1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Marketing - Campaigns, Advertisements, Sales Promotions

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by NAREN64, Jun 15, 2010.

1. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot agree with you on they should look at tata motors (but then why they were forced to say good bye Tata is world known :) )
    Not agree with you on the spares pricing of Hyundai.
    I have changed my Verna's front door priced 10K, so just wanted to check with the competition so asked for the Front door price of SX4 and it was 11k
    this was incidence of about 1.5 to 2 years before.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot You agree to what I keep saying. The key to selling in India or anywhere else in the world is

1. Keep making small tweaks every 2 years - keeps the product fresh (which H, MS & HY do)

2. Marketing - which means giving the customer what he wants - In India this means bling, accessories and mileage. not ride, handling etc.

3. Most important - The slightly rounded shape of the Punto - a lot of folks do not like that design, includes designs like the indica, older i20, i10 etc. Folks prefer the edgy designs so what sells in Italy might not sell here. I myself find the Fiat 500 ugly as well as the Beetle. good looking cars (my perception) - check the Mazda stuff awesome designs on a hatchback.
  3. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    also i would like to say that sells come from looks also, if you look at the previous generation Hyundai Verna ( or transform) it was not selling as desired by Hyundai, what they did kept engine and platform same added new fluidic design and very good interiors + loaded with features (which is their USP) and see the result what happened ? it was a segment topper almost 2-3 years untill Honda came with their 1.5 iDtec in City.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FIAT India is dumpyard for the Old designs, Man still Punto and Linea since 6 years now its shame.See how Renault havs grown with mighty duster.
    if FIAT sells millions of engine then why not a single new launch of Panda,500X and 500L.
    FIAT is having all the varieties in different segments its the matter of strategy.

Competitors

Punto = Ritz,i20,swift etc.
    Linea = Verna,Honda City.

Punto has compared with all generations of i20 :D Now they have turned into Elite i20 which looks totally different.
    Linea still in the era of Classic verna :D . Waiting since years for come back with new design.New Linea big flop.

Panda = ?
    Doblo = Tempo Traveller.
    Both will be a good launch.

500L= Ertiga,Xylo.
    this is similar to Xylo with nice headroom.

500X = Mini SUV in League.
    Stylish mini SUV.

Jeep,india knows only Mahindra Jeep.

i have seen FIAT trucks also :)

FIAT has everything dont know what is stopping them,if something is stopping them they have to overcome with all the issues to stay in Indian Market.FIAT India a "Dumpyard" for older design.

500L.jpg

500X.jpg

Panda.jpg
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Ganges exactly, the new 500 X launch in India with the rest of the world would have shown that Fiat is serious. Fiat sells some 600 pieces of the Punto and Avventura combined. Might as well sell a T-jet Punto, a 500X and a 1.6 MJD Linea. Even if you still sell a 150 pieces there is at least something to brag about objectively. (Figures, power, torque etc..)
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

How did you come to the rhetorical figure of 600 Evo+Avventura combined? It's even less;)....but only in Nov-Dec, inventory clearance, discount months. Jan and Feb will reveal the real number...more like 900-1000 i'd say, considering most Avventura bookings will be delivered only in Jan, or so I have been told by a couple of different dealers, and by others. i.e., the Avventura will add a couple of hundred or more to the Punto's solitary sales. Incremental progress! The horror of it: the sales should've doubled or trebled, dammit!:p:D Let's see.

We keep refusing to recognize the 'Maruti' in the room: the vast majority of car buyers in India just will NOT even consider a Fiat (or a non-Duster Renault, or even a VW or Nissan or Chevy: look at their sales numbers trends).

Why will a resale-and-ASS-perception/reputation-obsessed- enough-to-pay-a-lakh-or-even-two more than than a Linea (v/sCity) or Evo (v/s i20 elite) or Avventura (v/s Ecosport) kind of guy even consider a 500L or a Panda, both of which are eons ahead of the Mobilio/Ertiga or WagonR/i10 respectively, in design, build and material quality and cost?

Hyundai can sell bling and gizmos, tincans-with-lipstick-and-nice-ASS, that does NOT mean Fiat will be able to. Why? (a) the brand has a DNA that cannot be violated. Hyundai is Korean, Fiat is European. (b) why should the average buyer here buy a Fiat (or a Ford) here if it is a fascimile of a Suzuki/HY/Honda/Toyota?

Totally concur on the t-jet in the Evo, on the Abarth (higher tune?), on the Avventura, + amt gearbox on the Evo and maybe even the Linea 1.3 mjd, hell why not the dual-clutch DCT on all the t-jets?!

Priced higher of course, and so not many further sales at all!??:mad::p
    Raj_pol likes this.
  7. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot I think I need to correct you on two things. Contrary to perception all cars made by Maruti did not sell well. Take the StingRay for example. It sank without a trace. The SX4, the Baleno also failed miserably.The point is the auto-maker learns from these mistakes, I do not see that in Fiat. Same in the case of Hyundai, the elite i20 is an improvement on the former version and sells more.
    Not all gizmos are bling - a European car can have a good music system, a non rubbery gear system (I find it great, my dad who is an older gentleman will not) and a rear view camera just to give an example. Can you please tell me how will the above violate Fiat's DNA.

We both agree though if we are not to sell, we might as well have the best and not sell. Like 4/6 airbags, T-jet, 1.6 MJD etc. Again as I mentioned in another post got a Maruti obsessed friend to finally buy a base Polo. Why - because it is also well built and has airbags in the base version. Now tell me will that also violate Fiat's DNA :D
    acechip and prabhjot like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol Yeah but will additional sales result? Profitable ones i mean (not discounted give-aways)? The Linea has the t-jet and a great equipment list too and a 1+lakh lower cost and 150000 warranty and cheaper spares (not even started counting discounts yet)...to what sales effect? The i20 has seen a steep cut in equipment, an increase in prices, a reduction of warranties, and is outselling the previous i20 (VERY similar to the new one under the skin) 3-to1. How come? Because of the mother brand's 'vague hearsay trust and premium factor' + sub-brand ("i20") cachet.

How to develop such cachet and such trust/hearsaid-certifications, when there is a lingering however lapsed perception to the contrary? Fiat's problem in India. And that of several other car firms too.

Lots of incremental steps, many of which have already been taken, many (like engines and/or amt-s) they'll take in 2015, precisely so that come 2016 the brand is capable of selling-well an all-new Linea (replacement) and an SUV etc.

To have launched an all-new car or two in a market with a skewed sense of what a good car is (for), with an on-going industrial sales slowdown/recession (even Maruti sales only started growing again 3 months ago), and with the brand-trust problems that Fiat shares with several other non-East Asian car makers would have been to have LOST epic amounts of money and further emperilled the brand. The cost of a new launch, even of an engine variant, is very expensive: everything from spares supplies to dealers to manufacturing supply chains and manpower retraining/additions.

'Launch this and that too' is a very glib thing to say and expect of any car firm: cars are not FMCG items or apparel. Not that they have not or won't do it but they have no choice but to be incremental...till 2016.

Now, in the bargain: many will get to enjoy a t-jet Evo (hot hatch heaven) or Avventura t-jet (crosshatch ecstacy)...at embarassingly good, bargain, prices?!! ;):D And, sadly, Nagesh B. has had to leave. :(
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

Fiat will not have any overnight success in future, as prabhjot has mentioned, but has been averse to making updates too. Between 2009 and 2012, the only thing they changed was ground clearance, added automatic wipers/headlamps and they actually removed the T-Jet as an offering, and then came up with this most atrocious ad campaign I have seen recently. They almost killed the Linea right there. A huge opportunity lost.

Come 2013, they once again introduced the T-Jet and hardly ever made a single ad about it. Why ? No one knows. Then they came up with another stupid ad about the Fiat Linea Classic, essentially relegating the car to the taxi segment (doesnt work there too). So how will any "lay" consumer think about the Linea ?
    prabhjot and Raj_pol like this.
  10. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    The simple reason :
    I can see wagon r's ad and swifts every 20 minutes in Tamil tv channels...
    and Fiat's 30 sec avvy ad once in my life...

And y does still fiat manufacture the stupid FIRE engine? And import the t-jet it's anyway a FIRE with a turbocharger..y couldn't they just manufacture the 1.2 and 1.4 tjet

And where is the most important term the mango man wants- mileage - the swift gives you diesel like mileage in a petrol... Be it tin can build...but the weight differs only by a 100 kg...pretty much less than two adults... If the swift can make 86hp and return 21 kmpl on a 1.2 petrol....

FIAT couldn't even achieve neither real time power nor a relative mileage of 18 kmpl...with the 1.2 or the 1.4....

If Fiat could produce such amazing diesel which no-one succeeded...y couldn't it make a petrol which every other company is proud of having one...?