1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT Linea MJD on Khardung La, the 'Highest Motorable Road in the World'...

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Tellmepleaze, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Here is the Linea after the 11000 kms tour through the worst terrains, as if nothing happened... 22nd day peacefully at home.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    8 people like this.
  2. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Sorry friends,:)
    Please allow me to continue, but pardon me for slow pace due to so many preoccupations and many things waiting for me to do after 24 days absence. But I will carry on with lot of photos. As a photographer, my camera was hardworking with the Linea and somewhere at dusty place few dust particles got inside too, at the mirror portion(When changing lenses). You may see a small spot on some shots.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    You have given a biggest relief by posting Linea with as if-nothing -had happened look. Now we can watch movie without a worry about what will happen to hero, Oh sorry heroine.:wow
    Please go ahead. Who will spot a dot on a shot when Linea dominates the shots?:D

Note : There is another Punto 90HP from Banglore which had visited Ladakh.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Again sorry for the delay.

Yesterday evening there was a Reception arranged at Hotel Wyte Fort, Cochin by Fiat lovers and general Driving enthusiasts, some 25 people. The driving Guru HV Kumar was attended, he came all the way from Mumbai. all were enthralled.... :dancing

In fact my Ladakh plan was induced by this man, with his travelogues and expert advises in Tbhp.

True, I am travel-hungry; every year do some travel: if no foreign tour, inland drives.
    Europe 4 times, US 2 times(second time after touching Newyork, from airport itself hopped onto Amtrack to go a diagonal 'surface-tour' Chicago, Las Vegas, California, Houston to Miami and back through Georgia to Newyork: all by train and bus for 30 days, to really mingle with regional landscapes and people, nature...)
    Also China, Hongkong, Singapore....

Enthused is driving, but never thought one can/ a car can cover 1000s of kms. HV Kumar shown me way !

All smiles nu.jpg
    8 people like this.
  5. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Sorry slow uploading rate makes confusions, double posts... Please clean up if possible.

The Linea.jpg

The Linea low.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    2 people like this.
  6. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Actually I sold my Indica thinking long drives in mind. people advised to go for an SUV, at least a Xylo kind. But Linea was a calculated risk taken.
    Preoccupations wont allow me travel frequently, though very interested. Same time an SUV is a waste of money on all fronts: price, fuel cost and maintenance.

Also the wify...
    When I mooted buying a Scorpio/ Xylo/ Tavera instead of a car she quipped " Why not a Mini bus if you are going for a 'Van' anyway, so that we can include my family too..."

I quickly paid advance for the Linea, which I shortlisted, if go for a car.

(I do not know how you like the narration: every photo and an explanation or photos back to back all and a final writeup to conclude? As many photos available, taken at different terrains like Rajastan, Kashmir, Zojila, Kargil.....etc. )
    4 people like this.
  7. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Even last year i planned the Ladakh drive, by the time September passed. I determined this year. And found late August Sept. is best time: maximum greenery at barren areas too after rains, and most of roads repaired, medium climate.
    Thus fixed date 4th September, finally. One of my photographer friend was interested to join, and later his relative too. But my friend will join in Srinagar by flight on 9th evening. i informed Fiat India, they advised a Flag-off if possible, Fiat officials too will join. My friend-circle came in, arranged a ceremony, flagging off by local CI of Traffic police...(Good omen:D).

Flag off by CI.jpg
    Flag off.jpg

And a fiat banner too...

Sagar-Himalayan Yathra 2012 Flag-Off at Ernakulam.jpg
    9 people like this.
  8. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Sept 4th at 5 am we 2 started.
    Rains, rains....continuous rains.
    At Palghat at about 6.30 left front wheel thudded into a 1 foot deep rain filled pothole,within 10 minutes become flat ! My friend said 'Bad omen'...
    No way, I steered her to the nearest compound of Bar hotel. The watchman came running, slightly cursing too: 'Early morning, came for booz, naalaayak !' sort of muttering.
    Seeing a big Gaadi he excused "No sir, no Brandi at this time, no chance, not even 'Number 2" (unlawful sale at wee hours).

I had big trouble explaining what is our real problem. He heaved and readily volunteered to assist changing tyre, half an hour, we are on road again.
    I was in terror; no reserve tyre, it is raining and still lot of 'Kerala roads' to cover !

I was double careful, but nothing happened, we entered TN roads and to L&T toll roads. I was looking for any tyre shop, but no avail.
    At last at Salem city we found one, the tyre can be patched, but not good for long travel, he said. I bought a new one, and continued till Chengappilly where the decent high way starts.
    2 people like this.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am confused. Chengapally comes after Coimbatore and 100 kms before Salem. If you have changed tyre at Salem why would you drive to Chengapally again?
    1 person likes this.
  10. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Congratualtions on the superb drive.
    Nice travelogue, keep it coming.