1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Palio 1.9D Injection Pump / Loss of Performance

Discussion in 'Technical' started by KVRFiat, Aug 14, 2015.

1. KVRFiat

KVRFiat Timido

Near Shoba Apartments, Kanakapura Road
    Bengaluru
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi Team,

I need your suggestions on the following queries on my Palio 1.9D 2004 Model ODR 152000.

1. Last one week Diesel Injection Pump warning light stay on when the ignition key is on. Each time I need start and then stop, next start when ignition key is turned on Injection system warning light goes off and start the engine as usual. First start the engine sound is different and there is a engine vibration.
    In 2012 there was a different problem, Injection system warning light used to on while driving, when light on engine noise used increase along with smoke. This problem was fixed by Hariprasad automobiles in Bangalore they charged 29000/- and said it was fixed in Mumbai, the issue was with sensors and assured one year warranty.
    The pulling power decreased after sensors were fixed in 2012, now the pulling power is further reduced.

Now warranty is over I am thinking what to do next? When checked with Hariprasad guys they are telling the same process to fix the problem and coating 30500/-

I am in a confusion what to do? Shall I go for fixing the sensors by spending ~30500 or buy a new one from 99rpm for 55787, desperately looking for your suggestion.

Engine pulling power decreased is this related to Injection pump or something related to Engine head or Piston rings or engine overhauling is needed.

No plans to sell this vehicle, awaiting your valuable inputs.
    Raaz likes this.
  2. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well the 1.9D engine is a real gem, if Hariprasad confirms it's just sensors then I would suggest you consider doing this.
    The 1.9D(not many would agree but it's the best diesel engine sold along side to "Pumpe Duse" engine).
    Mechanically super strong engine, can even outlive a Tractor but sadly this engine is been spoiled by very complicated electronics.
    Just pray you keep things like ECU and other sensor safe, water proff and don't let any idiots handle the Engine Compartment.
    I had a friend who sold his 1.9D couple of years ago but I wasn't able to afford to buy, I still regret for that till date.
    If he isn't sure and diagnose for something even big and total cost going above 50K then definitely that's something you can re think off as you cannot live with these issues for ever.
    asimpleson and Raaz like this.
  3. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    HI,

I do not have enough information on the 1.9D fip issue.
    As far as I know. few people in MyFiatWorld.in have done some research, on this. and one person has gone ahead and replaced the Fuel pump with a mechanical fuel pump from the Ford IKon. which costed him around 18k. You may want to check this solution as well.

I would say try out other sources, like Scrap market for the fuel pump. Hariprasad off late has been greedy and very rude. I would say it should be your last option to go to Hariprasad again.
    Raaz likes this.
  4. KVRFiat

KVRFiat Timido

Bengaluru
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Anup and Sujit, There are other small problems like Noise in the front left looks like wheel bearing problem and also front head light and tail lights, spares are ordered from 99rpm. I have received items today, I was surprised to see the Fiat Genuine parts they are very good, Wheel bearings made in Brazil. Got a mechanic who is having experience with Fiat Palio's. He is coming home this weekend to service the car, I will ask him what best can be done to fix FIP.

There is one more problem noticed today, oil leaking near break pedal, I am sure it is a steering oil, saw oil level reduced in steering fluid tank.
    Break / clutch fluid level is fine.

I will post more updates on this once service done this weekend.
    Raaz, rish_fiatpalio and Sujit508 like this.
  5. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    KVRFiat, Hope your car doing well now. Please post updates. Thank You.
  6. KVRFiat

KVRFiat Timido

Bengaluru
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi Raaz, Sorry I was bit busy with the work, could not get a chance to update. Changed Clutch kit along with Lever and shaft including bushes, just wanted to replace all original parts sourced from 99rpm. I watched when the parts changed in the workshop. Some of the tips provided by members of the forum helped me keep an eye during the replacement and also guided them on few areas while tightening the clutch. Overall very good experience and power came to normal, can zoom in the 3rd gear to 80kms with 2500 RPM. AFTER CHANGING CLUTCH kit FUEL PUMP light disappeared, have not crossed 120 Kms after changing the clutch kit and it was pleasure driving with family to Chitradurga, Bhadravathi, Kemmanugundi and Chikkamagalur, Baba budan giri, Manikyadhara waterfals and back to Bengaluru via Hassan. My family was impressed with this old baby with ODM reading of 1.56 L and 10.5 Years old. My friend who is Mahindra fan drove this car first time and fall in love for the steering behaviour in the got section.

Got a mileage of 17.3 with 4 Adults and 4.5 years old kid onboard and 60% of the time AC on. Except Bengalure to Chitradurga, never crossed 100Km/h. Now again in Bengaluru city started getting 12.5 to 13 with 95% AC on.

After this trip there was a thud sound in the Front Right suspension when hit potholes / rough road, workshop guys was unable to find out, they said suspension is weak and Right side engine mounting must me replaced. On September 27th I wanted to check before placing an order for suspension and Engine mounting pad through 99rpm. But it was just one bolt was loosened and causing the thud sound after tightening sound disappeared, car started running as expected. From last 2 days getting sound from Alternator belt Fixed tightener bearing. The bearing was changed when ODM was 97600 along with timing belt in 2012.

I will post again the performance of the car once the Bearings and belts are changed.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 11, 2015 ---
    Forgot to update, I was planning to change the OEM steering setup with ball joints, workshop guy told me try for oil sealing locally and he offered me 1 year warranty. That fixed the leakage and charges was 6000 including labour, looks bit expensive but impressed with the service so not bargained.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Sujit508, rish_fiatpalio and Raaz like this.
  7. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    KVRFiat, Thanks a lot for posting immediate reply with updates. Kindly let us know, How much you had to spend for it.

And looking forward for more updates. Thank You. :)
  8. rish_fiatpalio

rish_fiatpalio Timido

GB
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi KVRFiat..reopening the thread as I have exactly the same issue in my Palio 1.9d. Injection check light stays on most of the time. Whenever it does go off there is noticeable increase in power delivery and performance and rpm drops to around 900 while on other occasions its glued at 1100. The punch is that I am hearing the same ringing sound from front passenger left side that u mentioned and there is oil leak on the break pedal which is of course the power steering oil. Did your check light problem refurnish? N what do u think made the problem go away? The power steering repair or the clutch replacement? 81db0ae65e347b19b2ef312b098751db.jpg would like to add that turning the engine off and then on does not make the light go away. Rather it goes at its own will. Please assist
    Raaz likes this.
  9. KVRFiat

KVRFiat Timido

Bengaluru
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi Risd_fiatpalio, Injection light disappeared after changing clutch plate and release bearing. Prior to that i have removed the battery connection for 18 hours as suggested by one of the member in this forum. That did not fix, during the clutch plate change speedometer sensor, battery was removed, so I thought that might have cleared the error in the ECU, the issue not repeated again, drove almost 7800 kms.
    Ringing sound you need to check chassis bolts, and break pad holder nuts, you can do your self by removing the wheel and check the loosened bolts if any tight them. Actually in my case Both bolts was loosened, I tightened my self rattling sound disappeared. If not check the bearing, this can be check by lifting the front wheel, you should feel the wheel is tight, when you shake.

Power steering leakage workshop guy said oil sealing with one year warranty. Charged 6000/- till now there is no leakage, looks to me they have done a decent job. I would suggest to do the same instead of replacing steering unit, it will cost you 17000/- in 99rpm.
    rish_fiatpalio and Raaz like this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @KVRFiat, please call Michael at RS Motors, Mumbai and explain this issue. If you can speak Hindi better. Also in case of parts and service he could suggest actual pump service people. IIRC lucas stopped service of these or so I overheard. And I guess 2T oil in very small quantities per tank fill are good for fuel pump.

@gurjinder @vIjAy_kHaSa
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015