1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Marketing - Campaigns, Advertisements, Sales Promotions

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by NAREN64, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Panda :- Looks like Ritz.

FIAT should launch all new Sedan and SUV, should stop prodcution of Linea completely.
    Raj_pol likes this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Fiat's problems are NOT in the low margin, risk-averse first time car-as-appliance-buyer-on-tight-budget a- or b1-segments: that is what the Tata jv and the supplies of engines and amt-s to Suzuki are for.

Their problems are in the b2- and c-segments where Fiat cars can remain Fiats (Euro-spec engineering, Italian design) i.e., true to the basic Fiat DNA .....and still potentially sell.

And so the Panda is too sophisticated a car in its chassis and suspension engineering to possibly compete here. The nuvo Uno would simply not have USPs to fight the Maruti-s, Hyundai-s and Tata-s.

So far they are okay-ish with the launch of new dealerships and ASS, whatever the sales number deficits of even the facelifted Linea/Punto+Avventura. It's still a recessionary marketplace for all the non-dominant firms (M, HY and H). And in 2016 will come an all-new b-suv and a Linea replacement (Palio platform, 100 kg lighter though).

And so 2015 has to and can only be the year of new engine variants, amt variants and brand promotion/advertising (tv, online, offline and 'below the line'). Along with the Jeeps 'that cometh'!

It will be interesting to see where the brand is by 2016. Will it sustain the launch of say the brilliant 500X @ 14 lakhs? Or the upcoming all-new Fiat 500, localized, at Indian cost structures? Viaggio/Ottimo?

I doubt it, Jeep + the already announced launches/refreshes are the way to go.

They aren't missing products or engines or any such, they're missing brand power/pull/trust. And so innovative marketing, scaled up throughout 2015 so that the Jeep and the 2016 all-new launches can succeed better. FiatChrysler is by now renowned in the US and even in Europe for their breakthrough, clutter-busting advertising under Olivier Francois. They have to find the right scale and pitch for the very difficult, much more closed-minded and (perceived)risk-averse Indian car public too, in 2015!
    nikhil0405 likes this.
  3. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    they also can change the plan and who have stopped them from introducing MPV on Linea platform ? which can compete with Ertiga segment or Innova segment.
    another hatchback like Ottimo and sedan Viaggio ?? who have stopped them ?
    by the way products plans need to be revised from time to time. shouldn't the plan designed for 2017 will be a 5 years old plan in 2017 ?
    who knows what will be the market condition then.
    nikhil0405 likes this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    A car company like Fiat or Nissan or even Skoda/VW that is weak in overall 'brand-pull-cum-trust' terms faces a chicken-or-egg situation. Can't sell more and excite the market with your brand without new cars. BUT, equally: can't sell (new) cars without brand-pull-and-trust.

And so: it just takes time!

But yeah @dadasaheb : much more and better advertising, including off-line (events) and below the line. More intriguing engine and feature-laden variants of the existing cars which are, as we all know, great as it is.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  5. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot At the least a T-jet Punto and Avventura. Just for the brag value - for once we need to brag on an objective parameter (like most BHP or fastest to 100) rather then on areas like ride-quality and handling which cannot be directly measured. They need to keep the buzz in 2015. Only Jeep in 2015 which is not getting them volumes anyway will screw up Fiat. Speed is of the essence and the big three have enough launches next year to keep the Mango man excited. :D
    dadasaheb and prabhjot like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

The big advantage with Jeep will be: (a) a brand that starts with a clean slate, unlike Fiat in India which in the public mind has historical bad/negative memories about ASS (b) a premium though not 'luxury' brand with good margins (c) very very competitive products across a wide price range.

And so I do hope they bet a lot more than just a locally assembled ckd Grand Cherokee, a CBU Wrangler and the end-2016 (promised) all-new C-Suv for localized manufacture and exports.

i.e., local assembly or part localizatiion of the Cherokee. There's a big void when it comes to big SUVs above the Fortuner/Santa Fe and the 55+ lakhs for the best selling Merc M-class or the 45 lakh Land Rover Freelander.

i.e., They MUST move on this, it is a wide-open barn-door of an opportunity: the Renegade, priced above the Duster/S-Cross/ix25 but well below the Fortuner. No competition!

The C-SUV for local manufacture and exports is from all credible reports out of the US going to be near identical under the skin to the Renegade, and very similar in its architecture and modules to the Fiat 500X. Ergo, if they can do the one they can (and SHOULD!) do the other(s)! The D-segment is growing strongly again.

Have no inside info but one can easily and plausibly imagine that they'll make 5 or 10 more times the margins on a single Jeep at whatever price, however high or low, than on an Evo or Linea (discounted!)

PS: the above is mostly selfish propaganda, since I, like @acechip, you, and many others, might/will love to buy the 500X but if not would settle for the Renegade?!! If money were no object of course. :p:cool:
    dadasaheb and acechip like this.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

- Agree. But, they need to do more marketing then they have ever done in the last 10 years.
    - You are talking about the 12-20 lac space. Let us not write off Mahindra just yet. The XUV remains a compelling option, its niggles notwithstanding. But the opportunity is also linked to the first point AND, feature-rich capabilities. The argument that if Fortuner can get away with just 2 airbags, so can Fiat, will not work. Toyota's brand equity in this segment is unshakeable at the moment.

- we are again talking about low volume products here..so my 50-75 units per month is quite accurate.

I will buy only if they sell the car with all the requisite features and not just harping on built-like-a-tank attribute.
    prabhjot, Raj_pol and dadasaheb like this.
  8. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    below is the comment of one Moderator of TEAM BHP in a thread of Hyundai sold more than 4lakh cars in 2014 :

We've got 1 car of that number! Just bought a Grand i10 for my bhabhi.

On a serious note, success that is well-deserved. Segment-best interiors, good feature list, nice styling, excellent reliability & after-sales, frequently updated products and great pricing. Certainly not an easy feat as we see other global giants struggling in one / many of these areas.

In this fiercely competitive market, Hyundai & Maruti are going from strength to strength. Forget losing market share, they're actually taking some from newer players!
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @dadasaheb The key is frequently updated I feel. I mean if you want volumes, nobody cares about timeless looks that has not changed from the time of our Independence. Such machines are for collectors and they sell few and far between.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @dadasaheb

Even if what he said were true, which it is not entirely (especially the claim about great pricing, and good pricing of spares and after sales and warranties where Hyundai is among the most expensive in the industry): does not mean that one can suddenly overcome brand-perception problems just by copying them. I mean Fiats are reliable and superbly built: but how many know and acknowledge that? They are brilliantly priced and well-equipped with (among)the lowest costs-of-ownership, and warranties etc but....)

What he says may be true of already-trusted brands (by the 'lay' folks). These points don't apply as a recipe to brands that have historical baggage.

eg., the new i20 elite is on the same old platform with the same engines and transmission as the previous one, and is priced higher than it with much less equipment than it too. And yet it has been accepted as all-new-and-exciting...and is outselling the old i20 3-to-1.

Sure they have no choice but offer more-of-everything at a lower-than-anyone price, with lots and better marketing too and further improved dealers/ASS: but it is not and will not be easy to move the sales needle. The herd is with Hyundai etc, and against Fiat, VW, Skoda, Nissan, Chevy, even Renault despite the Duster.

I guess Fiat must look to their partner Tata Motors' on-going sales revival with the Zest (and Bolt) for inspiration and marketing lessons, rather than Hyundai, Honda and Maruti S?!