1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea Tjet: AC trips after driving 6-7 KM.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by viveksonkhla, May 9, 2012.

1. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Folks,

I have been facing this strange problem with MY car's AC system for past couple of days. AC works perfectly fine when I start the car early morning or after parking for 6-7 hours. But as soon as I cover 6-7 KM AC trips and cooling stops all together. But there is a twist to the problem. When I push my car and drive fast the cooling begins and then stops the moment I break.

Any suggestions and insights on this issue would be great help.

Cheers
    Vivek
  2. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Overheating? Have you checked the temp needle when this issue occurs? the fan might have stopped working. Also check the engine coolant level.
    Better take to TASS :p
  3. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Coolant is topped....radiator fan is working fine... did some calling one of the TASS guys said could be a Thermostat issue..... one says could be a gas issue....Me thinks its about a fuse gone crazy.....Took an appointment for this Saturday to a nearest TASS.

These Fiat Customer Support guys are just kids...all they know is to give customer directions to nearest TASS. They offer no technical know how.
  4. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    Fan not working is due to Earthing issue for sure. Go to some auto electrician rather than SC
  5. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Most probably overheating issue, please do update us on the resolution.
  6. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Here is something interesting that I noticed: If I am driving my car at night the AC works perfect.... if I am driving my car in shade (Basements) the ac works perfect..... I think there is something wrong with the temperature censor..... can anyone tell me where is the temperature censor located in Linea...I guess this is the round little thing in the center of the dashboard where Windscreen meets the bonnet.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    No that is not temperature sensor, it is a Solar Sensor
    Temp Sensor is located on the back of Auto AC module and maybe other places too but not sure
    To check if temp sensor is culprit, set auto ac to Lo mode and see if ac works.
    I suspect your AC is low on gas as the Ac cools good in morning and shade and doesn't when temp is high.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  8. maverick

maverick Amatore

What's the use of the solar sensor? I was thinking that was the internal temperature sensor.

Sent from my iPhone
  9. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks for correcting me...

Did that and AC works fine till driving 6-7 km then stops cooling. It works fine the moment I enter Basement Parking at my office....works fine for 6-7 KM then stops cooling... am doing a small test today...covering the Solar sensor and then driving ...if the system works fine then Sensor is to blame...

If my today's test gives expected results then I can tell for sure whats wrong...

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

@Mavrick: See this : Troubleshoot Automatic Climate Control System

Alright folks: Diagnosis done....The Solar Sensor is the culprit...I drove 20 KM in hot Delhi Sun today with Solar Sensor Covered with a dark cloth...to my surprise the air conditioner worked at all temperature settings....without any issue....

Now the tough part begins ..... getting this sensor replaced under warranty....and even tougher would be to convince TASS guys that solar sensor is faulty ...

or

may be there is some error in my cars computer system... if that's the case then we are sorted in 1 hour flat....

Who would have thought that this could also be a potential issue.

Will keep you guys posted.
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Shouldn't be.
    You can always repeat the process if they insist. In my experience, they should agree.