1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat may fail again if there is no timely correction

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Pheonix, May 18, 2014.

1. Pheonix

Pheonix Timido

Chennai
    I am was servicing my palio sdx with RDC motors chennai since they started (2013 march).

Observation : The technicians are not trained by fiat to repair the vehicles, do lot of trail and error without deligence end up damaging the car.
    What I liked : The MD Mr. ChandrasheKar is nice person and trying his best to resolve the issues.
    An army commandeered by great general but with incapable foot soldiers is perfect for losing the war.

Need of the hour : FIAT should introduce technical training and process to technicians similar to that of followed by Japanese cos.
    Need to provide all technical tools and software to service center instead of asking service centers to make their own arrangement.
    Case : No FIAT service center in chennai has examiner or laptop with software and connectors to check Palio ECU even after one year seperation from TATA.

My Experience : (To make long story short i am prapharsing)
    My A/C blower went dead in March 2013 the ordeal start from there. Six month i could not used the car in between several trips to RDC for mounting and unmounting the AC unit.
    Used the car next six months Nov-2013 to April-2013 again issue with blower and Break oil leak. When RDC fixed blower issue the throw was reduced and clutch petdal not working properly.

Yeterday CRM Mr. Rghuram has commited to deliver with all the fixes this week.

----------
    Initially I was taken away by the justification service centers used to explain "Palio is old so technicians does not know much" on second thought I realised picture is scary for Fiat buyers because Fiat is going to ignore the older models Punto and Linea once new models are released. So my upgrade to punto is no hold.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I am not an expert in the first part of the topic you raised, but would like to give away my point of view based on what ever i have heard from technicians or SE or know.

1. FIAT has indeed given the training from SE to SA to Technicians at the job. It depends on these peoples interests to proceed or take more interest in it to explore more. Certainly FIAT cant force feed into these peoples head if they are least bothered.

2. If every equipment and stuffs given away by FIAT to the (assume Free) to FASS, how do you think FIAT would get a return for this crores of investment (all over india)? Lets assume if given for a fee, i do not think FASS would buy this idea as the choice of them buying their own equipments of their own choice would be narrowed.

3. If every thing is given away by FIAT, what seriousness do FASS show in anything? Its as good as Govt giving almost free stuffs to the people. People just become lazy, careless than otherway.

4. Certainly FIAT has enforced rules/policies for SA's to meet. Perhaps FIAT should keep track of how such policies are met by the FASS regularly. I guess it would good or better if all FIAT customers bring this issue and stress more to the FIAT to look at and solve it with the FASS owners.
  3. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    - This is your first post & it starts with a negative tone. Cannot help but notice that you are focusing on the unhappy part & also generalizing your personal opinion. Considering vehicles in our house & among my friends, my personal experience says that Fiat is much better than other brands in the market, at least in Pune.

- Your observations are related to a particular FASS, generalizing it time & again as ‘Fiat’ is Brand bashing in my opinion. Based on experiences of myself & a long list of other Fiat owners, I personally think it is offensive to generalize your thoughts since Fiat has been very supportive towards its customers and this includes people who own a Fiat & are not a member of any internet forum.

- Most of your observations seem to be ‘Jumping the Gun’.
    - “The technicians are not trained …” Are you enough qualified or competent to conclude that those people are not trained enough?
    - “do lot of trail and error …” Tell me any brand where ‘trials’ are not taken after completion of any work other than a zero complaints fluid / filter replacement scheduled service. Also on what basis are you saying that your vehicle was damaged?
    - “FIAT should introduce technical training …” How do you conclude that Fiat has not provided technical training?
    - “followed by Japanese cos …” Are you aware of ground reality of Japanese cars or are you generalizing based on the limited information / perception / prejudice that you seem to have?
    - “Need to provide all technical tools and software …” How do you conclude that Fiat does not provide relevant technical tools and software? Are you aware that dealer principals are expected to pay for such things & it is usually the dealer principal (at fault) that is trying to save money in such a situation?
    - “No FIAT service center in Chennai …” The only sensible line for which as I previously mentioned the possibility of the specific dealer principal being at fault.

- Your long story short is just a quick snap shot of the problem you have faced. What about the years of ownership with the vehicle in the past?

- “picture is scary for Fiat buyers..” & “… my upgrade to punto is no hold” is your personal opinion buddy, no words in that regards. As far as I am concerned people from my friends circle (who are prospective buyers) are planning on a Fiat based on my vehicle after their EMI’s for Maruti / VW / some other brand are done with. One of them even bought a used Linea as his first vehicle & is a very happy owner.

Regards

Amit
    4 people like this.
  4. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Hi Pheonix,

Your decision to buy the punto should grow stronger, not just based on the one unhapp incidents but on the basis of your happy ownership.
    While I don't agree on the competency part, to an extent I agree that they are not experienced enough to work on the Palio's.

As a Palio owner, since 2011 I never visited FASS/TASS, and I had more confidence on the road side mechanic untill last year before I got all my electricals got fixed at Pandit which none could fix.

One thing I noticed,FIAT is putting a tremendous effort to make customer experience happy. Be it Palio or Punto.
    Palio being 10Years old, will face some issue and take some time to fix.

Dont loose hope.....if you think your SDX is creating issue, it is a perfect time to upgrade to PUNTO!!
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Do you think any unhappy Palio owner would even think about buying a Fiat again?

It is completely Fiat's responsibility to instigate confidence and trust among the old Palio owners. How they are going to do this is upto them.
    3 people like this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I think you should follow you heart and mind phoenix. It's your money afterall. What you have mentioned sounds pretty familiar and tallies with many of my experiences as well. However, without getting into too much deliberation on the details of the issue let me try assert a few facts.

Fiat has made some things much better as far as manufacturing of cars in concerned. Where they win is the safety and providing a European grade car, albeit cheaper than others. There have been blunders no doubt as far as spares, service support and trained personal are concerned. The training should be better than their Japanese counter parts, agreed. But rather more important is that they should ensure the quality of outcome on the shop floor if I may suggest so. Which ofcourse looks easier said than done, unless they are really focused and smart like certain Japanese and Korean brethren.

As regards your choice of holding onto the decision, I can only say that the new Punto or Linea is not a whole lot of different beast, as far as minimal feature sets are concerned. So they pretty much share all the major parts and components. You should be concerned only if the manufacturer would stop production of Punto and Linea, which look like they will be not be gone for long considering that they are their bread and butter cars in the Indian facility.
  7. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    hmmmmm, thats also true.
    But I dont blame FIAT too. If you think practically, it is not possible to provide the training on the phased out products now.
    But they are trying their best to make the parts available and work towards resolving the customer issue.
    Check-up Capms, 10-20% discount all these are to boost the customer confidence and give life to the legends.

I recently changed the timing chain of the Palio, they did not corrected it for the first time because of the unavailability of the tool.
    I got a call from them, saying they got the tool and want to fix the timing issue.

What I want to say is, now that exchange scheme going on, he can trade his SDX for a decent amount, above the market price.
  8. XLR8er

XLR8er Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The technicians are people, not machines so that we can configure them accordingly and they will work seamlessly.

I hear you about RDC being a little behind in Palio services. However, you again chose to buy a Fiat vehicle means other than this issue, you are completely happy with Palio.

Well about japs. Fiat started giving ECU's in their cars (UNO) before any maruti 800 or alto did. Have faith in Fiat mate.

I stay in pune and I must say Fiat has done an excellent job in setting up FASS here. Pandit Auto in particular. Good people with professionalism and knowledge. Every time I have gone there my issues are solved. I sure hope RDC update their infrastructure with time.

If you are happy with you Palio. Do post your ownership report Buddy. And a warm Welcome to TFI

Cheers!
  9. Pheonix

Pheonix Timido

Chennai

[***Pheonix] My intention was to make Fiat better not to dissuade potential buyers.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Probably I decide on punto next week. I test drove many cars (Ford Classic, Swift, Polo, Duster, Xylo) except polo none matches the pleasure of driving a fiat. Polo is very risky and ASS is issue so i dropped.
    1 person likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    As for the Palio, fiat should have a twin approach, and cooperate on both. One is to provide the spares OTC and the other is to service it in house if the customer insists. Palio owners by this time, would be having their own service set ups in their towns and cities. Just give them the spares and they will be even more happy to give it to their self trained mechanics. It is when they are made to hunt for spares that they will lose patience.

Abdul