1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat linea and punto in dash music system full touchscreen

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by sonu0214, Jul 26, 2014.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I am visiting Pune on 23rd of this month enroute to my Bijapur trip, maybe we can meet if you have already installed the HU. If not again on my way back to Thane, I will be stopping in Pune again on 28th probably.
  2. Vibbs

Vibbs Timido

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sure. We can plan.

BTW the device was delivered yesterday and I installed it immediately sans the reverse camera :D

Installation was a 30 minute DIY.
    rvlkiran and ghodlur like this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Vibbs

A few initial snaps of the install would be nice to see.
  4. tarunactivity

tarunactivity Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Awesome..
    how did you bring out the USB / GPS cables?
  5. Vibbs

Vibbs Timido

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It was a little tough to get all the wires inside. The USB and GPS Cables were routed down from behind the unit. Right now the USB cable is left free on the center console lower part. The GPS reciever is near the front right quarter glass. Again the cables are not secured. Will do the fine tuning over the weekend to conceal and secure all the cables etc..

I have a video of the installation. Not complete though because my wife was recording and I needed her help to hold the items intermittently. I have not seen the video yet but I think it should have covered important points. Will share over the weekend.
  6. ssateesh

ssateesh Novizio

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    A tip that might help: GPS antenna can be placed behind the AC vent cover that is above the head unit. This helps in avoiding wires over the dashboard or other places. The wire will lie just behind the HU in this case. Also this location has direct exposure to sky through front windshield. So signal acquisition is perfect. This is how I have installed my GPS module for the touch screen unit in my Linea.

1.jpg

4-1.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Vibbs, tarunactivity and nkrishnap like this.
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @ssateesh. One question.

What about the moisture from the AC vents? Any issues that might arise due to mounting the GPS sensor here.
  8. ssateesh

ssateesh Novizio

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    @nkrishnap : The final placement is such that it is at the border of AC vents and the storage box so not directly in the path of air flow. I haven't faced any issues so far.

Following is my personal opinion. The GPS antenna is fully molded in hard plastic with no openings or holes. So the moisture won't seep in. Also I think the moisture should be neutralized by the heat coming through the windshield in that area. Good GPS antennas generally have a operating range from -ve temperatures to above 50C . So this placement is well within our usage condition.
    nkrishnap likes this.
  9. Vibbs

Vibbs Timido

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is how the USB and GPS receiver cables are routed currently.

IMG-20151219-WA0004.jpg

The black cable on the right side running to the top side is for GPS. I will be routing it inside the panels today.

IMG-20151219-WA0003.jpg

This is where the GPS is kept as of now. It is not secured, but over the last couple of days drive across Pune, it has not fallen off either.

IMG-20151219-WA0002.jpg

Finally one pic of the installed HU.
    Ganges, Murphy_Fiat and tarunactivity like this.
  10. Vibbs

Vibbs Timido

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3

Here are some videos. I split the video to three for better understanding.

First one on how to remove the stock HU. You just need to push in the tool into the holes to pull the unit out.

Second one showing the connections on the stock unit that need to be removed. Ther are three connections. Two on the left (CAN and the speaker connections) one on the right (Radio antenna).

Third one showing connections to be made on the new unit.

The CAN and speaker connections go to the exact same place as th stock unit. So does the radio cable (there is a connector that needs to be used for radio).

Three new connections come.

The CAN decoder, RCA connections and the GPS.

In the third video you can see the CAN decoder cables connected in the right side. The black cable running on top is for IPOD.
    I have not yet connected the RCA cables.

Sorry for the quality as they were shot using mobile cam.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Murphy_Fiat and ghodlur like this.