1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

You are quite, though not entirely, wrong, sir, am afraid: FCA has indeed been marketing (the Crafted for car lovers campaign, also Abarth ads) across media: I have seen full and half page ads, billboards, 'paid??' favourable automag reviews, lakhs of youtube video 'hits' and so on. They have had several ad campaigns over the last year and a half (from the 'make the move' ones onwards.)

The Brand is is bajao-ed sirji, in the eyes of the vast numbers of the public, that is all: the products, their prices and feature-set etc are not the problem, and the ad-s aren't either. I have been claiming this forever: it will take several years of incremental brand-trust improvements, many model launches, many many ad campaigns small and big, before any breakthrough. Not before the 2017/2018 all-new models.

If then.

Nobody from my experiences, ever buys a car or a house based on ads, sachin, dhoni, viraat kohli, sunny leone or not!

ALSO: neither Ford nor Renault nor nissan nor VW nor Skoda nor Chevy are making any 'progress' in india. They continue to accumulate losses, over and above their legacy-losses, their market share is stuck or in decline from already low levels. The ONLY 'progress' Ford and Renault-Nissan have made is in using India-as-export-base for cars, components and r&d, despite one model each that were a sales-hit, since they were first-movers without any competition from the Indian baazar dada-s (Ecosport and Duster, respectively).

That, then, is the key: FIAT would not need too much more than 2% marketshare to offer good vehicles here at a profit for dealers and themselves, IF, that is, they add an export-centrism to their engine sales, sales of the amt gearbox, and the tata jv factory that sells so many more tata-s than it does fiat-s. FIAT would not need to market and advertize themselves to losses after losses (like VW), nor would they need to take the wild 'third world car' bet after bet with bad bad odds that Carlos Ghosn has so spectacularly and failingly been taking since the Renault Logan.
    Raaz likes this.
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

The brand is bajao-ed- agreed, but with Abarth atleast they could have come out with Dhol, tasha, Damru, Bass guitar, wah-wah pedals and all other wicked forms of making noise about 0-100? Much more needed to be done, because at 11 lac apiece, the Abarth twins are utterly butterly affordable brutes, for those willing to make a small adjustment to their commuting needs in terms of space and luggage capacity. If I were in the market for a good hatch, I'd go the restaurants/malls a bit less and enjoy some "me" time driving an Ab-Punto or an Ab-Avvy, rather than the pretty but insipid performers like Jazz, Baleno and I-20 and the slightly overrated and black-sooty :penguin: VW Polo.
    As I have said earlier, the Indian customer needs to be educated about the car's capabilities, especially for those who are willing to look beyond kitna-deti-hai. And trust me, there are plenty such even in my office, who are not buying the 20-25 kmpl nonsense, but are otherwise hesitant/under-informed about Fiat/Abarth.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  3. Bharath Balasubramanian

Bharath Balasubramanian Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Pardon me but why do some or many here think that POLO is overrated. Is that it cannot be compared to the POLO outside India or that it cannot be compared to the Punto? one of the reasons i ask this is because having driven Japanese cars for 10 years i now drive a polo for a little more than a year. Truly the drivability is exceptional... or so i thought. Where does the Punto really score over the Polo if at all it does?
    dadasaheb likes this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

As many wits have stated before, here and on other fora: 80-90% of folk would never even consider a FIAT nevermind an Abarth, and of those that do, another 80-90% would praise it, maybe even gush over it like so many/everyone are doing over the Abarth Punto, but there will be all-too-precious few who'd actually buy it!

Your faith in the open-mindedness of the car buying public, to be targetted via advertizing by FCA India, is 'too much sirji!' Reports of the number of automotive-engineering-enthusiasts open to any ostensibly non-sensible, 'risky purchase' car, let alone an FIATAbarth, are greatly exagerrated, imo.:watching:

Nice then that FCA, being the only one, is trying, regardless, including with ads! No?:p
    Turbothinghy, asimpleson and Raaz like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Bharath Balasubramanian, 'slightly over-rated' the Polo mind you. ;)

I personally like the quality of the Polo or Vento, always have. But VW does use slight old technology esp. the diesels. and for that it does not get blamed soo very much I think. Apart from that there are more problem areas in terms of cumulative technology provided in the car and hence the slight over-rated Polo one could say. :)
  6. Bharath Balasubramanian

Bharath Balasubramanian Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks for that information. But how would you stack it up against a Punto? Any specific areas where the Punto would score over the Polos. For example: would it be fair to say that Puntos are much more sturdier and have better materials used?
  7. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @asimpleson

With All due respect I would be very keen to know more of that "old tech diesel" part of Polo with the launch of their 1.5 L engine.If You are talking of the difference in Power specs due to the difference in fuel injection and exhaust system. Then it is not due to that they are not providing but we are not ready with the basic parameter FUEL.
    Even Merc ,BMW,VOLVO and our beloved Toyota have different Fuel inj system in india then in europe.You can see a very small line in printed add of VOlvo or merc about the fuel system(though you might have to use a lens to read that).
    In 2004-5 when Toyota launched turbocharged innova after qualis it never passed PUC test reason being excessive black smoke.Then in end of 2005 they completely changed the Fuel system and problem solved but what they did was bringing in the older tech then what they had earlier plonked in. Same happened with daewoo and opel in 90's.

@Bharath Balasubramanian
    Though I have driven POLO once and that to a few meters.One obvious diff would be the clutch.
    second would be the service cost.I know you would say they are more or less same but let your car cross 90K mark then we can definitely compare.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Bharath Balasubramanian

Ride/suspension quality(all told), steering, clutch, cost of spares and warranty policies, diesel nvh and, of course......emissions. And company/dealer responsiveness and responsibility, dare i say 'ethics', esp of advertizing and self-promotion?

Also, imo design inside or out: fit and finish and paintwork are truly great but there is a deep banality, coldness, and too much of a VAG family look (inside as much as out) to their design, i feel. There's little 'play' or design 'musicality' of shapes, finishes, borders, sizes: a somewhat inexpressive, regimented, almost standardised look and feel, as if designed by a well-meaning but unimaginative committee of too-old, boring German rather than Italian or French (or indeed Korean), managers!

The Polo is also notably more cramped than the Punto Evo in the rear, less roomy as well as less wide. less gc, smaller wheels, braking not as good.

note: have driven the vento diesel and the polo tsi, the latter a fair bit.

So: not bad but, in India: over rated and also much and very obviously diluted from the same car offered in Europe/the UK (which i have personally experienced).
    asimpleson, Raaz and Ichimaru like this.
  9. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    Pretty much all points covered. I believe it is also more expensive than the Punto for no logical reason (my views).
    Last but not the least, it is not a FIAT :)
    jackharrisw and Raaz like this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @acechip @prabhjot

We live in a country where even in the luxury segment (320d, a4 etc) people prefer diesel over petrol. If I am not wrong the BMW 3 series has 4-5 diesel trims and only 1 petrol trim.
    'Kitna deti hai' thinking seems to be ingrained in us :D
    prabhjot likes this.