1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat - New Urban Cross Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by pra.agar, Sep 13, 2016.

1. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @prabhjot
    It's series of ups and downs for Fiat.
    Just saw 2 new punto evos in a small town of Devlali (Nasik).
    Fiats dealer in Nasik had stopped the sales a year before, and continued as a service centre. Last week went for an inquiry(as usual was referred to 99rpm), and was shocked to see a very positive atmosphere. Saw new Punto, Linea, pure on the display. Received a warm welcome from the sales guy. Just asked him about sales, he said 5 cars per month on an average. Then came the reason behind it. He said Aadya Motors, Aurangabad was denied the Jeep dealership, as a result they are closing down. And the Nasik dealer is managing some inquiries at a old time Fiat FNG.
    Now Aurangabad is a big city, and often I saw large numbers of Fiats on road. Fiat lost a good dealership there. (Aurangabad members please confirm?)
    And the new cars (avvys in particular) are so good, a thought always comes in mind to upgrade from a 2 year old grande punto.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    I think the reason they have not launched the Diesel Emotion Variant is that may be they plan to launch it in 1.6 li engine later on and with 17inch wheels . Just wishfull thinking :happy:

Anyways I sincerely think that instead of just launching these stupid crossovers why they dont bring 500XL to India and pit it against the likes of creta and brezza. I was in Italy recently and had hired the 500XL from Europcar for 2 days . O man what a car ! Fantastic ! Spacious , comfortable and fun to drive . First time I realized if only I had the power of the Antman I would have miniaturized it in my checkin baggage back home :finger:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @vivek_lko

(a) too expensive in its chassis, crash safety, all-independent suspension, interior materials and nvh package etc. EVEN brazil+argentina do not and will not foreseeably recieve the 500X or even the 500L.

(b) too expensive to down-engineer to indian costs, for a market that does NOT assign much value to chassis+suspension engineering quality (in all its dimensions.) Since india is a rhd market with small volumes for FIAT, and since an indian rhd variant could not be exported since FIAT is tiny in most rhd markets, historically

(c) india has excessively high tariffs that therefore systematically bias the marketplace towards firms with the large scale of high-localization domestic manufacture. Only way around this is sheer scale of assured sales: i.e., the very thing that is IMPOSSIBLE for a firm like FIAT, as it is for many others. Chicken-or-egg situation. MarutiS and Hyundai benefit the most from this protectionist setup, as do of course tata and mahindra, which is why (political clout) it is not being diluted, as it should. Hyundai has the further advantage of tariff-free imports from Korea under the bilateral treaty with Korea.

(d) ONLY one way to overcome the horrific risk-reward ratio for non-dominant (MS, HY, Mahindra) firms, then: use export volumes to overcome the scale-deficit problem, without which you cannot even-begin to justify the high levels of localization a car needs to be cost-competitive against the dominant players who are free of the scale problem, indeed benefit massively from it. BUT: Fiat does not have such volumes for india-made models (rhd or lhd), since Fiat is centered in europe and latam, and in euro-high-spec citycars like the 500 or the 500X, and is uninterested in pursuing a Datsun/Dacia/Ranault/Nissan style 'low-cost third world car' strategy for any market, not even for Brazil. And would rather just provide engines, transimissions and production-process technology for those who are so commited (i.e., Maruti S, and Tata.)

(e) ERGO: Fiat will probaby be withdrawn from India, in favour of JEEP models that will enjoy export volumes and can share-plenty of localized components and assemblies (esp powertrains) with Tata Motors' upcoming models. Unless, they make Fiat models made-here into export-centric ones (which seems impossible, just given the geography of Fiat's large-markets and of their other plants in Turkey, Serbia, Poland and Brazil.)

OR: they offer their models to tata motors for sale as TATAs. OR: they only do ckd-models, at high prices and therefore miniscule sales from mainly-JEEP dealerships and ass centres in the future. In which case a rhd 500X t-jet ddct may yet be possible. Don't know about you but i'd certainly buy one, regardless! ;-)

cheers
    Turbothinghy and avi_loveindia like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There is chance of 1.6 diesel @vivek_lko that's what I heard too. Could be rumour, only time will tell.

@prabhjot, all this is indeed wishful thinking, and not to spoil the dreams but it's their own making. Certainly they don't have lot of things going for them like market etc. but that's a result of persistent bad karma of Fiat Management.

As regards people or buyers the economies of scale were possible during UNO days and also Palio days but that was ruined by corrupted and incoherent policies of Fiat. Superior products loosing out due to abysmal quality of service and consistency and pricing issues to say the least. A market driven by utility more than luxury or fun to drive alone. A clear segment demarcation not going in favour of how the product stands on it's own, neither regard for understanding consumer sentiment and various class of consumers and topological requirements.

IF however now they keep continuing the show even if it means taking loses by investing more towards incentivising dealerships and build a stable ground and culture, they still can Indianise products with more local vendor development thereby making better propagation in markets more fundamental like Maruti or Mahindra or Tata even.

What is essential at this stage is to keep the Fiat brand in focus and build an environment of trust that Fiat is here to stay. Yes popular automotive magazines do get full page advertisements. Only hurdle being for now is having a series of product launches and dealers who can do justice to these product sales and services.

Even today trust and reliability and spares pricing service are a big priority for many consumers.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Something they did with Avventura when it was launched. At that time also the Petrol 1.4 Avventura wasn't available in the emotion trim, but then they launched the Abarth engine in the emotion trim :D
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @asimpleson

They won't do it: for JEEP they will, and well, am confident. A WHOLE new start, with all these lessons learnt.

But not for FIAT, imo, the new FCA under Manley and Marchionne is least interested in toxic-legacy brand/market sideshows like Fiat-in-India.

We keep thinking India is a great impossible-to-ignore mass, high-volumes market for MNC autofirms. Our own narcissistic aspirational developing-country delusions, really.

imo, Most such firms are coming-to-terms with the fact that india is the most peculiar marketplace in the world, and is by-now impossibly expensive to succeed-in. Unless you're export-centric, that is. Which is imo most unlikely if not impossible for made-in-india FIATs, as opposed to affordable, high-margin rhd JEEPs. FCA is the only non-oligopoly-like (MS, HY, Mahindra) firm to NOT have lost hundreds if not several thousands of crores.

If my sense of the way the 'new' FCA under marchionne and manley operates is correct: they will not jeopardize that rare if strange accomplishment by taking the huge-risk-no-reward bet on FIAT in India again. Precisely because they know they've messed up in the past, and in this country of stigma-s they will not be given another chance.

Unless Tata Motors adopts several brazilian FIAT models as its own: that's the ONLY way imo FIAT will stick on in the Indian mass market come, say 2018 or 2019. Frankly: such an expansion of the Tata jv deal makes far too much sense for Tata Motors, imo, but who knows as yet? Hope so.

Interestingly, JLR will be using Fiat's multiair tech on their new 'ingenium' 2 litre turbopetrols, which may in fact be all-too-closely derived from/related-to FPT's brilliant new Alfa etc GME 2litre turbopetrols? i.e., Tata-JLR has been and hopefully is very much in such broader discussions with FCA, beyond just the Jeep+Tata-Suv (2l mjd etc) new deal. 'new Punto'='new Bolt', 'new Grand Sienna= new Zest/manza', 'new MOBI and UNO'=.....?

The best case likelier-scenario is for the Brazilian Fiat b-suv to accompany the Jeep 'new Punto'-based one, using the latter's cost and export-scale-economies, in 2018 from the small but much better Jeep-centered FCA dealerships, as a promissory note for a much later re-attempt in India (mass market segments.) More likely: a cbu or ckd model or three from FIAT, in which case a very-expensive 500X or say 124 Spider/Coupe may yet become available here.
  7. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    Punto Fancy dress continues. :)
    Looks like they are winding up and just clearing stocks.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    12 bottle holders -- a mini fridge would have been better :D :D :D
    And the rasiks are already ranting again st JEEP.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  8. Krunal Bhatt

Krunal Bhatt Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Ahmedabad
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Great car. BUT does anyone know, how many bookings took place? OR if someone from the group/relative of group member booked the car?
  9. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I see urban cross a good choice over costly elite i20 active/vitara brezza.
    There was a twitter contest on #CrossOutOrdinary with some good posters and captions. Seems the best/crazy tweet on #CrossOutOrdinary theme to win a free urban cross! Result of best tweet to be announced on 28.09.2016. All the posters and captions tweeted by Fiat are as usual nicely crafted ones like their cars:headphone:
    Let us see how it goes and who is the winner.
  10. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good news!

Urban cross, Avventura, and Punto Abarth are available now at Future Cars, Nasik.