1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea and Punto clutch life

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Justin Das, Apr 4, 2012.

1. DUrai

DUrai Timido

Linea 1.4
    Hi Guys,
    Im a happy owner of a used linea but for one issue.
    The clutch is very hard. Done 70k km. Clutch was replaced at 40k.
    My service guy told that clutch needs replacement in next 5k & it will be hard even after changing that.
    Is it normal for all fiats? Can we do something to get it corrected.

Mod Note: Post moved to appropriate section.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016
  2. bibin

bibin Regolare

yes few fiat cars have clutch replacement done at and around 50k, mine was replaced at 55k due to hardness and leg pains after long drives

check with a workshop outside FASS and then decide.
  3. kamikaze

kamikaze Timido

Please note that clutch design has been changed after EVO launch - so there is some hope that new clutch will last longer. My first clutch was replaced at 50k and next clutch at 97k. I drive within the city 90% of the time.

Also, note that I was charged 3k as clutch replacement labor at FASS (Vecto) - this may help you if you decide to check outside FASS. I checked with a local mechanic and was quoted 2.5k for clutch replacement. I decided to get it done at FASS itself.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Jagmohan

Jagmohan Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    My Fiat Punto DI Emotion, 1.3 MJD, Manufactured Date. 02/2011, Kms run - 21000.

Service Center informed of Clutch Kit replacement when I told them Gear changing issue. They mentioned Pressure Plate becomes hard hence entire Clutch Kit need to be put, Cost Rs. 9500/- a Authorized Service Station.

Looking at above forum, Fiat definitely has degraded Clutch Kit originally put I guess or maybe mix quality.

Any suggestions on buying Clutch Kit from outside and getting it replaced via local mechanic to make it cost effective?

Mod Note: Do not post acronyms. Kindly post in a way easier for everyone to read.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  5. kamikaze

kamikaze Timido

21k kms is very low mileage for clutch replacement. I would suggest the following:
    1. Please try extended warranty if you have it
    2. If not, I suggest you write to the CRM of the dealer or to Fiat (mangesh.kodalkar@fiat.com) detailing your situation and asking for a replacement without charges. At the least, you can expect a 50% waiver of charges as goodwill (Fiat gave me 50% off as goodwill for my clutch replacement at 50k / 2 yrs)

@21k, I would not suggest getting the clutch replaced outside FASS. It would void your extended warranty. Anyway, by my experience, Clutch kit replacement at FASS is around 10k, while outside it is around 9k, so you are not really saving much but running higher risk.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    The car is 5+ years old so warranty is no longer applicable :). I agree to the point that 21K does seem short for a replacement, however we need to understand some other aspects.

The pressure plate is most likely the reason, 21K is definitely questionable however the point highlighted on quality coming down on the clutch in recent past (Iam still skeptical as I know cars which are running more than 70K on stock clutch) may not be applicable on your car considering the time frame.
    Kindly let us know who else uses this car and if it was handled by any novice driver.

7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3

My car too same as of your batch 02.2011 ,however my clutch lasted for 1 lakh 47K Kms given 80% of highway driving,but still your car should have been capable of 70K at least. if you get the grinding noise from the clutch while depress in gears 1st and 2nd then that's the point of worry.

Seems like the pressure plate have gone lazy due to less usage of car,i think it need a tap to awake from the sleep ,yes, do some highway running with clutch press/depress and changing gears , the problem should be solved.i used to get this hardness during rainy season,later problem disappeared.

Apart from that hows the mileage on the car ? from your post ,clutch functioning also seems fine,check with the clutch cable, i feel its the matter of usage and nothing to worry much.
    gpunto75, kirenh and PradeepM like this.
  8. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My car is also BMZ i.e Feb 2011 manufactured. Now @ 1.4L kms I am planing to get the clutch replaced the second time. The first was done at 76K kms. Both the times its a preventive replacement and not a failure. Hence, I do not see any reason that the quality of the spares is bad.
    In your case as the car is kept parked more than its driven, I feel ageing is an issue. And as your car is outside warantee you can get it replaced outside. There is a workshop run by ex pandit guys if you are interested I will pm you.
    gpunto75, Ganges and PradeepM like this.
  9. aniketbhise

aniketbhise Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi there

I am a proud owner of Punto Emotion+ 1.3 MJD.

I have completed little more over 1 lakh kms and still clutch is working fine. No work on clutch or clutch cable. However, technician at service centre suggested to replace it during next servicing after 15k kms. Will take a decision then as per the condition.