1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea 1.4 pertrol NA - Power loss after 70,000 KMS

Discussion in 'Technical' started by iamharishkm, Jan 11, 2016.

1. iamharishkm

iamharishkm Timido

Bangalore
    VEHICLE: Linea 1.4 NA Petrol (Non turbo version)

So this weird power loss issue started almost a year back. Vehicle's pulling power reduced noticeably. You can see the speedo needle climbing too slow. You need to floor the pedal and wait forever to grab some speed. This is very well felt while overtaking.

Now the real issue is this - The fiat service personals are not able to identify any power loss issue with the car. They say that the car is perfectly normal and it pulls as expected.

After 'n' number of service centre visits they invited me to the service bay once and showed that the engine is perfectly fine. They demonstrated some engine pressure test, which I don't know what exactly is, yet felt a sense of peace as the engine is alright.

Now that the engine is fine, there should be some mechanical issue (An ECU test shows all positive results, so this rules out any software related issues I guess). But nobody is able to find that. And they again assured me that the car is alright.

Escalated the issue to Fiat service manager once and got an email from him after few days. Basically, the same reply what service engineers gave, but in a more professional language.

I also requested to do a dyno test and compare the result with a similar Linea. But they are saying this is not possible (!)

Having driven my vehicle for more than 70,000 kms, I know my Linea well. There is a pulling issue and it takes away all the fun of driving a Fiat.

I have visited Fiat service centre multiple time in the past 12 - 15 months (Bangalore and Kerala centres) and have experienced all kind of emotions a human can ever feel. I am not angry with the technicians anymore but is feeling sympathetic (I still remember their helpless smile)

Guys, what do I do now? Any suggestions/Advice :(
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Try test driving a similar vehicle to know he difference or make them understand.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Powerloss issue - Get throttle body cleaned. Get spark plugs replaced, if not done recently. Get the air filter checked and replace if needed.

Pulling issue - get both front shock removed and checked. Get the elastic pads checked. Replace as needed. If all are OK, get both nuts that hold the mounting pad in place equally torqued. That should take away the pulling issue, assuming there are no issues with ball joints, link rods and lower arms.
    pabhishek and limraj like this.
  4. Umesh Kumar

Umesh Kumar Timido

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    How old is your clutch plate? Is this insufficient pull experienced in lower gears also.?
  5. iamharishkm

iamharishkm Timido

Bangalore
    The clutch plate is probably 3000 - 4000 km old, not more than that. Not sure if this is related - I had started noticing the power loss issue after a clutch plate replacement.

Yes, mainly noticeable from the second gear onwards. The vehicle will struggle literally to reach speeds like 120/140 km/h.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 21, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will be talking with the Fiat guys regarding this (Or should I go with a no-fiat service centre?).
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 21, 2016 ---
    I have been asking them a vehicle to compare but no support from them so far. Also tried checking if a dyno test is possible to get the actual measurable data on paper (hp on wheels @ rpm), but again they denied this request saying they don't have the facilities.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That is too much of a coincidence to be unrelated. Was the entire clutch kit replaced - pressure plate, release bearing, master & slave cylinders? This brings a new dimension to the issue. Perhaps poor workmanship in fitting the new clutch.
    Umesh Kumar likes this.
  7. iamharishkm

iamharishkm Timido

Bangalore
    Just the clutch plate. I just had a talk with the Fiat guys and they assured me that the clutch is fine... but will definitely check the assembly in an outside service station.