1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea MJD - Engine problem /Insurance claim possibility??

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AshithK, Nov 19, 2013.

1. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Mods Note - Post deleted. it is un-readable.
    Please re-post.
  2. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Please let me know if all the mentioned replacements are an absolute necessary..

Mods I am reposting the same, but as an attachment Repair Estimate - Vecto Motors.png

Repair Estimate - Vecto Motors.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    But the question still remains unanswered - What exactly happened to the engine? Engine's just don't go kaput. I can understand a big impact but if there was no impact to the sump and consequent running without engine oil, how did the engine just go bad.

Is there any previous history of repair/abuse/missed servicing with this engine? What is the exact reason the service centre is giving. Apart from handing out a 1.3 lakh bill.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Apparently the oil sump and engine protector are in the estimate, which means they were hit and damaged.

In all probability the engine has run with no oil for some distance.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I doubt that the engine ran dry. AshithK clearly states there was no fluid leakage. What confuses me is "metal scrubs mixed with engine oil". If this was observed upon draining the oil, then I suspect some kind of internal injury to the engine (is that even possible? If that is what happened, then I would question the manufacturing and QA process). Why the SC wants to replace the engine protector is beyond my understanding. That plate can be hammered back to shape, unless it is fractured, but going by the statement in the opening post, "everything was intact"

Rajan
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

That's a different perspective, Rajan.

OP did not not stop the car to inspect, he just says there were no warning messages on the MID. Ideally if the oil had drained away after sump damage (assumption), the low oil pressure warning should come on, no?

There is no way the engine can get damaged with other components like alloys, tyres and suspension intact. And even under full compression on a flat surface, the sump guard would not touch the ground.

One possibility I see is here is nose-diving after the jump. Fat chance that the sump-guard can be damaged and pass on some to the sump as well.

Realized this when I took my car out of my office underground parking a bit too fast, the car nose-dived and there was a huge sound, then I checked the sump guard, it was not bent, but scraped very badly, taking away like 3-4 mm of metal from it.
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    There is a paucity of information by the dealer here. I wish there was a convention in India where the customer is walked through what exactly happened with HIS/HER car before they hand over a huge bill and just say the engine needs to be rebuilt.

If I may conjecture - The impact led to a big dent in the sump which somehow led to the damaging of the oil pickup. Since the engine oil pump could not pick up any oil, the engine ran without oil pressure and within the next 12km's pretty much ate itself up. Now - the obvious flaw in the theory - Was there an engine oil light on the console? Any odd sounds during those 12km's?
    1 person likes this.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I wonder why the Transmission oil and brake fluid are all being changed?
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Oh wait, there is clutch kit too. :confused:
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    This is really baffling. The "Check Engine" light not coming on and the car continuing to drive as usual ( I am assuming this) for the next 12 kms, no signs of leakage, etc. tell a different story.

I think Gurjinder's conjecture makes sense. It is quite possible that the oil pickup was damaged and no oil was being pumped for those 12 kms. Is that distance enough to destroy the engine? If so, can the engine go through so much destruction, without any warning? Even after the halt and restarting, what alerted the OP was the noise from the engine and not any indication on the MID.

Totally agree with the need for the dealer to explain the damage, how it happened and a visual walk-through to the customer.

Rajan

PS: There is even fuel filter??? Are they clubbing regular service with this?