1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea MJD oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Prasanth, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Prasanth

Prasanth Timido

Abu Dhabi
    Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hi all..

Im entirely new to this site although im a previous fiat owner (Uno and Siena)... Hope I will get an answer for my problem.. Im working in abu dhabi for the past 6 months.. Im currently owning a Logan and last week I bought a used Linea MJD emotion, which has done almost 85,000 km... My friend, who is a mechanic, took that car for me after test driving it. Performance was acceptable at TD... At workshop while doing regular service, he noticed significantly low oil level (may be 2 litre only). He suspected a weak engine, but fortunately everything seems normal (turbo, oil leak, pickup, smoke everything normal)...

The previous owner is saying that it is 7000 km after service (I dont believe) ago. Need to know if there is any possible reason for drop in oil level. Can I go with my linea or should I give it back to him (Rest everything in perfect condition)..

Pls help
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Prasanth, have you made the payment already, for returning it in-case of engine issues. When you buy a used car, generally you check the oil level, oil condition and mostly also change the oil. I will recommend you to change the oil completely with Shell Helix 10W40 to be changed after 5K kms. This Oil Can will cost about 1400Rs. Change the filter too without fail. And better still if possible clean the sump and install a new packing. This way all the old residue can be cleaned thoroughly and metal particles if any will be noticed and removed. Then run it locally and check the oil at regular intervals like say a few days in beginning and then every week for some time.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @Prasanth Pattathil If you are buying a used car you should never miss oil level check. Too low oil level may be indication of engine burning too much oil. How do you know that? I have seen experienced mechanics doing the tests below when evaluating used car:

(a) when the engine is off open the oil filler cap and see inside. Inside should look clean. If you see black deposits it is indication of engine burning oil.
    (b) open the oil filler cap when the engine is heated up and idling. Any smoke/fumes showing up there is indication of worn out engine (cylinders/piston rings worn) burning oil.
    (c) continuing from (b) above (hot engine, idling, oil filler cap removed) - rev the engine to 3000 or 4000 rpm. Any smoke/fumes showing up in oil filler opening is indication of worn out engine burning oil.

Your friend mechanic should have done these tests (and more - google for how to evaluate used car, you will get loads of information). If not done already, do these tests now. If no problem then engine is ok. Then if you decide to keep that car please follow asimpleson's suggestion:

4. Prasanth

Prasanth Timido

Abu Dhabi
    Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you both of you.. He has done all the tests and as you told he is also cleaning sump... told it there was not much sludge or residue.. He has consulted with his friend who did run an authorized fiat service there..Everything seems okay..

Will keep in touch

thank you