1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat may launch 1.5MJD in India

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by esskay, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    So is the Viaggio only a rumor? This will make me sad because I really think Viaggio with 120BHP Diesel with 350NM Torque and a higher tuned TJET along with automatic options can sell well.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I would certainly take the Autocar India new with a bucket load of salt when it comes to Fiat. With the numbers Fiat is currently doing or will do in the near future, it wont work for the economies of scale at least. For economies of scale, they will have to give this engine to Maruti and TATA which will kill its own product.

The 15000 tax saving is nothing in the Linea pricing and it wont be a dealer breaker at least to me.
    pv_krish and bharath like this.
  3. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    1.5 MJD or 2.0 MJD..both will be of no use ...considering the petrol prices......Fiat needs to consider the 1.4 Multi-air and 900cc Multi-air...and it needs to give a mileage of 20 kmpl...then it will be a Hit....
    bharath and ramjn like this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Well, we have no better source than FiatChrysler themselves, and what they revealed in their global five year plan recently, NOT that it is sacrosanct for them:

Mike Manley, ceo for Jeep but also APAC Fiat said clearly: a total of 3 transmissions MADE IN INDIA, and a total of 6 engines MADE IN INDIA by 2016.

That can only mean the 1.5/1.6 mjd IS coming, but as Autocar suggests, probably not before the Auto Expo 2016, unless Fiat's going to start making it next year for the Suzuki S-cross. That engine's needed for the new Fiat CUV (2016) and more importantly the India-made, localized Jeep C-SUV, also 2016.

Methinks chances of the Viaggio coming are next to nil: there is no mention of a D-segment vehicle in the India section of the global plan. Unless they assemble kits imported from China, with the India-made T-jet engine? Unlikely though easy enough to implement in the factory?? Worth their while, in terms of prospects and pricing??? Who knows, but unlikely methinks.

There IS a commitment in the plan, as Autocar also confirms based on their fiat APAC sources, of an all-new Linea (they will drop the 'Linea' nametag apparently in favour of 'Grand Sienna') and an all-new Punto. The global plan says 2017 for these two, but Autocar says mid/end 2016.

So I guess for 2015: the Abarth Punto, and the Jeep launch.

Methinks the Avventura and the Punto Evo may just be enough for Fiat, with lots of continuous marketing and tuning-up of dealers+ASS, through to the 2016 launches. The Ranjangaon plant's going to be buzzing what with the Tata Zest and/or Bolt, so Fiat's India revenues look set to increase smartly enough?

REM guys, the BIG possibility: a FiatChrysler buy-in to Suzuki globally if Suzuki wins the arbitration award against VW, due by the year-end.
    bharath likes this.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Is Fiat going to install another turbo to get the performance of the 1.6 from the 1.3mjd like how they do it in Formula one? Cant say. They have learnt massively from this years engine.

Abdul