1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea and Punto clutch life

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Justin Das, Apr 4, 2012.

1. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Captain_S,
    Kindly let us know if this is your first car and if you have come up the learning curve by driving your Punto around. Also is there anyone at home who uses the car occasionally or regularly apart from you.
    Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  2. Captain_S

Captain_S Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Pradeeep ,
    My dad had a Fiat Uno before this and I learnt in that. My dad and I share the Punto and he doesn't rest his leg on the pedal either. I read in the thread that certain plastic components were behind the issue and they were replaced by Fiat using metallic ones. I don't think mine were.
    PradeepM likes this.
  3. ashisharmy

ashisharmy Timido

Bangalore
    My Linea is 6 years old and has done 69000 km. And I've changed the clutch three times till now excluding once when the slave cylinder rod broke. Once it was covered under warranty and I had to pay almost 7500 each time when the clutch failed/ became very hard. The most surprising fact is that the interval between last two clutch changes is only 12000 km. The clutch had become hard after 9k km but I still dragged the car for another 3k before replacing the clutch kit.
    Brought up the matter with Fiat which said that the clutch warranty is only for 6 months or 10000 km whichever is earlier.
    But the sad part is that I have started avoiding driving this car for the fear that the clutch will fail during a long drive and I'll be left stranded in the middle of the highway. Sadly the car I love doesn't inspire any confidence in me.
  4. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    :eek:^^:eek:
    Three clutch replacement it's too much.
    do you place your leg on the clutch while you ride? Or some other issue in the car which is causing the clutch failure,please get it checked with a very good engineer.
    I have done 36k and I feel my clutch as day one.
  5. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    My car is four years old, done 52k kms done but no clutch placement as yet. Still running on my original clutch plate. Punto is a gem.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Ashish,
    From what I read & understand that in about 70K KM's run by the car the clutch is changed 4 times (Including the one changed under warranty as mentioned above). Please let us know what was found when the bad clutches were replaced, did we find the plates give up or were there issues with the master / slave / cylinder. Please post the pics of the replaced parts in case you have them available along with the bills.
    Also please let us know if you are the only person driving this car and what are the usual conditions the car is driven under.
    The average of 17K Km's for a clutch replacement definitely opens many other prospects to be considered and just not the part.

Looking forward for a response.

Cheers.
    Pradeep.
  7. rahul_del24

rahul_del24 Timido

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Clutch failures are very random across cars, I had a clutch failure on my Santro in first 7000 kms. So it depends more on what batch the cars are built, I found that driving(dragging) in higher gears and not down shifting upfront reduces clutch life. Covered 8K on Linea MJD and no issues til date.
  8. xler

xler Novizio

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I have covered 110k+ kms without any clutch issues till date. I drive a 2011 Linea mjd.
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    My Lineas clutch was changed @ 80000 kms.... although juice was still left in old clutch.
  10. Rahul2013

Rahul2013 Timido

Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Already spend 77000 km Still not replaced clutch of my 90 hp. But now feeling paddle is slightly stiff. After 77000 km now facing some problem in mu car and dealer advice me to change clutch set, starter kit and gear lever assembly.