1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea 1.4 FIRE Low Ground Clearance - DAMAGE!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by srikanth.addala, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Hey guys...

Had to take my babe for a minor repair today for the first time post its purchase in April. :(

Reason being the low ground clearance of 2009/10 batch of these Italian sweeties. Well as usual a huge speed bump hit the chasis in the middle as soon as the front wheels are down the bump. Was very slow while passing it but couldn't do the cross maneuver cause of the horrible traffic around... :oops: Passed it, but a strange sound started coming post the incident. Sound was increasing with acceleration and no where to hear when slow/stand still.

Understood the very moment that something big is dangling on the road from the vehicle, scrapping it all the way... :eek: Stopped aside the road and looked beneath to find a plastic box kind of stuff hanging from one end attached and the other end scrapping. Tried calling a few friends to find out if we have any 4 wheeler workshops near by, only to know that there aren't any :(... My frustration towards FIAT with only ONE good for nothing SVC in all of Hyderabad has gone to its peaks at that moment..! :mad: It doesnt even have a proper parking space for the vehicles (not more than 3 can be parked at a time and all others to be parked on the road with cops around, looking anxiously to issue a challan. Its work bay too has only one way in & out and the worst part is that hardly 6 cars can be worked at a point of time and that too squeezed one beside the other!! Of all, its as far as 16km from the place I stay! Wasnt the same case when I had my Elantra :( had a Hyundai SVC atleast around every 5-8km stretch. All those people who pulled me down while buying a FIAT telling me horror stories about FIAT's After Sales kept running around my head... ;)

Was slowly heading back home and in lookout for any workshops one the way. Almost after 6km, found a small accident repair workshop with no mechanic but just a small teenage boy who is just a helper to the mech. Let him know what happened and the guy said he can do something to set it right. Took his word, ofcourse had no other choice.. :D The guy looked around and asked me to get the vehicle into the garage and a small bump at the entrance too kissed the chasis again, despite being very cautious while pulling over it... :mad: He checked the hanging thing, tried fixing them with screws but cudnt so he did some jugaad job with some binding wire and said its the covering lid for the fuel lines from the tank to the engine... :eek: Fuel lines protected by a plastic lid?? I am pretty sure FIAT aint that foolish. Paid the guy 30 bucks and left the place for home. Will be taking her to the Service Center tomorrow.

Here goes the pics. Experts, awaiting your comments.

2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

That boy was correct,its just a plastic cover for fuel lines.
    I have donea DIY fix to make it sturdy as it is very flimsy
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  3. mahesh.bandel

mahesh.bandel Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Looks like your car got a hard scrape. Yes it is the fuel line protective covering. If u notice,you will find many lineas and puntos with those broken covers hanging down. Not a thing to worry.
  4. Nuts&Bolts

Nuts&Bolts Novizio

Auburn Hills, MI
    No need to worry srikant. As akshay and mahesh mentioned, it is the plastic cover for fuel line. If the underbody scrapping is very severe, you can think of a GC upgrade. Believe in Fiat, situation will improve in coming months.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    1 person likes this.
  5. @Akshay4384, @Mahesh.bandelal, @Nuts&Bolts

Thank you for the insight guys. Am shocked to know that the cover is made of just plastic.

Great to know that you did some DIY job in making it sturdy. Can you throw some light over the same buddy?
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I took a few Metal plate clamps with holes and replaced the flimsy rivets with them,the metal clamps wont let it move anywhere even in case it scrapes the ground.
    2 people like this.
  7. Thats cool! :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk HD
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Same part got scrapped in my car and I have tied one side with wire.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013