1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea Mjd Front Axle fails while driving on highway :(

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Shivam, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Shivam

Shivam Amatore

Ludhiana
    I was on my way from ludhiana to chandigarh suddenly i heard abnormal vibrating noise and car behaving wierdly immediately i stopped the car by the roadside,opened bonnet and inspected i could see the axle hanging out of the wheel and also found some metal pieces and bearing lying on the road.I contacted road side assistance they said technician will be coming after an hour a technician came with no tools,no pick up truck just to see what has happened then he told roadside assistance people that car is to be towed to service station.He said tow truck would be coming within 30min. but it came after 3hrs. only after my frequent calls :punch.He said car will be taken to speed fiat nearest service station(30kms. from spot).Next day speed fiat person says they do not have any online system so it will take 3-4 days to get warranty approval from fiat(3-4 days for warranty approval fiat india is living in which age??).I decided to get car repaired on billing and service advisor told that amount will be refunded when they get approval.Then i get call from speed fiat that new axle has failed again when they were testing the car and now the culprit is the coupling that connects axle with gearbox and that part is not available and will take 8-9 days for sourcing it:mad:.It is very disappointing that car is lying in workshop for such issues.
    Axle of a car failing like this while driving on highway is very dangerous and serious issue.Is this the built quality fiat india boasts of??
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    That a very bad experience. Can you please share how old your car is and the kms on ODO? Did you ask them the cause for the failure?

I still don't understand what the problem with FIAT is in making the service centers stock enough spares, at least send them to the service center in a day or two and not 8-9 days
  3. Shivam

Shivam Amatore

Ludhiana
    My car is March 2010 model and done 45k kms.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Definitely hearing this for the first time in any car, let alone a Linea. Only seen UV's/trucks with their driveshafts fallen down. Must be a freak one off case. Unfortunate that it happened to you mate.

The Linea will be back to perfect soon :)
  5. This is scary... puts a question on the reliability for this tourer...
    But in the same breath I would like to iterate that your seems to be one of the exceptionally odd expedience.
    Yes Fiat is not as good as maruti with their speed of approval process and spare availability... But 3 days are what they normally take to resolve cases.
    Besides, they requirea more frequent reminders than Maruti.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Would also agree with @gurjinder that this case itself is odd and exceptional (looking at the nature of problem)
  6. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Were there any indications earlier that something was wrong with the car? Were the CV boots/joints inspected during servicing? I clearly remember the blank stare on the SA's face when I requested a check of the CV boots and joints.
  7. Shivam

Shivam Amatore

Ludhiana
    Car was absolutely fine before i did not hear any vibration or odd noise...recently i got it serviced and never had problem like this before
  8. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    Shivam , is there any repair work carried out in past related to suspension , clutch or breaks ?
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    These freak incidents happens with all cars even the top end so we dont have to blame Fiat cars or suspect its built quality.Many a times the owner him self doesn't know what hit the car underneath and where and how critical it is or was and it goes undetected so the problem multiplies.I stay near VW service station in Mumbai and invariable observe 4-5 VW cars towed to the station with no outer accident mark so most probably mechanical breakdown.I think the hue and cry created in Fiat case is overdone.
    1 person likes this.