1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea complete shutdown : EDIT : Solved !! : Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Guru_mprasad, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    Hi Friends,

Today after a long run of 300 kms with regular breaks failed to turn on during the last break.. I was able to unlock the car with help of remote and when I tried to crank the engine everything went off and couldn't do anything. Removed the battery terminal and waited for sometime, but still the same... There was once a warning for battery but it was months back and didn't get that warning again. If it was battery problem how did it respond to unlock through remote at first.. Give me some ideas what might have happened.. If anyone else faced the same problem, and what was done to resolve....
  2. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Just a logical reason, the battery might have had just enough juice to unlock the door but more power would be required to start the car and the battery would not have been able to do that.

By the way, how did you manage to get back and where did this event occur? Hope you are safe
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i doubt those are signs of battery week.

When my cvar was totally shutdowned, i know the reason i kept headlights On for more than half n hour to change the tire early morning at 2:30am on highway.

Whats the age of your car ?
  4. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    @Krish --- I had reached my sister's place and when I was about to go to my home this happened... Luckily the car never gave any problems during the travel....
    @Ganges - I didn't leave the headlights on... Even if I had them, it gets turned off automatically as soon as the key is removed from the ignition...

As mentioned, as soon as I had the key in ignition and tried cranking, everything went off...
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Guru_mprasad

Can you give some more details as to whether the engine vitals were all Ok when you attempted to start the car? As you must be aware the engine cranking requires a huge inrush of current from the battery to the starter. If the battery has gone weak or is on the verge of dying, it wouldnt be possible for the starter to crank the engine. Another indication of the battery weakness would be error message on the MID, did you see any such as airbag failure or engine malfunction etc?

Get the battery thoroughly checked at the dealer or Fiat workshop. If the battery is OK, then ensure that the battery charging circuit is working ok.
    mchanna likes this.
  6. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    FIAT mobile service came and has jump started my car without any issues. Now the problem is the battery which is dead and needs to be replaced. I can find Amaron Batteries that FIAT ASC offers for 6000 while I can see the same in batterybhai.com for 4900 exchanging the old with free installation at doorstep.. Now is this advisable to buy online??
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I remembered I accidentally kept my Honda city Zx lights switched on (there is no auto switch off when the engine is shut down)and in the morning no response on cranking etc, battery was dead.
    But putting in bold "Linea complete shutdown" when its not car mechanics or electrical issue but battery (in some way neglected by the user) is not justified.
  8. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    @ Varin, I completely agree with you to the fact that when its just the Battery I shouldn't have mentioned it was a complete shutdown. But I didn't have any clue as to what might have happened as this is the first time the car has reacted in such a way. I know that Linea has a very good feature that the lights get automatically turned off when the engine is turned off and you have the "Follow Me" Head Lamps in case of any requirements. Also I didn't get any warnings related to the battery during my travel of around 300 Kms. The car was not at all reacting to anything that I was trying to identify the problem and that too it was midnight couldn't do much. Luckily I had Fiat ASC near to the place where I was and they came in 1 Hrs time as soon as I called them. The first thing they did is jump starting and the car started in a spark without an issue and finally the battery was the culprit. After this, the car is reacting the way it is supposed to be but the other issue is with the engine temperature gauge which is showing 1 point above the low mark and it remains constant in that and also I had 1/4 of fuel when I parked the car and in the morning when the car was running the fuel gauge was touching the Empty mark but the Low Fuel light was not lit. Though I had filled in the fuel not exceeding the reserve level, still the warning light won't come on. May be this is also due to the battery. I am going to order battery over online; seems to get a good deal and also confirmed this with the mechanic of the ASC; he said since the warranty comes along with the battery it shouldn't make any problem to buy it online.

I should say that the car is so caring about our family that it didn't stop in any of the breaks that I had took during the trip, as I was with my whole family and loads of luggage....

@Admin - This post can be closed as the issue has been resolved by the ASC.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 27, 2014 ---
    One Finally Question: Can the old battery be given to the battery mechanics to recharge or something????
  9. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Guru_mprasad : I would recommend to go for Amaron from www.batterybhai.com I have used batterybhai service for four other cars and the experience has been extremely good. The pros were:
    • Competitive price
    • Good buy back price for old battery
    • Battery date of mfg was recent (within 2 months)
    • Door step delivery and installation
    Could not have asked for a better service. Highly recommended.

Now coming to your problem : in batteries there is a parameter known as CCA (Cold Cranking Amperage). This is the current the battery supplies to the starter motor during cold start. Batteries with high CCA are recommended (Amaron batteries generally tend to have a better CCA than Exide). Do appreciate that the starter motors draws a significantly large amount of current while cranking. Hence even if the battery might have juice left in it to power the other peripherals it might not have enough juice to start the car.

Hence it is highly recommended to replace the battery as soon as the first warning light appears.

Glad that it was only a battery related issue and nothing major. As per your request I am now closing this thread.

Thanks!

Amogh
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    mchanna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.