1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat may launch 1.5MJD in India

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by esskay, Aug 2, 2014.

1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I believe there is 3% additional duty over the engine size if it exceeds 1.5 Litre even if the car is beyond is 4m.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  3. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    seems it is for SUV type of vehicle and not for sedan body type, if i remember correctly Mahindra had putted engine guard or something like this to reduce the ground clearance of XUV500 and save that 3%
    excise duties 8% --
    small car = cc<1200 (p) cc<1500 (d) lenght < 4m
    if any parameter is exceeded then it will attract 21% or 24 % excise duty.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    This was for any vehicle with engine size of 1.6 litre and above having more than 170mm ground clearance. It is one weird rule which will make a proper sedan a SUV by the rule book.
  5. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    if I remember correctly then Maruti and fiat has taken exemption from govt. for SX4 and Linea as they are sedans with more than 170 mm ground clearance and they are not classified as SUVs by excise dept.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Although a good move and late by ages I guess from Fiat. The engine albeit trimmed down one should have been introduced in the Jan 14 auto expo when show casing the Avventura. If it had been introduced along with Avventura, I guess results would have been far more better for Fiat. I fail to understand why does Fiat allow everyone to walk (read trample) over it when it comes to being the segment first.
    prabhjot and Ravi like this.
  7. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Any reason why this thread should be kept open?

Same discussions again and again and again.

And please let us not take any random source who churns out a news article for publicity and put it up here. It would be good if some due diligence is done before starting a new thread.
    prabhjot and nkrishnap like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    There is a senior member of our Fiat-fan family who is similar: waiting for 2016 to take a look at the India-made Jeep C-Suv or the Fiat B-SUV. He's due to change his Linea but rather than go for the attractive Avventura would prefer waiting for a bigger option within the Fiat fold.

A pity, then, that Fiat will have no upgrades available for current Linea owners who might be looking at the D-segment for their next car: not everyone will wait for 2016. Not that the Linea (esp T-jet) is not a D-segment car already in substance but, you know how the 'status' thing is all too important in India, even for enthusiasts and cognoscenti. ;-)
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Me, on the other hand, I can fully understand why Fiat tends to be slow: they've been struggling with sales, wrestling with their sales and ASS JV with Tata, now with getting their new dealerships and service centres up to proper speed (pun!), all in a car baazar that is increasing in its hostility to the European brands. And i guess they are waiting for guarantees of minimum economies of scale (via Maruti and Jeep) before starting Indian manufacture of the 1.6 mjd.

Still, you are right: only because two years ago when they broke off from Tata sales they explicitly said the new Linea would come with the 1.6 mjd, thereby raising expectations. To not bring it was to break a promise, and undermine credibility somewhat. Not that I subscribe to the exaggerated rubbish about the 1.3 mjd being underpowered, but still!
  10. gkuppuprasath

gkuppuprasath Novizio

coimbatore
    Dont trust the words of fiat india..they will only talk..they wont implement...THEY ARE ALWAYS DAY SLEEPERS...THEY WILL NEVER WIN IN INDIA...