1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea AC switches off and on rapidly and repeatedly

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Guru_mprasad, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    Hello friends. I have a peculiar problem with my 2009 fiat linea mjd. The AC gets off and turns on by itself and this it repeats rapidly and also this happens only during a hot day when the weather is so hot and runs fine without turning off during the night time. When I say it turns off by itself only the blower gets turned off while the acc console is still on. When it gets off, the blower comes back within seconds and if it doesn't then a tap on the ac blower below the dashboard would bring the blower back to life. But I need to do this again and again during the drive only with the help of a passenger in the front seat. If no one is there then its a horrible time for me. I had once removed the ac blower out of its place from the dashboard and cleaned the blades and resister and put it back but still the issue persisted. One thing that I found was that the blower stops and turns on when the wires connecting it is shaken by hand. But yet to confirm it is wire issue as the blower works fine during the night time. I started experiencing the problem when I was Chennai due to the hot weather(I think so). But vanished for sometime when I had moved to Bangalore again I thought this must be because of the weather. Now that it has become hot in Bangalore as well I am experiencing the problem again. I have taken the car to fass to address, but during their checks it is fine. They said it may happen due to a broken blower and could take a chance by changing it. 20k will be the cost of it. Why would I take a chance when I would spend 20k. I am not sure what's happening and need your advice and insight.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Guru_mprasad

Thats a strange problem. What comes to my mind is 1) Loose wiring connections 2) Faulty thermostat.

It may also be an issue with the fan blower relay. An expert HVAC guy can diagnose it more correctly.
  3. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
  4. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    @SanketGajane Thanks for your reply. I found the items listed in 99 RPM in the below link. I think I can replace it by myself as I already have once opened the Blower and resister for cleaning purpose. I need to check with FASS if they would be able to tell me which one has gone bad specifically.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/components-ac-1-3mjd-linea.html
  5. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @Guru_mprasad
    You can get the blower checked by any auto electrical shop to see if the motor is the problem, else it should be the resistor.

Also , do share any pics of your DIY cleaning of blower/resistor. Will be useful for everyone.;)
  6. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Electrical Loose connection. Take it to a eletrician, and show him the wires and connectors. He can check with a Multimeter for connectivity.

Usually if there are relays ( mechanical switches ) such things can happen. The relay has spring action which will make them to connect to the connector. But carbon build-up can hamper this connection. A tap can make the relay spring to get in contact.
  7. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Luckily Not facing this lately. Will keep you guys updated.
    Might have just been me messing up some wiring while changing the pollen filter.