1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea and Punto clutch life

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Justin Das, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Why replace everything ? Replacing item 1 and 2 would do. Transmission oil would be automatically changed at 60000 or 2 years. Changing item 3 and 4 is not required normally but if FASS is finding some issue then its your call to take.

Abdul
  2. Dieter Hoppe

Dieter Hoppe Timido

Australia, Narangba QLD
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi ,
    I own a grande punto 1.3 - 90hp since 2007 and is driven by my wife and myself. After it was out off warranty I am serving it myself.
    The car has now 182909 km on the clock with the first clutch(still going strong), the front brake pads & disks had to be replaced around the 120000 km mark ( the pads are so thick when worn the disks are under the recommended thickness tolerance). I am now 64 and all my cars in Germany & Australia I have serviced myself when out of warranty. Major problems I only had when serviced by dealerships, or in short: The reliability and quality of any car is to 80 to 90% related to the service not the brand. To help anyone with the necessary skills, attached some info on clutches for the different Punto models.
    Any questions I will answer as time permits.
    Cheers and good luck

Dieter

Attached Files:

Iyu, Gurjit Singh, Sujit508 and 3 others like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Dieter Hoppe,
    Welcome to the forum.

Kindly suggest which brand OEM or after-market you are using. What brand of those is Fiat providing in those regions.
  4. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    My 6 year old Linea 1.4 is showing up a slight judder when releasing the clutch from standstill in 1st gear. It has done only 44k in all these years and this vibration is a recent development. It's more pronounced when the idling rpm is 800(cold starts idling @1100rpm doesn't show this issue). Again if I rev the car a bit this vibration disappears. It's not present always. There's no loss in pick up, gears slot in easily, and I am yet to find any increase in rpm. It feels like the clutch bites in too sharp that if I don't release the clutch slowly the car might stall. Due to this fear I am forced to rev up a bit when moving the car in slow traffic. I was thinking of asking them to bleed the clutch. Clutch pedal feels light n smooth too. It produces a kdr kdrrr kind of sound when the car starts moving(as if the car might stall). Again if I release the clutch really slow this vibration might not show up. Any pointers about what could be wrong?
  5. Prabhash Gaur

Prabhash Gaur Timido

Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello all.
    Need advice regarding clutch issue .
    I am running punto mjt since 2011 and now done 90k... no extra money except regular servicing on every 8to9k I have spent over it.
    I have been facing an issue while engaging car in reverse it makes a grinding sound and it engages with a kind of push.checked a couple of fiat service centres who say that clutch is to be replaced and cost ll be 9k.
    On different forums I read that clutch issues general indicators are dead pick ups or slippery clutch or may be low levels of fuel economy. I have an excipient pick up better than our swift.milage is close to 19 in Delhi traffic and clutch slippage is no the there.
    Can someone help me if faced the same issue and got that rectified.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 23, 2015 ---
    Hello all.
    Need advice regarding clutch issue .
    I am running punto mjt since 2011 and now done 90k... no extra money except regular servicing on every 8to9k I have spent over it.
    I have been facing an issue while engaging car in reverse it makes a grinding sound and it engages with a kind of push.checked a couple of fiat service centres who say that clutch is to be replaced and cost ll be 9k.
    On different forums I read that clutch issues general indicators are dead pick ups or slippery clutch or may be low levels of fuel economy. I have an excipient pick up better than our swift.milage is close to 19 in Delhi traffic and clutch slippage is no the there.
    Can someone help me if faced the same issue and got that rectified.
    PradeepM likes this.
  6. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Issue in engaging reverse gear is a known one across all grande Puntos, Yes this will be removed once you moved to new clutch but after some time u will see this issue again in the new one. Although not much a big issue but this irritates the driver as he has to re-engage.
    I have covered 1lac+ Km with the same issue. So don't worry. As you mentioned you are getting 19+kmpl in delhi. I am sorry but I really doubt that as i have never fetched more than 14 in city traffic but 19+ is amazing and exceptional.
    Iyu and Prabhash Gaur like this.
  7. Prabhash Gaur

Prabhash Gaur Timido

Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks to reply. Do I need to change the clutch immediately or can I rely onto it for now. Sometimes I feel it's too stiff.

Regarding milage I have been getting 18-19kmpl always in city with moderate speed. I believe good services before time and cleaning of front grill( don't know what to call that part but the place where ac is fitted and one big fan is attached ) on the front grill enhance its performance.
    On highways I have got 27.5+ milage too keeping the car between 70-80 speed limits.
    gpunto75 likes this.
  8. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Prabhash,
    Can you please share more details on cleaning of front grill (from what you say). Please some pics and the method to clean it.
  9. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    @Prabhash Gaur , I had stiffness and sound during engaging reverse gear at around 80K. Changed the clutch kit and the stiffness and sound is gone now. Car is at 94K now.
    Iyu likes this.
  10. Captain_S

Captain_S Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey everyone, newbie here.
    I own a 2011 Grande Punto 1.3 MJD and I had to change my clutch at 15k kms which came as a shocker since I previously had a Fiat UNO and had no issues with the clutch at such an early stage (I don't rest my leg on the pedal). The car would make severe noises when putting it in reverse and at times would get stuck on the way to 1st/2nd however no issues between 3rd 4th and 5th shifts. When I finally took it for service, they mentioned my clutch plate had worn out, I got it changed and at the time of delivery of the vehicle, a brand new Punto not even registered yet reported the same issue. Now at 45k kms this issue is starting to crop up again. Advice please.
    adisrini1103 likes this.