1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Ah, but you see my good man, I meant that it looks good from the point of view of the common buyer. The EcoSport sells 3000+ a month. And if people like the EcoSport, they will love this one. And it will be cheaper than a Duster for sure. So it will sell with the masses who want a Duster but can't afford one. I know so many people who want a Duster.

Yes, they will market it like nobody's business. But its ok, Fiat will plod on doing what they do best. Making good cars and hoping people will see them as they pass by the showrooms or on Page 3 of a few select newspapers.
    adisrini1103 likes this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Renault and Nissan and Ford are one-rick ponies: Duster/Terrano/Ecosport OR in profit terms, exports. The latter might be secure.

BUT mefeels the days of the Duster/Ecosport/whatever else Renault brings (in 2018, i think is what they've said)...are very numbered. Maruti, HY, Tata, Honda will be here with small 'SUV'-s within a few months, with more coming within a year or two from them. I for one am dead certain they will suffer utterly once the big-bully sumo-s of the Indian Car Baazar/Akhaara start eating their tiffin.
  3. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Fiat spends, but does not spend it wise. Couple of days back I saw Avventura commercial on TV. A viewer who does not know about Fiat or Avventura can't make out anything from that commercial. It runs so fast and it is gone before the viewer understands what is it about. Absolutely no highlighting of brand or model. Absolutely no brand recall. That commercial is a total waste of effort and money from Fiat.

I am no saying Fiat should hire some cricketer or film actor for the commercial. Learn from Vodafone - those zoo-zoos or puppy did what big stars could not do to other brands. Remember "Washing powder nirma" jingle? It was also made without any star. It is still in our memory. That is how a commercial should be. It need not be expensive, it need not have big stars. But it should linger in the head of the viewer for a long time. Hire the right agency to do it. Think Fiat!
    Raj_pol and asimpleson like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    For the Kitna deti hai janata the cute "petrol khatam hi nahi hunda" ad by Maruti too. I mean if someone can point me to Fiats marketing head, I think I can try to get them and Rajiv Rao of Zoo Zoo fame in a room to talk about Fiat's marketing.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    J D Power has reports out this year (on their website) which have found that only about 30-35% of buyers consider even a single other car or brand than the one they eventually buy. Safe to say that most prospective/potential Fiat custumers are no more than 10-12% of this already small percentage. Then adjust for still-puny dealership network coverage....

Another research survey of theirs finds that Indians are as a rule indifferent to any car ad that speaks of trendi-ness, youth-style, life experiences, and mostly respond only to ads that talk of features or technology or prices. i.e., Most car buyers are very immune to brand-building efforts via stylised advertising. This seems to be completely unlike any other car market in the world, where a large part of the public is very open to and interested in brand-stories/histories/'sexiness'/experiential richness.

The two research surveys quoted (and they have several others, including one showing that other than MS, HY, T, Honda and, slightly, Tata) car brands in India have very, by international standards, low levels of brand-'power' or brand-'pull', and that Fiat is only slightly less weak as a brand than HM-Mitsubishi). Fiat is rated by their survey at 550/1000 while even tata motors is at 700/1000 or so, let alone MS, HY etc which are closer to 900/1000.

These J D Power custumer studies reveal the extreme difficulty for a brand like Fiat to grow meaningfully in the weirdly closed-minded and branding-indifferent and risk-averse indian car baazar.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and asimpleson like this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The fact that Fiat cars are (now) just as pocket friendly to maintain is not well advertised @prabhjot. Hyundai is just like Maruti considered to offer consumer friendly vehicles, with less to worry about; the peace of mind quotient (POMQ). That will happen with acceptance, and will need consistent successful models, combined by marketing (and hype) and of course service. So while JD power research is true, the brand building mantra will need atleast these three to work in conjuction over a period of time.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    In other words, in the best case: it will take very long, and will happen only if a symphony across the many different aspects of the brand-experience is achieved and sustained (everything from dealer sales quality to warranty honouring policies to ASS quality and cost to sustained multi-plex/channel marketing to all-new models).

And even then this market's informational closed-minded-ness and herd-biased purchase decisions and even opinions would seem to make it very difficult indeed, all-new models or not.

And so: extremely expensive, for Fiat (or VW or Renault or Chevy ....) over too many years with huge risk of failure-to-breakthrough.

It is not clear to me at least, then, that Fiat should persist with trying to compete too hard in the mass market, for buyers who are en masse so strongly predisposed towards MS, HY, H, T or even Tata.

Instead one or three niche, un-mass-market strategies might make the only viable long-term financial sense?

Abarth+t-jets+automatics/amt-s+the 500models(ckd/localized manufacture of the 500X and L in the d-segment/even cbu)+Jeeps(including highly localized ones)?

Perhaps a joint project with Tata Motors leading, to bring the terrific new Doblo and/or Ducato, localized in 2 versions or just as Tata-s?

Fiat, unlike VW/Renault-Nissan etc, have the advantage of high revenues and good profits via Tata and Maruti. They CAN therefore, unlike these other firms, take a niche(s)-based approach to the GREAT mystery of cracking the Indian mass automobile market. No?
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Maybe from business standpoint, but not too great thing for those willing to spend extra or compromise a bit on fancy features to get more of what matters, a good chassis, sturdy built quality and some nice drive dynamics; what is missing is just a better powertrain to enjoy or brag about depending on ones outlook towards cars. I mean those volumes will be needed for Fiat to even consider providing sales and services worth-while and within reach for the average buyer.

But the idea of Tata being 'the brand' just like Maruti has been since 800, Van days for Suzuki can be a great thing for Fiat, again from business POV. Instead of scraping off a few platforms for lack of volumes better to offer these via Tata label. Yes the Doblo, Ducato, Iveco can be good choices for that. Actually even the entire Fiat professional brand can be marketed in such a manner if they want to retain their name too. That way they can actively be involved with spares provision and service supervision, with more tie ups with other private players for service needs. Will keep the share holders happy too, maybe? For a change on that topic how about Fiat going into more heavy industries solution provisions like MAN, TATA, Mitsubishi etc. for some more global respect as a heavy weight? o_O
    Oh My Dayum, even MAN is owned by VW..:wtf:, Dayum Dayum Dayum..!
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot agree with you that indians are close minded to other car brands other that 4 major, but they have earned this reputation.
    can i ask you that did you noticed the TV advertisement of Maruti Alto K10 ? why they are doing it for the top selling car in the world by numbers ?? that even on the event of India Vs Pakistan Cricket match of world cup - the most expensive one.
    they are the market leaders, going by your logic they should just seat idle like FIAT after launching the new model.
    anyway people are going to by another 23-25 thousand altos in the coming month, but they are still doing advertisement of it.
    another one is -
    Hyundai have started the indian operations when FIAT have shut down their shops here. they have also faught great battle to be at their current position.
    What Fiat has done my Friend ?
    Raj_pol and prabhjot like this.