1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India top brass should personally connect with Potential customers

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by acechip, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acechip

acechip Superiore

I thought of putting this up in a separate thread. Here's my point.While Fiat India is in revamp mode with its new Exclusive centres and a refreshed website I still do not see the out-reach that they ought to do to potential customers. Today, TOI had a huge First page advt of the Chevrolet Sail Sedan, for which all accounts considered, the only really redeeming feature is the Fiat-GM engine.:mad:

Yet the advt is "in-your-face" for a potential C class entry level sedan buyer-upgrader.

Where is Fiat ? Going by the monthly sales, nowhere, really. And therefore I think that the top brass led by the CEO , should personally visit the Fiat Exclusive and "not-so-Exclusive" Sales and service centres atleast in the top 10 markets of India, meet the potential customers, and inform them about Fiat India plans and try to alleviate their concerns on the dreaded three-letter word "ASS".

Everybody I know appreciates the Punto/Linea but hesitates to buy one. That is the number-one problem. And Fiat top brass should personally intervene here . That will put additional pressure on the marketing team, right down to the field level staff .
    This needs to happen this year if Fiat intends to put the momentum back in its sales and perception. Merely opening glossy showrooms is not going to help if you cant reach potential customers to tell them about the story.
    Customers wont come on their own..atleast not for the next 6 months I would say. Hope someone is listening at Fiat India thru this forum!
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Although your thoughts are valid, i am sure you have not spent enough time reading many threads related to this matter. Please go through. Every level in FIAT India is aware of the issue they are having. Its not a one night magic show which can flip the entire view point of the customer base. Infact from past 2 - 4 months FIAT has put alot of effort and hence i am already seeing many FIAT cars on the roads (Atleast in my city). Of course the numbers isnt as Maruti or even Ford. But hey cmon FIAT is still a toddler (Re-entering wise) now. Their roadmaps and the points they have taken as an action point in the TFI meet all aims at making every step required to make FIAT a success in indian market in the coming days. So sit back and watch anxiously. The ride will be fun is all guaranteed now ;)
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    ^^^True! Hundreds of posts here with good suggestions on what to do. Even I have some although I don't spend too much time on Forums. Then I thought - for what??

Fiat seems to be pretty happy because I am sure that they are rolling in cash - they sell so many engines to all the major car makers. Every time sales of Swifts, Indicas and other Fiat-engined cars surge, Fiat rejoices. It is like the old saying "if you can't beat them, join them!" Who knows maybe they earn more profit margins on engines than cars - it's possible.

C'mon be realistic guys who's worried about customers if without any showrooms or service centres your company manages to rake in huge profits? It's a hat trick for Fiat...lol! It's only a few Fiat owners and members like us who take the trouble of posting on Forums who worry about our car's brand.

They're a cash rich company - look at the way they've thrown in money on Cafe-showrooms which(let's be honest) no one visits - maybe a few Team Fiat members :). Btw it's the worst location in Delhi for a Cafe showroom, the crowds have moved to the malls a couple of years back and the crowds in Janpath and Connaught Place are ones arrive in the Metro in Delhi and go to Palika Bazar for cheap deals. Ironically you will not get parking in CP because all the shopkeepers and their employees including the ones in Palika Bazar, and employees from the old economy offices on the floors in Janpath park their cars for the whole day.

Any businessman would demand returns from such an investment but Fiat guys are chilling out after building their cafes. They have more staff than the cars that they sell each month(or year?). Only good side is since they seem to be so cash rich they will keep running their show and hopefully stick around till we sell our cars after the 4-year warranty period ;-).
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    NO! I was referring to threads talking about FIAT future (TFI meet, MD talks, articles ,etc.)

I do not know about Caffees getting really used up or not. Experts here will comment on that.

My city having no caffee so far, i could really spot out brand new GP's and Lineas alot than 5-6 months before. So for sure i can say FIAT wants to push themselves in every possible way they could although its very late but the game isnt OVER.

FIAT isnt completely happy just coz their engines are sold. As already the future plans laid out by Maruti for having their own Diesel plant in india so the future 1 arm of FIAt will be cut off. May not be in next 5 years but after that definitely. The same will be followed by other companies too.

I too for sure do not know why FIAT didnt care much for the indian market all these years when the car market was booming and growing. I again call for experts who knew the insights.

If you had read other threads @ TFI, i had stated earlier that for Mr. MD of FIAT india generating revenue back to the company is much much important than just releasing new models which incur alot of investments, etc. So for that first the customers has to be attracted, and for them it has to be conveyed strongly that FIAT is back with a bang for a long time. How do they do that? By creating good showrooms, caffee, etc. TV Ads and now their website is beautiful revamped. So step by step they are going ahead. Its not a 1 night show please.

I beg to differ on the cash richness. FIAT italy is having alot of issue w.r.t recession and same with many other countries too. They event moved their plants to get over losses and other problems.

The point is, i am sure (based on the articles, interviews, TFI threads) FIAT india is serious and they going to succeed may be not today but def day after.
  5. the point has been put very well...if the FIAT caffe would had been at Select Citywalk or DLF Promenade or Ambiance Gurgaon the effect would had been much better with the equivalent rents...still they can put some events there for brand building it helps a lot !
  6. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    If i go by your post's heading, I would say "Highly impractical" in real world. Even if Top honcho from Fiat India goes to showrooms one by one, How much time do you expect him to stay there ? How may customer (potential) he will be able to meet in that time frame ? Even if he meets say 2-3 potential customers, how will that effect the whole lot out there those who are not it the showroom ?

I would prefer a CEO to invest his time in Planning, Enacting and Supervising the Growth Strategies. The most important is supervising these plans, from there he'll get the Feedback about right and wrong about Fiat India.

As for Newspaper ads, Fiat has been giving those full page ads also, But it was always in collaboration with TATA. Now is the time for Stand alone promotion.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I am not sure if those places you mentioned are in inside the city or outskirts. However, if i assume that they are center places then what FIAT has done is a very far thinking. In the future (5-10 year planning) city/town grows outskirts. Today if you observe, most developed cities people (living in the central locations) already own a car. Atleast 60%+ already do some or the other. So the newbies obviously go out. So the next generations customers exists not in the central part but outside. So having showrooms out of the city may looks bad option today but in a long standing, IMO it will work out.

- - - Merged Post - - -

1. Not just 1 top management guy is this job now. Its every public relationship front persons job is to be close with the dealers and customers and constantly get the feedback as for the improvements.
    2. Yes CEO to invest more time for planning but also to have an community meets just like TFI meet. Even today Microsoft has learn that open community is the way for the future and into the masses. The same way a bit of investment to go in doing some community work by FIAT would be good i believe. For example: Nature programs, save wild, Conserve fuel, TFI meets, customers meet (regional), etc.

Note: I guess we are digressing a lil bit here. I am done! Tata :redcar
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

I dont think it would be a big challenge for the top 10 people in Fiat India to fan out and cover the top 10 cities (where over 50% of the cars are sold in India) every month.
    We are not talking about a work in progress, incremental improvement here. We are talking about starting from the scratch. If Fiat hopes to sell even double the cars it sold last year (around 10000?) then they have to fundamentally shake things up here. Inviting TFI is good, it spreads the news. But when will Fiat India's staff themselves come to the occasion?

Another point that some people in this and other forums try to paint is that Fiat is somewhat of a niche manufacturerer or atleast should try to mould itself into one. I completely disagree. Both Linea and Punto , fine cars that they are, are essentially mass-market products. That Fiat does not manage to sell more Lineas than even a decidedly less superior SX4, or Punto selling less than inferior cars like Micra and the Figo is a matter of shame.
    Its easy to blame Tata for for this but I think thats just shirking responsibility. I visited the Fiat Caffe Pune last year, a few days after its launch and most of the visitors were existing Fiat owners and it was all a mutual admiration society. Thats no good in my opinion. And btw, I did not hear from Fiat Caffe Pune afterwards..So much for customer connect.

If Fiat wants to restore and resurrect pride and respect to the Fiat Brand that us TFIans feels so passionate about, they 've got to roll up their sleeves and dig deep. Otherwise, they should be content being a powertrain manufacturer as posters have rightly put it.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Please do not quote every thing. It just makes noise. Kindly quote specifics to which you wish to reply for. :)

Anyway, i am sure all top management is fanning out and having their eyes on making strategic plans to improve themselves. Getting on the field and doing the work may be an imaginative thing to think. For that lower level folks are present.

Not sure what specific things you consider as scratch. Bringing every FIAT person to the occasion isnt feasible and necessary. Respective responsible people (Public relation front) doing responsible hard smart work is enough IMO.

There are many reasons as to why those cars are not selling as like others. Me too not sure of all these years why FIAT slept. But i am sure and confident that now they have woken up and in the coming days they gonna improve those models (2013 refreshed GP is on the way) to attract more customers.
    Trust me, already many people at my office these days are atleast talking a line about FIAT cars and projecting their view points which they even never thought of doing earlier. Infact just today 1 colleague of mine who is a Sx4 core fan first time in 1.5 years of time i knew him talked about FIAT and commented about the cars interior where as the other applaud Tjet model to be awesome though he has swift.

Again its the stupidity of the showroom people and not FIAT. i do not see the relation. FIAT can check with randomly picked people but cant be done for all of its customers. Its not practical sir. So entirely cant blame FIAT. May be esteem customers like you can provide feedback through proper channel to FIAT for improvements.

Agreed on digging deep. Unless you make your hands messy nothing shall happen properly. I hope and wish and i think i am positive that FIAT shall do it in the coming days.

I also think that not just Mr. Antanasio (Sorry for spelling) to be on the lime light here but make his other indian mgmt guys to come out and get visible and make things happen some way.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys, we discussed everything being discussed above pretty much to it's death.

At the end we all agreed that let's just enjoy our FIATs. Let FIAT think what they have to do or not to do.

Locking the thread.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.