could be suspension problem as when running car is absolutely smooth. Palio 1.9d have one engine foundation (the aluminum one) and one gear foundation right? or are there more foundations?

Now second major problem is water leakage in rear passenger foot-well. There is heavy water leakage in passenger foot-well behind driver. There is no sign of leakage from the roof. In heavy rains there are two inch deep water in the foot-well. Can you please suggest any reason? My mechanic failed to understand reason for this.
  6. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    If you often come down to pune then i know couple of guys here in pune who can work wonders on your 1.9D. Don't worry they are trusted!!!
    Also, if you can manage then get hold of additive System-D and start using it. after 3-4 tankful check if you see any noticeable difference? Don't worry it wont harm your 1.9 D i have driven 50K on 1.9D with system-D and just loved it.

Vibration could be because of Belts. so, get both of them checked.

Where as on water clogging check if the door beading have gone bad or not. If your are facing the problem with rare passenger side then most probable door beading's must have gone bad.
    Also, if you are facing a problem with oil leaks then make sure that while changing the oil you should stick to mineral oil and don't switch to synthetic oil.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. y2saurabh

y2saurabh Timido

Nashik
    Thanks me at fiat! it will be great if you can give me contacts in pune to check my palio. But how is availability of spares for palio in pune? Its worst here in nashik. You dont get even basic parts. I found good supply with shetty motors and kava.

My mechanic checked the door beading and he says its ok. According to him water is leaking from boot, I dont know how its possible. Please check the picture below, there is this pipe sort of thing is door which got cut in half. Its of full length on the other door, can this be a reason for water leakage?

04102013408.jpg

Also i am attaching pics of engine bay where oil leakage is happening. I use mineral oil only. Can you tell me exact quantity of oil required. My mechanic says its 4 to 4and half liter. I read somewhere its 3.5 liter. I just changed tappet cover gasket. I will get the engine washed and will post pics again.

04102013410.jpg 04102013409.jpg

My Precious possession :D It requires complete paint job which i am planning to do after diwali. Interiors need to get polished, will get it done in this week only. Sorry for bad quality of pictures took them in evening low light conditions.

04102013412.jpg 04102013411.jpg
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Oil capacity = 4 Litres exact. Only put in mineral 15W40 diesel oil. I like Shell Rimula R3X 15W40.

Has the oil leaked stopped since changing the gasket? I've seen it on a few 1.9's here and a simple gasket change or a re-seal solves the issue.

You can get all the parts from 99rpm.com. Check it out. They will have the door beadings too.

Also, when it comes to diesel filter, use only Delphi HDF951. It's around 2500-2700 but is the best and use it for 15,000km's.

Cheers.
    Raaz and me_at_fiat like this.
  9. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    For spares do check : Replacements. First of all get her diagnosed properly, make a list of all needed spares, place an order and get all the issues sorted out in one go.

Oil Leak :- from pics it looks Diesel/Injector leak to me. Please cross check it once again.
    Water Leak : - For any kind of water leak inside cabin first of all inspect every single inch of the rubber beading.
    Oil:- As suggested by Gurjinder Shell 15W40 is really a good oil. Give it a try during your next servicing. Follow Oil intervals schedule very closely.

About Oil capacity/tyre pressure i think following snap should help you :D.
    Capture.jpg

few things to take care while living with 1.9 D:
    - Quality of Diesel used, stick to reputed fuel bunks. As per my observation 1.9 D engine is most silent on IOC (Indian Oil) Diesel.
    - Always try to maintain at-least Half tank diesel. I.e. go for a tankful once the tank is half empty. Avoid reaching to reserve level.
    - Always Use system-D
    - remember it's a gem of a machine but with little bit weak heart/Fuel Pump. So, protect it as much as you can.

If you plan to visit Pune do let me know in advance. Feel free to PM me.:)
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    Raaz likes this.
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    And yes, while reading ^^^ i would suggest : come what may - change oil +filters at 5000km's religiously. This is the only thing the 1.9 needs.

It's a bombproof engine which needs fresh oil every 5k. Just keep it happy and it'll keep you happy. I have loaded the car up with bricks, bags of cement and the engine just doesn't feel anything.

I haven't really used System D much but do use 2T oil once every few months. The 1.9 and it's components were not designed to run on ULSD so a bit of extra lubrication from the 2T oil helps. Higher sulphur diesel was a good lubricant itself. But with today's diesel being ultra-low sulphur, the lubrication properties of diesel fuel have taken a hit.

Cheers.
    Raaz likes this.