1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat linea and punto in dash music system full touchscreen

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by sonu0214, Jul 26, 2014.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Vibbs

Thanks for the videos. Two quick questions:
    1) Did you make provisions for the rear camera input now so that camera can be installed later? Or will do it later?
    2) Are you selling the HU or keeping it just in case of any issues if any with the new set up?
  2. Vibbs

Vibbs Timido

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ghodlur

1. No I have not made any provisions for the camera as of now. The installation of the HU was a hurried up one since I could not contain my excitement. In wake of rvlkiran's battery drain experience, I want to keep it under observation for some time. My battery is otherwise also nearing the end of its life as it has given me some indications before so any battery drain issues will be highlighted very fast. Maybe in 15-20 days I will install the camera too.

2. I am not selling the stock unit as of now. Just like you said, to have a back up incase this one gives trouble.
    rvlkiran and ghodlur like this.
  3. rvlkiran

rvlkiran Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    A minor update on my battery drain issue:
    I removed the HU and sent to Santosh (Virtue India). I also pointed out to him one observation. A Crystal Oscillator (highlighted below) is touching the metal backplate.
    Crystal.jpg

Santosh sent me back the unit after adding some insulating gel to ensure they don't touch. He said the unit as such seems to be fine, however he did not conduct any battery drain tests on an actual car (since he doesn't have a linea). He tested it with Electricity outlet only and says all the parameters seem to be normal.

I am yet to connect the HU to my car.

In the meanwhile, I was driving without any head unit connected. I was diligently making repeated observations with my multi-meter about the battery voltage. Here is a short summary:
    - After driving to office, the hot battery voltage reads 12.75-12.78 volts
    - Letting the car cool for 5-6 hours, the voltage reads 12.55 volts during the day.
    - After I drive back home, I let it untouched for 14-15 hours, the battery voltage reads 12.45-12.50 volts
    - This weekend's long time observation:
    Parked the car Friday night after a 2 hour drive. Did not measure hot battery voltage.
    Checked the voltage Saturday evening - after 21 hours. The voltage was 12.50 v. Didn't use the car at all. Checked the voltage Sunday morning - after a total of 36 hours, the voltage was 12.45 v.

I don't have an ammeter to check the current draw, hence I have to infer only based on battery voltage.

Could some experts comment on the above readings ? Are they normal for a 1 year old Exide battery ? Is the drop in voltage overnight significant ? Or is it within expected range ?
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Vibbs
    Can you please post more pics for the after installation,day light pics.how is the touch screen,did you played any HD movies ? In comparison with OEM HU hows the music quality ?
  5. Vibbs

Vibbs Timido

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @rvlkiran

Can you advice how the rear camera was connected in your car?
    The connection instructions that come with the HU say that Back +12V cord from the CAN decoder needs to be connected to Battery +ive terminal.
    Additionally I think one 12 Volt power needs to be taken from rear lights and then video input from camera to the HU.

I am not sure regarding the need to connect Back+12 V cord to battery.

@Ganges

I will share some snaps soon in a couple of days.
  6. rvlkiran

rvlkiran Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    The camera's Power cables (Red + and Black -) get tapped from rear reversing lamps. You can use a splice connector to tap into the existing wiring. While tapping, also connect another long wire (as long as the length of the car) to the same Red +ve of the reverse lamp. Bring this long-tapped wire & the video cable to the front of the car. The Video Cable goes to CCD V IN RCA cable input on the HU. The tapped +ve wire goes into "Back +12V" on the HU.

What this does:
    - When you slot reverse gear, the reverse lamps get power.
    - The Camera also gets the same power at that time.
    - The Back +12V signal connected to the HU "Tells the HU" that reverse gear is activated.

I wish that the HU/car had a more intelligent way of communicating this information over CAN Bus, but apparently the +12V is the only way right now.

That's what it is - It's just a "Signal" for the HU. The HU switches on the Camera mode, no matter what the HU is doing at that time. Display switches to camera mode. Even if the HU is "OFF", this signal powers up the display for the duration you're in reverse gear. Afterwards it goes back to whatever it was doing before. If the HU was playing some audio, the audio keeps playing even when you're in reverse gear. It's only changing the 'display'. If the HU/Display was off before slotting reverse gear, the HU/Display goes off automatically upon selecting forward gear.

About routing the cables in a concealed manner:
    - Use the rear-left reversing lamp (So that the cables end up on the same side as the glove box).
    - In my case, the camera's power is routed alongside the existing bunch of cables in the boot door, into the boot & then to the reverse lamp. The 'signal wire' and the video cable come into the boot, make a small hole in the boot carpet (behind the rear seat bench). The cables then go from the boot to underneath the rear seat, then to the left side of the car. You'll notice, there is a plastic skirting on the side of the car (inside the cabin, just below the rear/front door frames). Just nudge the cables into the skirting, and off they go to the front glove compartment, and into the dashboard.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    ghodlur and Vibbs like this.
  7. tarunactivity

tarunactivity Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Just noticed, the linea 125S announced at the auto expo comes with the Daiichi unit from the Turkish linea.

Wonder if this will also be available as an add on.

The previous 6.2" unit from the elegante costed around 45000 from fiat with the camera and accessories.
  8. ssateesh

ssateesh Novizio

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes it is the Daiichi unit. Production expected after April for this unit
  9. Prashanth V

Prashanth V Timido

BANGALORE
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hello. Is there any place I can buy used Blue and Me for my GP 2012 model? I don't wanna invest on a new one, existing one not working even after lots of troubleshooting
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016