1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Lacks in Service

Discussion in 'Service Center Reviews' started by Bhushan M Pawar, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Bhushan M Pawar

Bhushan M Pawar Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    Hi,
    I have recently purchased Fiat Linea Emotion 1.3L MultiJet.
    The car is magnificent...
    I have given full marks to the Product...
    Then question arises why Fiat is not that popular as competitors..
    The reason behind Why Fiat is not getting popular is...
    Service centres do not carry the spares with full support. And unable to give prompt service.

I recently have a small accident which damaged the headlights..
    Insurance guy given clearance in a day...
    The sad part is that the Leading Authorised Service Centre (Showroom) do not have the Headlight assembly as spares...
    I have to wait for a week.
    Even the Fiat Manufacturing plant is in Pune District Only (hardly 50Kms away from the Showroom), they cannot manage to get within a day or two..
    I don't know who is creating problem? The showroom guy or Support from Fiat Plant.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Its the dealers who don't order parts .. And why fiat is not doing well ? It may be service. It is also because of few owners to an extent, Who don't post/report when their fiats are trouble free . but their first post in this forum will be a rant against either the service or warranty..
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Bhushan M Pawar

Parts cost money for the dealer. Dealers who are small and financially-tight therefore out of prudence tend to run a lean-inventory, with only high-turnover parts always readily available. This is not unusual, not just in India, but anywhere in the world where relatively-small/new dealers and brands are concerned.

I feel that waiting upto a week for a part is perfectly acceptable. Only the biggest, most profitable dealers of only the biggest brands (namely only Maruti and Hyundai as well as perhaps Toyota and Tata and Mahindra) can provide faster turn-around for this issue. Does that mean that one should only buy Maruti-s and Hyundai-s?

The part availability and ordering system for Fiat has improved by leaps and bounds since the Tata split/independent dealers, and is IMO a non-issue now. However, individual dealers for particular parts may have issues with time-lapses and other processes.....for totally financial reasons.

From my experience, Fiat/FCA is responsive to such issues and is working on it further. In the end, everything is about the financial-transactional ability of dealers to carry huge parts inventory. That is ALWAYS going to involve sub-Maruti, sub-Hyundai, sub-giant-super-profitable-dealer, levels of parts avalibility and turn-around time.

BUT is it 'an issue' or a 'deal breaker', on average? NOT so, at all, anymore, in my opinion. We just cannot get everything from the class-leading product-and-parts-and-warranty quality from Fiat.....as well super-fast parts turnaround and immediate parts availibility in all cases, it is just NOT possible financially. Maruti and Hyundai can in most cases give one the latter, but without the former.

It's a question of what's more important to us as buyers and owners, is it not?

Of course, further improvements in specific dealers, for specific parts and warranty actions etc are necessary, but in the end some greater or lesser 'lag' is inevitable, since the brands' and dealers' sales are not of the order of Maruti and Hyundai. That'sjust the financial reality, as much for brands like Nissan, Renault, Chevy, Ford, VW, Skoda and even many dealers of Tata and Mahindra, as for FIAT.

Until sales boom, by say doubling or increasing say 4 or 5X?!

If there are serious delays or shortfalls, FIAT is very responsive to complaints and even escaltions to senior folk, which is one of the great things about the info and advice on TFi for example! And there is the brilliant facility of 99rpm.com too, many though obviously not all, spares availible at your doorstep, from a good THIRD-party. Check it out.

cheers
    Krishna K and Turbothinghy like this.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Not for the headlight please! It is very important part every service center should stock. If we just consider parts necessary for the car to run it is not important, but it is very important for safety of the car. I would consider a car fit in all other aspects to be unfit to run on the road if the headlight is not working.

Few years back I ended up with a broken headlight. Took the car to Concorde in Mysore Road. Dumb mechanics there messed up the headlight when they tried to align it. They turned the alignment setting beyond its dead end and broke it. That was the last headlight they had in stock. Luckily that time Tata-Fiat JV was alive. They sourced another one from the Diary Circle Concorde. That JV had some such advantages for the customers. Now such possibility has gone down drastically. Therefore Fiat should make it mandatory for the dealers to have such critical parts in stock in specified numbers at all the times. Until then Fiat service will remain popular football (to kick!).
  5. Bhushan M Pawar

Bhushan M Pawar Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    @ Prabhjot,
    Spending 12 L and running without car for a week...
    Do you think, expecting service from dealer is offence... I am not expecting free... i have paid ample 37k as insurance premium.
    Dealers are earning, but not investing into spares... and ultimately dealer and fiat both will loose the business.
    This is typical example of who's first. Murgi ya anda?
    Give prompt service...
    The satisfied customer will definitely do mouth publicity in market. And as a result a good technical product will get a proper justice over maruti or other companies.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Dear Bhushan,
    I agree that after paying our hard earned money if we have to run around these SC its frustating. But, note this problem is not only limited to Fiat, even other service centres have the same problems. I also own an Alto K10 one of the highest selling cars which needed repairs (under partial warantee) and the SC took 15 days to procure spares. Infact, its nearly two months that they still have not got an antenna which was to be replaced. All dealers stock only fast moving spares and avoid costly and slow moving spares.

Kiran
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Bhushan M Pawar

You should understand that dealer have to invest huge sums to keep spares at their stores. Some fast moving spares which are less costly will always be found in the workshops, but few slow moving spares will be strictly on order based. Now the stores have to be intelligent and pro active in identifying the correct spares inventory to be regularly maintained. Also the reason for the delay in shipment is because Fiat India would ship them to a particular location only when they are of sizeable limit. You would not expect Fiat to ship for eg the headlights on the spur, they will till the consignment becomes sizeable to justify the logistics expense. Here both are at fault - Fiat as well as the dealer. The logistics involved should be thoroughly planned.

For eg, I am waiting for the rear door actuator in my Punto which has gone bad and is not available at Balaji Fiat, Thane. Now this is not hampering my driving, hence I have not pursued. If it were to, I would be like a monkey on their back to get the part from wherever they get it.
    Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.
  8. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I had repaired my front driver side lock actuator more than 1.5 years back. Still working well and no signs of any problem (touch wood). Please give it a try - you may not need to go back to the service station for this problem again.
  9. Bhushan M Pawar

Bhushan M Pawar Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    Dear Friends,
    Thanks or ur replies and reviews..
    One thing I wished to highlight that, the cars are very nice indeed. But are not as successful as competitors in terms of count on road.
    This was message to Fiat Management and Dealers where the failure lies..

I do not deny that the Logistics expenses should be justified.
    But when the dealer is in pune, Fiat plant in in pune, Headlight Vendor for Fiat is in pune, Where lies the problem of Logistics Expenses..
    A person can run and get the Headlights as spares. This can be easily managed by dealer.
    Anyways I am suffering....
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    If headlight is not a fast moving part , what is. It is a must have on the inventory as it is among the first component to take a first impact. A set of headlamps and bumper, and the other parts inside the bumper which is quite visible are a must have in stock come what may.
    Fiat should have a system where the dealers inventory should be visible in their computers, and the minimum parts should be sent even without the dealer ordering them. This will ensure that the dealer doesnt scrape the bottom and spoil the brands reputation.

Abdul