1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat may launch 1.5MJD in India

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by esskay, Aug 2, 2014.

1. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    I've started being very suspicious of these scoops by auto mags. They hardly have any credibility. Top that with Fiat's propensity to keep delaying things and one understand where these scoops belong.
    1 person likes this.
  2. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    According to Wikipedia .. Fiat doesnt have 1.5 diesel engine . Is he making a new one with same technology.
    Fiat Has
    1.9 (Twin Turbo)
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As per information (un-confirmed), Fiat is working to downsize existing 1.6 to 1.5, to qualify for the small car diesel norms.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I too saw that programme on bloomberg. Fiat has already lined up TATA and Maruti as customers for this 1.5 engines. GM may also follow for their ENJOY. Moto is , if you cant make money here, make it there!!

Abdul
    2 people like this.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    From what is seen from other manufacturers, the stroke is reduced to achieve the reduction in cc than the bore. Reducing the bore to achieve downsizing requires a lot more effort in terms of machining the whole engine block.

Technical experts please let me know if my understanding is correct.
  6. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You got it right. Let me put it very crude.

1.Reduce the ConRod length to reduce the stroke
    2.Shave some mm in the 1.6 liter block to maintain compression ratio.
    3.Use the head of 1.6 engine.

Or there is another option, which would work better with SI engine than CI engine.

1.Reduce the ConRod length to reduce the stroke
    2.Use Same 1.6 block
    3.Increase boost pressure to compensate for decrease in compression ratio.
    4.Use the head of 1.6 engine.

But in this method, the engine will be very inefficient before the nominal boost is achieved. Ie. Until turbo spools up, the engine may barely be efficient and powerful. So this set up may require a sequential turbo set up ie Two Turbo in small, big configuration where small turbo will kick in when flow is less at lower revs and large turbo will kick in during high flow/high RPM. So considering the complexity, option 1 will be employed.

Either ways, these smaller stroke versions will be more free revving than their longer stroke versions.
    5 people like this.
  7. multijetter

multijetter Regolare

Mumbai
    :A:AMaruti and Tata must have started making arrangements to put 1.5mjd.
    Now we ll be able to see nexon, sx4 cross and Maruti small SUV running on this heart. :x

Come on Fiat, don't do the same mistake this time. Keep it exclusively for you.
    1 person likes this.
  8. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    same feeling :A fiat should give a new gearbox.....make profits...kickout Tata and Maruti.....Then RULE THE ROADS.....
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    2016, for sure. ie., about 2 years away.

Meanwhile you can always buy the t-jet Avventura, as I am hoping to IF they offer the t-jet on it at all! ;-)

But more seriously: demands for the bigger diesel on the punto and the Avventura make little sense for many like me who find the 1.3 mjd driveable enough in traffic congestion while being potent in-gear on open roads. Sure it's no torque-monster but it's good enough for many, who would be better advised to sample the engine+gearbox for themselves rather than automatically join this 'bring the 1.6 mjd' chorus!
    3 people like this.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    The moment they do that I guess fial may have to file for bankruptcy ;)