1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Marketing - Campaigns, Advertisements, Sales Promotions

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by NAREN64, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Whatever the hell that they plan to do is a waste of time if they are still going to stick with 10 year old cars and dodgy gearboxes. It is like getting Deepika Padukone to advertise for an ambassador - it will still not sell and rightly so.
    vista7155 likes this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

(a) the cars are 7 years old, not ten. And yet they're still the best at most things, and great-enough at others such as looks, and price<--->value. The gearbox has not one thing to do with Fiat's weakest-in-market sales, i assure you, even if there were anything at all 'dodgy' about it. Besides, 'Deepika Padukone' is being asked to peddle not an Ambassador but the more 'gorgeous' than her: a Padmini (Fiat 1100): get your metaphors straight! :)

(b) they did not sell 'well' even when new (i know, we bought a linea in 2010.)

(c) the launch of 'all new' models does not mean the slightest increased chance of success, adjusting for the hundreds of crores it will take to make and market them. It will likely be a large waste of money (whose? yours/ours?), if not also of 'time' (whose?)

(d) besides, they're launching several 'new' models already: the Abarths already, now the Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, and of course the localized JEEP C-suv next year, followed by another, even more affordable smaller JEEP model. Each of these models will yield many many times the margins for them and esp for dealers+service centres than any FIAT ever did or will in india? One of these may be the equivalent of 10 Fiats sold, financially for dealers, if not much more.

(e) it is not clear they will commit to a launch of all-new FIAT models at all, say in 2018/19, IF JEEP domestic sales and especially exports are good-enough

(f) it is very NOT clear at all, yet, that it is worth the effort (time and money), since prospects are dim, as Ford has just discovered with the epic fail (esp in terms of adding to the already thousands of crores of accumulated losses that Ford already had in India) of the made-for-India Figo and Aspire, following-on from the dismal even-worse-than-Linea fate of the Fiesta. As have all firms bar just 3 or 4 firms/brands, which is why none (not Toyota nor VW nor Skoda nor Chevy has an 'all-new' mass-market model or two on the anvil through at least all of 2018)

(g) i'd still vote for the new/renewed FIAT-JEEP combined fca dealerships being focussed on the planned and commited-to and invested-for india-made JEEPs (the c-suv/new Compass, and the emerging-market's special b-suv/Renegade), with maybe one or two mainly-for-export but premium-priced-in-India FIAT models (500X? 'New Avventura'? new Toro suv?) of a c2/d-segment variety. Small compact dealer body covering no more than say 40-50 cities. Plus Abarths and one or two cbu FIAT models (e.g., the 124 Spider), to go with the 3-4 cbu JEEP ones (Wrangler, GC, upcoming G Wagoneer). Plus Maserati, now at 2 new dealerships, from say 6-8 delaerships/cities.

As you say: the 'mass' market like for the Punto and Linea is likely just a 'waste of time' and money to attempt to penetrate, yet again. FIATs have no usp-s whatsoever in the Indian mass market, given the latter's (on-average) priorities, preferences and tastes. And has too much negative-'equity' in the minds of most, who will in any case not-even think-of/consider one.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Ravi_M, linea4me, jackharrisw and 2 others like this.
  3. Krunal Bhatt

Krunal Bhatt Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Ahmedabad
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Raj_pol
    Agreed that they have just two models since last 8-10 years. BUT they still look fresh and new, because they are very rare on the road. :banghead:. like an endengered speices. If common FCA program works( And I have strong feeling that it will) FCA can afford to bring newer and better models+ Brands. Like Alpha Romeo.:happy:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
    Ravi_M likes this.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Krunal Bhatt You think they are fresh and new. Most of India does not - why is it so difficult sir to understand that simple fact?
    If they are serious they should chuck the Linea and The Punto altogether and maybe start selling the Jeep models with relevant pricing.

It would be stupid to cry like a little girl if they price a Jeep at 1.5 Crore (I heard that would be the asking price for a Grand Cherokee) and then they fail to sell even one.

@prabhjot I would not have normally replied but an old Fiat more gorgeous than Deepika. :dead:
    :dead::dead:
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Really? You find Deepika, a mere pretty 2D image, 'gorgeous'? Ah the good days of waheeda rahman, and later mumtaz as also the greatest: Helen and of the Padmini/1100. ;)

Selling cars is NOTHING like any other consumer item, it is not an fmcg, a watch or say a smartphone. e.g., The JEEP Grand Cherokee SRT v8 petrol will be the one that will sell at 1 crore plus, still lower than a BMW x5M or a Range Rover Sport which sell for 1.largex crores.

If they sell even 1, they and the delaer will make more than, who knows, but i'd guess 100 if not 200+-(!) current Linea-s! Besides, they're for brand-building and vital-for-the dealer-finances till the affordable desi-made one, the c-suv comes in mid/late 2017 (well below Ford Endeavour prices, let alone the Fortuner). And followed by, presumably in 2018: either the Renegade (desi edition) or a Renagde-like Fiat 'new Punto' chassis and suspension-based model to go up against the Duster/SCross/Creta/Safari/Xuv500.

Depending on how THAT goes i could see them NOT launching anymore desi-made FIATs, since if the dealer's business case is healthy-enough, they could instead, like they're doing all over LatAm, Europe and China+Japan right now retail the new Alfa Romeo-s as a luxury-sporty lineup alongside JEEP, going up full-on against the German trio+JLR+Volvo+(by then)Lexus.

It is NOT sales numbers that count, it is sustainable margins, for the firm but esp for the dealerships and their after-sales centres.

There MAY be no, or at any rate, a minimal need for high-volume mass-market FIAT models. At least that is what i'd be looking to do, as the PLAN A. Remember JEEPs get exported from India starting in 2017, and there will be 2 Tata suv-s sharing a lot with the Jeep c-suv too. Good industrial capacity-utilisation, and a steady push towards ONLY premium models (Abarths, Jeeps, hopefully Alfa Romeo-s by say 2019)....aur kya chahiye, as long as the dealers are making good and sustainable margins in say 30-50 +- cities/micromarkets?

@Raj_pol

Mod Note: Kindly use proper punctuation and do not type like this...... Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2016
    Ravi_M likes this.