1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea MJD - Engine problem /Insurance claim possibility??

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AshithK, Nov 19, 2013.

1. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi Guys, I am Ashith here. I own a Fiat linea 2009 MJD emotion pk. On my way to Mangalore via Mysore.. my car had a nasty jump at one of the speedbreakers near Mysore (about 5kms away). There didnt seemed to by any problem (no warning messages or signs in MID or instrument panel) and drove it towards hunsur.. After about 12kms after the jump.. just decided to have some breakfast, hence stopped the car by the side of the road.. Then there was the shock of my life time when we decided to drive further, the engine cranked to an audible tak tak sound.. Stopped again and did a thorough underbody check for fluid leakage.. everything was intact. Decided to tow the car to URS KAR Fiat service in Mysore.. After the service adviser and mechanic opened the underbelly of the car, they found that the engine needs to overhauled /the half engine (exact term used by the service manager) needs to be replaced. They also found some metal scrubs mixed with engine oil. The car was very well maintained with regular service and diligent driving.

Guys they are quoting a huge 55k approx for the job... Will this cover with the insurance which I have from L&T. I love my Linea so much that I did not want my car to be in Mysore while I stay and work in Bangalore.. Towed it all the way from Mysore to Bangalore which cost me Rs.6500 already.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Ashith,

You can claim Insurance on the repair work. Towing the vehicle all the way from Mysore to B'lore wasnt a good idea. You could have lodged a claim from Mysore itself and get the engine repaired. The amount you spent on towing could have been your contribution towards repair with the rest borne by the Insurance co. BTW which is the Insurance co? and have you finally lodged a claim? Which workshop in B'lore are you planning to get the repairs done from?

Did Urs kars mention the reason for the metals in the engine oil? Has something been sheared within the engine body?
  3. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Ashithk,
    Sad to hear that your LINEA got damaged. There are so many unscientific speed breakers on blr-mysore road, just a month back a Maruti ALTO trying to overtake my car and flying over a speed breaker and definitely damaged its underside of engine.
    Have you lodged the claim already ? Please post further events in this thread for our knowledge.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

You can claim insurance for this only if you have engine cover add-on with your policy.

Sad to know about the damage and wonder if just skipping a speed bump would cause engine damage unless some fluids leaked? All of us at some point accidentally run over speed bumps at good speeds which is inevitable.
  5. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Bad times and sorry to hear about this incident, but recently 2 Linea's and 1 GP went thru a similar situation near Hospet at speeds between 90-110kmph but none of the cars encountered any issues and thank god for the same.

Ashitk in your case, what contributed to the issue ? is It the bump you went thru caused physical damage to lower part of the engine or the metal parts in the engine oil?
    I know its a hard time to get to the root cause, but it helps to understand the situation.
    also, is it possible for you to share some more info on how many kms have you covered since 2009? When was the last engine oil changed along with oil filter ? Is the engine guard intact or damaged etc etc ?
    It might aide to build some probable causes to the issue you faced.

To start on causes :Kat kat sound could be due to some bearings going bad as well.. Hence the metal found in oil ?
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    One has to be really careful on Indian roads.You dont knows what coming for you ahead.
    1 person likes this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I dont think this can be the case. The Engine Protector add on provides cover against engine seizure, engine compartment flooding etc. I am unable to recall the exact words as used in the Engine Protector add provided by Bajaj Allianz (unable to check in google due to Co firewalls).
    This Engine overhauling repair will be as per the usual Comprehensive insurance policy wordings IMO. Will wait for Ashit to update more on his interaction with the Insurance guys on this.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Well, is this not a case of engine seizure? That is why the car failed to start.

Unless the car has a frontal impact which damaged some components of the engine as well, comprehensive insurance would not cover this repair, wherein the car externals are all fine without any impact and where the engine has seized.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    usually comprehensive inrurance does not cover any consequential damage. for e.g., a hit on the oil sump drains the engine oil as a consequence of which engine gets damaged. such repairs are usually rejected in comprehensive policy.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Under body hit I think is covered by the insurance in case sufficient visual impact is evident.I had similar incident where my santro climbed on the divider after hitting a tanker damaging the shocker, hub, lower arm and rim.The claim was cleared by insurance company.

Incase the impact is not visible on the engine guard one can always do some manipulation.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013