1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea queries from non-FIATian

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aashish Kulkarni, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Aashish Kulkarni

Aashish Kulkarni Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Although I'm non-fiatian till date, we had Premier Padmini old Fiat roots for 10 years in our family. Later I went for WagonR and I have been driving it for over 10 years. We need one more car in our family and I was contemplating Linea as we already have hatch back.
    I saw used car market and see that Fiat Linea are being sold at what can be called as 'desperate sale' rates. A 4 year old Linea Diesels is being sold for as low as 3.5 to 4 lakh. Which is less than half of it's on-road price! I have some questions which I think none other than team-fiatians can answer:
    1. Why resale of Fiat cars are so low? Is there any problem with Fiat cars?
    2. What about spare availability in open market?
    3. Is ground clearance of Fiat Linea Diesel sufficient or is it one of those Honda Cities which scraps every other speed braker in town.
    4. Any advice on cars to avoid (e.g. cars during certain years because of certain limitations in those cars)?
    5. What in-city and on-highway average one can expect from Linea Diesel?
    6. What are major niggling factors in Linea (if any)?
    7. Any member from Pune who wants to sell his Linea... I am interested.
  2. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Aashish,
    Welcome to TFi.

Answer to the first question of yours.
    Just searched on olx for Honda City & Linea, 640+ honda city compared to 60+ Linea in Pune. This is not a huge count compared with City.

The obvious reasons or the common Indian mentality of selling the cars after 4-5 years. There are some instances where people needs to sell the cars due to relocation which might be a desperate sale.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First welcome to Team Fiat.

On your queries, here is my take -

Why resale is low, I don't think there can be a definite answer, but normal car sales itself is low, and Fiat has some historical baggage, these could be few reasons. But few owners has got decent resale values too.
    And your second question is very generic, there will be few issues with all the cars. There is nothing exceptional with Fiat cars.
    Spares are not a issue, but will not be available normally in open market. Through service center it can be bought. And other option is 99rpm.com (http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/fiat-spares-from-99rpm.9454/).
    Newer Lineas has best ground clearance in the market. Earlier ones were bit low, but certainly better than Honda City. Very few has complains on ground clearance.
    No idea :).
    City FE will vary, it should be in range of 12-15. On highway, should be over 18. Check this thread - http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/fuel-efficiency-of-fiat-cars-in-india.205/
    Check this - http://teamfiat.com/threads/minor-issues-squeaks-rattles-and-niggles.561/. But you will notice newer car owners have not reported as much older versions.
    Use/Check - http://teamfiat.com/forums/tfi-classifieds.43/ section.
    limraj, Crazy Fiatian, ramjn and 3 others like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hard to answer. It would depend on your requirements and suitability. Personally, I will avoid unsafe cars (aka tin cans).
  5. Aashish Kulkarni

Aashish Kulkarni Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks all for your valuable replies. Some of the people whom I spoke said-
    1. Pickup of Linea is very poor. It's very stable even at 100+speed but in city traffic it's not so fast i.e. lacks acceleration in less than 40kmph speeds. Is it true?
    2. How reliable is the car? E.g. we have seen many Tata cars have reliability problems. They have some problems or the other. How is Linea or Punto for that matter in this aspect?
  6. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    1. test drive yourself to judge the pickup and stuff related to it.
    2. for reliability your can go through various ownership reviews.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The first two gears are short. So it does gives a feeling off poor pick up. Combined with that the low end power delivery from 1000- 1400 RPM is poor. The reason is because the mid range and top end is super strong and free revving.

The problem is, we stop giving throttle input somewhere at 1800 Rpm in first two gears thinking that engine has lost its steam. But the fun start only after that RPM range. Try taking the Linea up to 3600 RPM in second gear. It will be off like a petrol car and when you shift to third and accelerate, the guy next to you will be in your rear view mirror.( Dont try this in City. 99% when the linea takes off, the guy in front would have braked.:p)We need to adjust the way we drive for a Fiat. The plus side is you can potter in first and second in bumper traffic with only Clutch/Declutch and brake and have interesting performance in highway.

Just keep the engine in its power band. If you are off the power band, then its as good as flogging a dead horse.[/QUOTE]
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    hi, man.

It's a small displacement heavily-turbocharged engine on a big heavy car, and so the gearing and the tuning are for a mix of (a) fuel efficiency (b) city traffic driving ease AND yet without compromising (c) higher speeds ability at lower rpm in higher gears, and in-gear (20 to 60, 40 to 100) acceleration.

It does (a) and (c) truly brilliantly but with a slight trade-off of (b). BUT: (b) is never a problem once one understands and adjusts to the character of the engine. (b) is a complaint by first time or TD impressionistic drivers, it's not an issue once once adjusts one's pattern of revving and gear-shifting.

cheers
    Aashish Kulkarni likes this.
  9. Aashish Kulkarni

Aashish Kulkarni Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Wonderful responses making me more motivated to go for Linea. However, I cannot afford new. I have seen adverts of many 2009-2010 Linea emotion/ emotion pk Diesel which are selling for tempting prices. Now the doubt is- what is the difference between 2009 and 2014 model? I read somewhere that fiat improved ground clearance in one of the years. Which year did they do that? Also, can ground clearance be increased in 2009 models using parts from newer Linea? What else has changed? I think Engine is same but then I see new Linea has better fuel efficiency figures.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I'd urge you to go for a post-2012 Linea: those cars are niggle-free, apparently. Of course when it comes to the engine, body work, electricals, electronics and suspension even the earliest Lineas were excellent. And yeah, you can always get the GC upgrade kit: it makes the lower-speed ride a bit stiffer without affecting handling noticeably. The new 2014 Linea suspension tuning etc are much better than the ride-handling combo of lifted older Lineas.