1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea and Punto clutch life

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Justin Das, Apr 4, 2012.

1. my punto that has clocked 46k kms broke down due to clutch cylinder failure. the plastic one had broken and was replaced with a new one. Costed Rs-2627/-.
    my mechanic gave one of the probable reasons: As the brake fluid quantity in the container was about 60% at the time of issue, it serves for both brakes and clutch. So whatever fluid was left was serving only for brakes and not for clutch cylinder unit, hence it eventually gave up. he even showed the faulty unit where he maintained his theory about less fluid. And he was not buying the thing about the unit failing in about 34-45k kms on odo.
    Could he be correct ?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Lots of plastic cylinder failed, even with full oil, the reason given is just not true.
    And new cylinder comes with metallic one, and hardly anybody reported that failing.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

He couldn't be more incorrect even if he tried to be.

CSC failure is two things :

1. Did only the plastic rod break and otherwise the clutch cylinder was fine?
    2. Did the complete clutch cylinder fail? Say it started leaking fluid etc.

4. 1. Only the plastic rod end broke and rest of was fine.
    2. yes, clutch pumping stopped working all of a sudden and it got stuck, the slave cylinder started leaking, but there was less fluid poping out (as per mechanic)
    I consider myself lucky that this issue happened when i parked car near my home and not on road/highways.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

If ONLY the plastic rod broke and the rest of the cylinder was fine then a simple replacement with the metal replacement rod could have solved the issue. FIAT used to do this themselves i believe.

6. I guess my car's clutch is almost gone. Symptoms are

1. noticeable pain on the left leg
    2. Tak sound when releasing the Clutch pedal
    3. Poor pickup.
    4. Engine dies even on a small incline in 2nd gear.

At 30K service TAFE replaced the clutch Kit now my cars runs at 48K and within 18 K the clutch is gone.
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

How can the clutch give up so early?
    Something wrong in the way of driving may be?
    I know of two linea's which are running on stock clutch at 105K kms.
    I am at 80K on stock clutch.
    1 person likes this.
  8. I have started suspecting myself on this. But one thing I am sure is whenever I take my car on long drives like 300 + 400 + KMS and if the drive is pedal to metal, after the drive I feel a big difference in the clutch behavior. I noticed this when I went to coimbatore from chennai, I was pushing hard all the way and then we went to wayanad, it is where I felt the clutch giving up. Last week I did chennai - trichy - chennai and again I felt this. Could highspeed cruising affect the clutch life.

I really Envy on this.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

srida, dont you make use of dead pedal on four/ six lane highways? when i am driving on a four lane highway, atleast 50% of time my left foot rests on the dead pedal!
  10. anicaution

anicaution Amatore

1,18,000 Kms on stock clutch so far...

5 people like this.