1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea MJD - Engine problem /Insurance claim possibility??

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AshithK, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Write to mangesh.kodalkar at fiat dot com. Write a message about the high repair cost on Fiat FB page. If you can manage to get the dealer top bosses mail ids too, write to them.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

What is the update?

I sense some deliberate silence here.
  3. Johnycomelate

Johnycomelate Novizio

Kochi
    Most likely scenario_Oil pr: warning lamp may have been missed by Ashith !
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Btw, is yours a Hip Hop Black Linea?

Saw one with the whole engine compartment empty at Vecto.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Well i have gone through whole thread & still couldn't understand what exactly happened with engine but let me share my experiance & sorry for being little off-topic.
    This happened with me aswell, was driving at night time & failed to see a speedbreaker, car jumped over it. Nothing really happened at that time but on the other day after few mins of driving i suddenly noticed my engine temprature needle shooting way above normal limit(above half). Thankfully i was close to my home i just took my linea back home parked & open the hood when i came to know my rediator fan was off from its mounting. I instantly called RSA, didnt took the risk of driving car.
    My point here is, in that whole scenario not a single warning showed up. This might have happened with AshithK aswell & due to overheating it might have gone further bad to worst.
    As i could see head gasket & half of the engine block being rebuilt i assume it could be a case of over heating + physical damage considering metal chips in oil.
    @AshithK, we would love to have more inputs from you on this mate.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi Guys, I am sorry for the delay. It isnt deliberate DRIV3R lolz.. If the car that you saw was a black linea with wider tires at Vecto -> its mine..

The initial assumption was about 1lac30thousand bucks.. but after opening the engine and assessing the damage.. the cost stood down marginally at 1lac22thousand rupees tax included.. The airbag sensor also had to be changed that was worth about 9k... (I was getting an error in MID).

Now my babe has a brand new engine and I am happy the way she drives.. The entire episode with Vecto motors was more that satisfying.

The service advisor Surendera called me up stating that the car was ready for delivery and he also mentioned to me that all the road tests with the new engine has been done. Engine block has been replaced with all connecting parts.. I will attach the scanned copy of invoice shortly. (Scanner at home isnt working... Grr!!) The insurance claim was not done since it was an engine failure with no physical damage. Just after taking the delivery I had taken the vehicle to commercial street and while parking over the footpath (opp to jos allukkas) there was a noticeable smoke from under the bonnet and I was shocked to see this happen just after swiping the card for 1.2lacs a couple of hrs prior.. I called up surendera (service advisor at vecto) and he immediately sent the lead mechanic (Manju) and team who worked on my car to the spot (The time was about 7pm).. After opening the bonnet Manju found that there was an overflow or some sought of leakage of coolant which spilled over the engine causing the smoke.. He immediately fixed the issue on the spot and he suggested to test the car for 500kms and leave it for inspection for any problems. I did the same... after 3days I took the car back to Vecto for inspection and all was well with my black babe.. Driven about 2100kms with the new engine and she behaves awesome.. not yet tried above 90km/hr... I will leave the vehicle tomorrow for oil change and then will zoom it past to its peak.. lets see which skoda or hyundai will beat my babe...

Absolute professionalism by Vecto Motors with top notch work.. Special thanks to the very calm and soft spoken service manager Chennbasappa, Surendera (Service advisor), Manju (Lead mechanic) and his team. I would highly recommend Vecto for any engine related work. I am absolutely satisfied.. (even though my final invoice was steep).

Note: I also get a one year warranty on mechanical parts that has been mentioned in the invoice.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Nothing showed up on MID bro.. no warning lamps watsoever

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yeah.. its mine!! I was heatbroken to see her that way. The way she bends upwards when the engine is removed made me feel real bad. I have a very emotional attachment with my car you know.. hehe
    3 people like this.
  7. Volksjager

Volksjager Timido

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    I am glad that you got your car back up & running again AshithK, It is very sad to hear about such things. I understand the kind of psychological pressure you went through. I would like to share my personal experience regarding a similar issue, but not exactly similar to what might have happened to AshithK's engine. This is about a Maruthi Swift 1.3 MJD which I came across at Maruthi Service center in Hyderabad. Out of curiosity I dug deep into the issue. The car owner is not my friend, but we had a long chat regarding this problem.

This is how the problem actually started..The car took a nasty hit to the oil tank below & a minor leakage has started, he has a nice set of alloys & low profile tyres which was already driven 70,XXX kms until this happened. He went to a nearby maruthi service center, but it was busy with many cars already, so he was advised to carry a liter of oil if required during emergency & come again tomorrow. So after coming out of the service center, after a few kms driven he noticed engine temperature to be rising. He stopped the car on the road immediately & he saw engine oil leaking more than usual. This poor guy doesn't know that he shouldn't pour oil into the engine while engine was hot!

So he poured oil into the engine & tried starting it again. He just went 5ft ahead & engine started making tak..tak sound & stopped. This time when he again started the engine, Surprisingly engine started again but was making jig..jig sound when revved (It was not sounding normal). So he came to another service center and that's where I met him..he explained me the complete story. The floor manager who was an expert in fiat engines, he himself took a lot of time to diagnose the problem. They thought it was the injectors first, but later to be sure, he lifted the car on the ramp & started listening to the sound from each cylinder using headphones & a mic. Then he asked the owner about what happened before, he explained the same. Then again lead mechanic cross checked it again & he said that " one of the piston rods were slightly bend in the 3rd cylinder & due to which the piston is rubbing against the piston chamber " . He said, this is called "Piston Slagging". Upon opening the head, he showed me metal pieces in the engine oil.

This happened when he poured the oil while engine is very hot. It can also happen when there is very less oil in the engine. Maintaining Engine oil levels & coolant are very essential for a car.
    So overall, it costed him about 80,000/- which included a new head, crank shaft, 4 pistons, connecting rods...etc. excluding labour & taxes. A car with piston slagging issue can also cause engine to seize.

I am enclosing a picture of the cylinder head of the swift 1.3 MJD to show you guys, what was broken..
    IMG_20130724_180635.jpg
    I encircled it with red, that was broken..I don't know what it is but there were tiny metal particles found in the engine oil. I hope that my post was informative.

These are the price quotes that I got, If you order half engine it costs 95,000/- and a whopping 3 lakhs for the complete 1.3 mjd which does not include gearbox...etc.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Thanks Volksjager, the post was indeed informative. The half engine cost is at 48k odd and all the other parts shot up the final invoice to 1.2lacs. I will upload the scanned invoice copy shortly.
    1 person likes this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Ashit,

Extremely glad to know that the babe is back in your arms and also good to know that you are satisfied with the performance. Keep revving and enjoy the drive. Your car must have felt like Ironman with a new heart.

Also good to know the help & co-operation extended by the workshop, hope you must have appreciated to all involved in written.

If its not too much taxing, can you post the pics post the repairs.
    2 people like this.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    How much u end up paying and did u get warranty claims.