1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat - New Urban Cross Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by pra.agar, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Bharath Balasubramanian

Bharath Balasubramanian Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    That means that only the three champs have any chance of profit in this market. So does this mean all others will just give up and just leave at some stage. Does this also mean 10-15 years from now we will have only these three to choose from?

Regards
    Bharath
  2. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I think VW is doing fine and I believe they will certainly increase their market share going forward. They are going to introduce a localised small SUV competing Creta, Ecosport, duster, etc., which will certainly bring them some volume. Even Diesel engine fiasco has not affected them so much. People attach some premiumness to their brand and I hope they don't lose it going Honda way.

On Ameo it will eat into Aspire, Amaze, etc than Dzire, so they certainly will not get a very large volume. But certainly they will get a decent volume. I also believe they have not invested any huge amount in developing this considering the it is boot with Polo, very minimal changes, use of existing engines, etc.,

However Skoda brand will have hard time to survive.
    amitshedha and kgramesh like this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    What do you mean with this statement? Honda lost it?
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    India is a financial sinkhole for VW+Skoda, not to mention their dealers. VW sales are down massively from 2-4 years ago, almost-continuously despite massive ads, finance schemes, facelifts etc. For now, imo it is only the huge exports of the Vento to mexico etc that makes the vw+skoda operations in India seemingly plausible.

I say 'seemingly' since IMO the market in India has 'shaken out' and achieved a hard, unshakeable structure (MS with 50% share+HY17-20%share+Mahindra(+small loss-making parts for tata and honda+toyota.)

In terms of financial sustainability of brands, dealers, and production IMO the likes of Fiat, VW, Skoda, Ford, Chevy and Nissan are as-good-as-doomed/dead, short of very lucky investments of many many thousands of crores each, which so far is it seems only going to be forthcoming from the hapless TataMotors. For eg, on the global analyst/investor con-call with the Ford ceo and cfo, i just encountered a MOST-apologetic and repeated comment on the hole that are the Indian investments, esp the new Gujarat plant and the Aspire/Figo.

Ford and GM have for eg withdrawn permanently from some markets recently: Japan, Indonesia, Russia. That is most-likely to be the case also with both Chevy and Fiat (at least) in/from India pretty-soon? Of course, exports might keep their flags flying in other, non-retail-ways, and in FCA's case: JEEP etc.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  5. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Does urban cross active variant have alloy wheels and power windows at the rear. Because the specification page shows no alloys and power windows at rear also no remote locking. But was showing ABS present in active.
    Can anybody confirm it.
    Was pursuing my cousin to go ahead n book urban cross active instead of baleno petrol. After downloading the specification from Fiat page got confused.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Think you are confused.

Both Active and Dynamic come with 16" Alloys. Emotion comes with 16" Scorpion alloys.
    Active variant does not have ABS while Dynamic has it.
    Active Variant has front power windows only.
    Active variant does have central locking facility but no remote.
  7. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you for the quick response, just downloaded the brochure it has been corrected and clearly mentioned the alloy difference. The brochure downloaded day before was full of mistakes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  8. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

If you want to buy a Fiat petrol, go for the Abarth versions of either Avventura or the U.Cross. Or you could try the Avventura Emotion diesel. I am quite disappointed that Fiat has chosen not to supply dual airbags as standard in atleast the Urban Cross. Its not just about the sheet metal and structural cross members. Sometimes, you need to walk the talk in terms of safety. Its a shame that Maruti Baleno gets bragging rights for having ABS and dual airbags as standard, inspite of the flimsy frame.
    Raaz likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Then it would be deemed too expensive. Why? It DOES cost Fiat more than say maruti, Honda or Hyundai to make the heavier and much-stiffer chassis, the door panels, cross members etc etc.

"Not Enough, why should i buy?" AND "Too much, why should i buy?"

Devil and deep sea, in terms of costing, pricing and margins (not even counting the extra advertizing forever needed and therefore in-deficit, pun intended, or the resale value is low and therefore HUGE discounts are essential, etc.)

THIS financial cleft-stick is why, imo, FIAT will most likely (and imo should be) shuttered as a brand in India. FCA has other 'avatars', equally storied including in desi-terms, it can try 'appearing'-as in India: JEEP etc. This avatar's still attractive to a miniscule few of us but de facto: dead. Make it de jure, fca. In 2/3 years' time? With each city having at least one non-dealer small, viable fass workshop for old customers and/or the 'combined FCA, with Jeep' dealer-owned ones.

But let there be 'funeral festivities and celebrations', a happy sendoff as it were, a 'wake'.

@acechip