1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion Pk - Worthless Peice of Sh*t

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 Fire' started by kushan_dave, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kushan_dave

Hello everyone,

I bought my car in Aug 2010 and till date the car has only done 11,500 kms. ( I use my other car frequently since it has better fuel efficiency and not to mention better air conditioning and also 10 other things)

Well, I'm really pissed at the fact that all the parts of my linea have just started to fail one by one. It all started with CHEAP interior plastic fitting including rear view mirror (the ball-fitting which is plastic) followed by wipers , then the front hood ejection handle (bottom right of drivers seat), the plastic seal protection on the rear right door, Blue&Me failing to connect, Pen Drive stops working suddenly in the middle of the song, hand brakes getting jammed in the morning and car has to make a thud sound to get in motion. Not to mention that the car makes really cranky sounds while driving as if there are so many loose parts rumbling along - feels like driving a Fiat Padmini (mumbai taxi).

And the most horrible of all, my front right tire bearings have failed and the car makes a loud humming sound on crossing just 40 km/h speed. The service center says I will have to get it replaced. Although the price is kind of affordable but the whole question is ALL THIS AT JUST 11,500 KMS and (almost) 3 years down the line??

I fear the car would just simple wither away in next 2 years and I will have to incur a lot more cost just to keep it running.

I'm seriously considering it to sell it off and buy a better car. Any advices/experiences from other owners who have been using this car for about 5 years or more would seriously help.

thanks everyone,
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Sad to see you not being able to enjoy the Linea as other FIRE owners on the forum. FastLove just completed a whirlwind Bombay-Manali 4000+ km drive in his 1.4 Linea. Check out the ownership review of Mr. J Ravi who has toured almost the entire country on his 1.4 Linea.

Handbrake getting jammed can well be due to the car standing for long periods without using it. FIAT gave a free AC upgrade to all 1.4 Linea owners to rectify insufficcient cooling. Did you install that.

Was TASS able to rectify all issues to your satisfaction. All the issues you point out are minor and can be rectified in a day.

Do post a pic or two of your car as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. kushan_dave

Thanks Gurjinder,

Good to see other users getting awesome experiences. And I'm sure others have had better experiences than I do.

I do understand that these are minor problems and I can get it fixed....however, that was not the point of posting this thread. Its just that I do use hyundai i-20 and Honda Jazz as well...and I havent had such problems in either of the cars even after crossing 30k in each of them. My worry is that the problems might escalate in the coming few years where I will have to pay a lot more to get it fixed then when the car actually becomes old. It just seems to me to be poorly put together. I'm considering selling it off for the exact same reason as well.

thanks again,
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It's not a given that the problems will escalate as time goes by. But if the car keeps sitting idle, anything can go wrong.

What i will suggest is - get these things fixed and use it more often. A car is a machine which stays happy when used. Else things start rusting and you have symptoms like stuck brakes etc. PioneerAaron had to replace discs just because they rusted badly while his car kept standing idle for a long time.

Else, if it's not going to be used much, sell it off. Someone else may use & enjoy it more. Frank but true opinion.

Your i20 and Jazz are used often so the comparison might not be fair.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
    4 people like this.
  5. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

You just dug your own grave by naming the other two cars of yours,now wait till someone pounces upon you and your cars.
    On a serious note,please post pictures of your car,and more details about the noises and issues being faced in Blue and Me
    4 people like this.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    For Blue & Me upgrade the software. You can get a free upgrade site from Blue & Me website. It wont take much time to update the software.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Did you complain to SA about the issues you are facing?since you car is brought in 2010 it should be still in EW period.I think you are worrying too much about minor niggles.You can find a good trusted mechanic to fix these issues.

FIAT car maintenance costs are lower then Honda or Hyundai,probably lowest of all European car makers.
    But from your thread title , it looks like you are concerned about it's market worthiness rather than problems.
    In this forum we don't think like used car dealer who quotes some number based on car badge,we have brought our cars fully knowing what it is.Otherwise we would have brought i20's or Jazz or Rock or Classical!!
    IMHO,if going gets tough for you with FIAT car, please sell it off and enjoy your other two niggle free cars.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    I know a senior IT professional who bought a M800 more than a decade ago. After three months of buying the car, she takes the car for scheduled service. The ODO read 54 kms. This included the distance from warehouse to showroom, showroom to her house, and then to the service center. Her office is around 4kms away from office. She didn't want to take the car to office, but preferred walking.
    In her case, she wanted a car at home, but didn't need it. This is real incident, not a cooked up story.
    In your case, after almost 2.5 years, you have done just 11500kms, which means less than 4000kms a year. You were hardly using it. Already having an i20 and Jazz, you may not have actually needed the car. The frequency of use of your car is your freedom and it is none of my business to question it. But if an issue crops up because of not using the car, then it is your problem. Mentioning this because I don't have the exact background of the whole issue.

Now coming to the problems with the car: Were these issues there from day one? The car has two years warranty and two years extended warranty(if you opted for that). I think at least some of the issues could have been resolved in warranty, if not all. Did you try that? Or did all these issues crop up after two years?
    I do agree that it's painful to live with a car that keeps giving some problem or the other. Be it FIAT or any other car.
    I can only wish that you find a good service center that helps resolve all issues.
    3 people like this.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Completely agree with Sat here.

Hyundai is more expensive to maintain than a Fiat. I say this because I have owned a maintained Getz for 4 years. :)
    1 person likes this.
  10. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    We all understand that you are facing problem with the car, but as others mentioned, those can be rectified with little love and care to the car. Let me share my own experience.

My Dad bought Ford Ikon in 2001, We already had a Maruti Omni that time for 9 years and In city like Kolkata, there is hardly any car like Maruti omni. So we continued to use that Maruti more and more and Ikon was sitting in the garage mos of the time. only time we use that car when going for a long drive, or needed the A/C or some comfort more than Omni. We still have the Ikon at 12 years running. Sold the Maruti in 2008 after 16 years. Instead of being our primary car since then, the odo is yet to cross 40000.

By this time the car was infested by rat, So all wiring had to be changed, Suspension problem, Clutch place gone, spark plug gone, Silencer went hanging because of the rust. The headlight adjustment was bad and pointed upwards than required and still not recovered after visiting n number of trips to service center. There are many more. My father was perplexed that how can a car ran so less can have to many problem. I told him, no matter what, the things are aging, whether on road or in the garage. So at one point we just kept this as running conditions, not to be bothered about niggles etc(Music Player only plays radio, you can't adjust seats-D+P inclination because of broken holder) until recently we sent that to service center. The bill was dent in the pocket as expected. but this was our fault not running the car the way it should be. We treated a Ford like a Maruti.

The point is, it doesn't really matter if you are running or not in terms of depreciation. It will anyway. but, keeping the car just in the garage is as much harmful as abusing it on road.
    9 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.