1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea MJD - Engine problem /Insurance claim possibility??

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AshithK, Nov 19, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    1. Yes, it is quite a lot infact. In that distance you can scuff the pistons, spin the main and rod bearings (metal-metal contact) etc etc.

2. Tough one to answer. The hydraulic lifters might not drain away all the oil instantly so there may not be an immediate clatter. The oil film left by modern oils just might cause the engine not to completely seize and lock up for some km's. The only clear warning would have been the Oil light. Apart from that, all we can do is conjecture.

Let's see what the OP says.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Cost of Half engine is Rs. 48k approx on 99rpm.
    Fiat Grande Punto/ Linea: Engine 1.3 Multijet Diesel

Add labour charges and other miscellaneous oil etc., yet how on earth a Rs. 1.3lac bill was generated ! :shock: Calling it far-fetched is an understatement.

AshithK, sorry to say brother, but either you and in effect we too are missing something else that happened to the car,
    or the service people are trying to pull off daylight white-collared robbery!

Now Rohit Tunga here mentioned, ask them for the spares they changed, but again those can be managed by service center
    people to cover up their ill deeds. Ever since Harishv's infamous Skoda spare parts case, I have grown very suspicious and
    extremely cautious too with service centers. Some (or many) are extremely notorious in billing and fleecing dough from innocent customers.

You definitely should investigate as much as possible, even if the insurance claim settlement is met with.

EDIT: Is it an estimate or bill and is the work in progress or completed? Since in one post you mentioned they had not opened the engine.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Quite surprised to see an estimate given for the repair. If its only for obtaining insurance approval then I presume it to be ok.

However, I don't think its only about changing the half engine block, there will be a few more parts which might have damaged and needs replacement.

To the OP Ashithk, whatever is said and done, visually inspect the damage and only then go ahead with repairs even if the insurance approves your claim. You could as well take pics and post for the experts here to assess the damage.

If the claim is not approved and you are not happy with the authorized service center costs, then a FNG who has the expertise can do this job as the spares are available on 99rpm.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    nkrishnap and other experts.. I am certainly not happy with the repair estimate of vecto motors. This estimation is done with even opening the engine and examining the damage. The vehicle is not dead and still in running condition, but with a loud tak tak sound. I assume that metal scrubs found along with engine oil is some parts from half bearing as it was totally reduced to less the 1mm in thickness (when examined by URSKAr mysore). Meanwhile urskar gave me an estimate of abouthe 55k after examining the damage and here the vecto motors is way ahead with 1.3lacs without even opening the engine.. I feel like I am lost. Huuffff!!
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    AshithK, did you ask them how the underbody hit lead to this kind of damage.
  6. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Shams: Not yet, I would be going to the workshop tomorrow for a detailed review of my engine and possibly I am also thinking of asking a revised estimate.. I am not sure if these are covered by insurance..
  7. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    i See almost everything put in the estimate does it really need all those parts replacement, a whopping 1.3 lac for a jump over a speed breaker :confused:
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I smell something real fishy here. 1.3L is too steep price to pay for the repairs when no visible under body damage is seen. Did you contact the Insurance guys?

Time to involve Fiat India here.
  9. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Ghodlur, Can please let me know how do I get fiat india involved? The insurance claim is under process, the inspection is done and the claim forms have been submitted.

Regards,

- - - Merged Post - - -

Surya: If the insurance guys claims the estimate, then too I would not go ahead with this estimate before a thorough walk around tomorrow in the workshop. Its very unethical isnt it.. !!

- - - Merged Post - - -

Gurjinder, I am going to the workshop tomorrow to get a clear review of my engine. I would surely want them to open the engine and suggest only the necessary replacements and not the entire stuff for the fact insurance may claim their estimated 1.3 lacs. This 1.3 lacs estimate is purely based on assumptions and no way by opening and assessing the actual damage.

Regards,
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The SC has included everything to be on the safe side although it's possible problem may be not much after opening the engine.
    1 person likes this.