1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat linea and punto in dash music system full touchscreen

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by sonu0214, Jul 26, 2014.

1. rvlkiran

rvlkiran Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    @amitshedha , welcome to the club !! Please refer to my installation post here. The camera was installed in the 'Linea' Chrome logo (holding the lights for number plate), drilling through the boot door for the cables. I'm using my setup for last 4 months and the camera is quite good. It does not have LED illumination, but serves the purpose in the dark/basements as well, since the reverse lamps/brake light illuminate the rear well enough for the camera.
    amitshedha likes this.
  2. amitshedha

amitshedha Novizio

Pune
    @rvlkiran thanks. Actually, I have sensors on my punto, so would like to go for camera only as double buzz from sensors and camera can be annoying as well as distracting.
  3. Narayana1206

Narayana1206 Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hi All,

Happy to see this today, May i request you to help me get this one for my Punto Dynamic Variant.
    Please suggest the best HU with USB, AUX, MMI / GPS, Rear View Camera which I can fit to my baby.
    Will this support the Dynamic Variant? Any help in this regard will be treasured.
    ALos please suggest me the place in Bangalore where i can get this fixed.
  4. Vibbs

Vibbs Timido

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,

How has the experience been after 5 months. I am contemplating on buying one for my Punto.

How is the touchscreen response?
    Audio quality I believe should be better than stock as you already informed. Do you stick by the same verdict after 5 months? Is there any way of using Google maps for navigation?
  5. rvlkiran

rvlkiran Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    The audio quality/bluetooth/navigation etc are all good. Touchscreen uses resistive technology, so it will not be as responsive as your cellphone with capacitive touch. However, it is adequate for in-car functions. About google maps, I don't think so - Until somebody ports google maps for WinCE OS with offline capability.

However, I noticed some battery drain issues, but I'm not sure which is the root-cause yet.

Part 1: I installed the unit around Mid-May, and I gave the car for first service around Mid-July (At KHT Fiat). Until then, I never saw any issues. 3 weeks after the service, my car was parked for the weekend. After I returned, the battery was drained fully and car didn't start. I got a jump start that time. Next weekend, the same story repeated. However, this time the problem was that the cable from battery to the fuse/relay box was broken (How? - Since nobody else needed to touch this part until this point, the suspicion was that KHT Fiat service people mishandled the battery cable during the 1st service. I fought with Fiat and got it replaced under goodwill). The car had to be towed & the part replaced (The car was towed to a different workshop Aadya motors since it was closer to home). During the time the car was with the workshop, I asked them to check for battery drain issues. They said they left the car unopened for the weekend, and didn't notice any problems.

Part 2: I got the car home, was continuously using it for 2 months without problems. However, I had to leave the car once parked for 6 days, battery drained out. I got it jump started, was using it for a month again. Then again had to leave it parked for another 4 days, same story. Recently it drained in 2 days. I gave to KHT Fiat Service this time (with the warning to handle the battery cable well). They said that they have analysed and identified the multimedia unit as the culprit for increased drain even when key was taken out from the car (They mentioned it drains 0.68 Amps). I asked them to replace the Stock head-unit and confirm the hypothesis. However, they refused, saying that they'll not touch after-market items. I have to get it replaced with stock unit through the vendor itself. I asked Santosh (vendor) about the issue. He said the multimedia unit does use a little current (The boot opener button on the console works even if I take out the key - It's the same behavior with stock Fiat system as well), but it should not be the case that it will drain the battery. He has suggested to get an alternate opinion from another workshop, as he believes it may be something else causing the battery drain, but not the multimedia unit. I have asked him to suggest an alternate workshop who can check it. That's where the issue stands at this moment.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Have you got the battery thoroughly checked? Maybe the battery must be in the last phase of its operation. Did you try replacing the battery and troubleshooting.

I don't think the HU is powered directly by the battery, it has to be routed through the ignition systems. Hence the HU would continue draining the battery is something which needs to be verified. 0.68A power consumption is too much IMO, pls get it rechecked.
  7. rvlkiran

rvlkiran Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    The car was bought Feb'2015, it was manufactured in Sep'2014 with stock Exide OEM battery. The 'last charge date' on the battery was Aug'2014 (little more than a year). I have got it checked by Exide once, they checked specific gravity, then fully recharged it through Electricity outlet charger and didn't find any problems. Even Fiat service who checked it last Saturday said the battery is in a decent shape. It does not need replacement immediately.

The HU has 2 components / connections. The multimedia part & the CAN bus connection part (with buttons for rear window defroster, hazard lamps & electric boot opener). After taking out the key, the multimedia part does not function - even if I press the buttons, it does not get powered on. Only the electric boot opener button and hazard lamp button work when I take out the key. That's why I have a hard time believing KHT Fiat guys analysis - How they came up with the analysis.
  8. Vibbs

Vibbs Timido

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the update. I believe I will go with this unit as there are no other viable options.

Can the power drain be through the reverse camera? Do you park with reverse gear engaged?
    I believe this one also comes with a CANBUS decoder. If the stereo is leaking charge, then perhaps the CANBUS decoder is culprit here?
  9. rvlkiran

rvlkiran Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    No, I always park with 1st gear engaged. Until the reverse gear is selected, the reverse camera should not get power, since the power is drawn directly from the reverse lamps.
    Yes, the unit comes with a CAN Bus decode & control support. There are 3 buttons that use the CAN bus - Boot lid opener, Hazard Lamp, Rear Window Defrost. With the key taken out, the Defrost button does not work. The boot lid opener & hazard lamp lights are enabled. This is the same behavior with the Fiat Stock Head Unit also. There is some current used by the device to at least enable the button press functionality in idle mode, but I believe it should be very minimal / comparable to the stock head unit.

Any way, Santosh (Virtue India) is quite supportive. He asked me to send back the head unit by courier. He will do some tests & will update me for a solution. In the worst case, he also promised a replacement if it's found to be defective. I'll update this thread with the details perhaps next week or so.
    Vibbs likes this.
  10. tarunactivity

tarunactivity Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Is this the 6.2" music system in the new linea?

Does the boot lid opener work when you lock the car with the remote key?