1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan -- I see a few reasons:
    1. Kitna detee hai -- has no solution. If m/c is heavy avg will be less. Those who don't understand this, I call them "defensive" buyers.

2. Over dependence on "other's" inputs while buying and their buying decision doesn't remain their own by the time they end up buying it.

3. So called "Auto Reviewers" have their own favorites. And, most just rehash each others comments and create a negative sentiment. FCA perhaps needs to "Manage" them. My own tendency has been never to believe any "auto experts" and base my judgment the way I feel behind the wheels. Most first time buyers get behind the wheels with opinion of "Auto experts" or what their Verna and Suzuki friends have told them. They are "Hypnotized" against FCA well before they put their seat belts on. I don't need an "Auto expert" to tell me that gear shift is rubbery. I don;t find any problems with T-Jet's gear shift. I move to Figo, 800 with no problems at all.
    Solution:
    1. Get into Coke Vs Pepsi type of war for sometime at least. "Aggressive" buyers from younger generation will definitely wake up. Defensive buyers will never be a customer. It is a mindset problem.

2. I think, FCA should throw up an open challenge to all machine m/f in same class -- Come's lets have a 20 lap race on a F1 track to prove ourself. If anyone declines, make that part of ad campaign. Address the aggressive buyer because "defensive" buyers will never be their client.

3. Sponsor cars for rally events and publicize them.

4. Honestly, their TV ad campaigns were useless. They were pitching their ads like Apple does -- hard-to-decipher. They have to realize, they are not Apple in India. First tell the buyer what are your strong points and hit competition hard on their comparative weak points. There are enough ways to do it w/o getting into legal hassles. In short, do it like Samsung did when they came out with Galaxy 2. Hit the competition below the belt. Believe me, there are buyers like me who love to favor the weak. There's a Linea MJD in the same society as me.
    OT: When we diced to buy Figo Petrol for son (as we never even got bicycle for him), many expert comments came flying in. Avg is low, low end pull is bad, low end the car is a drag, engine is outdated etc etc. I turned a deaf ear again.:)
  2. drknaresh

drknaresh Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
  3. SVN

SVN Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I am also in very confused state. Time to upgrade. Still not able to figure out a good compact SUV :(
  4. Revv

Revv Amatore

Chinchwad, Pune
    Chinchwadgaon Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Two experiences in last two days
    Saturday : Went to check Ciaz diesel Hybrid.
    Dealership Exp : Excellent. TD offered without even asking. One SA was assigned to each customer. He is always there and answers all your queries. He even gave me a tour of their accessories department and service center. Follow up calls started immediately from next day. Spent almost 2 hours in Maruti showroom even though I had no intention of buying any car.

Today : Went to Jay Vijay Fiat service center to check 'Check Engine' tell tale which started flashing. I contacted Sky Moto first, They advised me to go to Jay Vijay. Anyway this service center is booked till next 3 days. It took them 1 hour to tell me that they won't be able to service my car within this week. There was only one technician who was looking after all cars which were there for service. So called 'Customer care' officer in this service center told me very rudely to come after 3 days and told the technician whom I was talking to, to focus on job at hand. All this when I am standing next to him and we were chatting for may be like 5 minutes max!!

Needles to say as soon as possible I am going for Ciaz. And I don't think Fiat will sell more than what they are selling now how so ever hard they try ..
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    kr_vasudev, JohnyBoy and dadasaheb like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Revv

Needless to say though it is only IMO, you're making a mistake, missing the woods for the trees, the jangal for the paudhaaa, the fillum for the popcorn, etc.

Because if we apply this logic (Jayvijay booked for 3 days etc) in Gurgaon, ONLY Toyota and the luxury carmakers qualify, and DRS Fiat too which is mostly good and timely, and the likes of Fiat's fellow market-backbenchers (Skoda, Nissan, Chevy, VW) certainly not Honda, Maruti and Hyundai, who have NO spare capacity, are bursting-at-the-seams and even less 'personalized' attention!

A busy after sales centre is, in fact, a reason to be assured not frustrated or angered: it means longer-term financial viability and strength for/of the dealer. Now, if the quality of the work is poor or the practices unethical, that is a different matter, but is that a complaint one can make of say JayVijay Pune, as yet, based on available experiences and reports/testimonials?

But yeah, i suppose the Maruti NEXA scale and quantity+quality of attention for sales and follow-ups including for after-sales-liason-work is surely unprecedented in the Indian mass market, and leaves the likes of FIAT and pretty much everyone else on the.....backbenches.
    cassini likes this.
  6. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    OT

@prabhjot - Why should a customer be even worried, how healthy the financials of the dealership is? I agree that a dealership needs 6-8 months to settle down the operations and to operate smoothly. At the most, I would wait a day in case there is too much rush, beyond that its just that the service is set up in such a way that it is over utilized to reduce the cost hit which as a customer I certainly don't care about.

Whether Fiat sells one car or one thousand cars, I expect reasonable accessibility to the service and spares irrespective how good or bad the dealer's financial health is.
    Revv likes this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @nkrishnap

The economics of dealerships and after sales service is such that economies of scale are everything, which is why Maruti's and Hyundai's, also toyota's but in their case they have humunguous margins though they sell few cars, ability to sell and service cars very profitably is increasingly leaving almost all other firms and their dealers+ASS centres struggling.

As I said, Gurgaon, perhaps the new car capital of the country is replete with floudering, loss making, dealers+ASS centres from all brands other than MS, HY, TY and Honda.

IF JVijay is able to prove credentials of ethical behaviour and good-enough quality of faster-moving spares inventory, and of mechanic/technician/SA HR quality over the next few months, which testimonials from TFians from Pune will reveal soon, like DRS Gurgaon has for example, it IS good that the ASS centre is busy and to-the-brim, since FIAT does not have the sales volumes to ensure enough profits from sales alone. This is just the brute economics of the dealership and ASS business, that everyone from Fiat to VW, Skoda and Nissan+Renault face.

It is unrelaistic to expect the dealerships and ASS centres of any firm other than the 3-4 dominant Jap and Korean ones to, across the country and on average, maintain even minimally viable operations with (a) high lease rentals (b) large parking areas (c) huge spares inventory (waiting of upto a week or more is inevitable for many spares) (d) spare HR and physical and equipment capacities in order that there be no waiting times.

In the bigger, more expensive with HR and land/property/rents, cities MOST dealers from ALL the smaller-selling brands are INCREASINGLY unviable, excepting perhaps some TATA and Ford ones, and of course those, for now, from Mahindra.

The economics of dealerships and aftersales and spares is currently very very nasty for any firm other than MS, HY, Hnda and Toyota. The economics of dealers in gurgaon from say VW, Skoda, Nissan, Renault and Chevy, even BMW is arguably even worse than Torque motors Fiat, or DRS Fiat, here, since their lease rentals and overheads are much higher? A few have shut down (a Skoda, a Chevy and a Tata).

The FIAT ass scene in dilli ncr will be healthier if at least 2 ass centres and dealerships close down: the remainder, the better ones, will be healthier, BECAUSE busier, and will potentially improve further, as a result?

Surely that does not mean one should only then buy from these dominant 2-4 brands? Besides, to base one's car purchase decision on say how cramped the parking space is of the ASS centre or appointment-waiting times is, very much, to miss the woods (the overall car ownership satisfaction and pleasure etc) for the trees (waiting times for some rarer parts, for eg).
  8. Bharath Balasubramanian

Bharath Balasubramanian Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I will not completely agree with you on this. It is a bit like me justifying the expensive nature of VW in India just because I am mighty impressed with them.

My friends own different brands and each of them has his or her own perspective on ownership and driving pleasure. Last afternoon an elderly gentleman was shocked telling me that Hyundai ascent does Mumbai to Pune and back on 20 liters of diesel. You must have seen the pride on his face.

lets hope Fiat makes us all proud in the near future...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Bharath Balasubramanian

Sir, what do you not agree with, I did not quite get your suggestion/disagrement?

The discussion was about whether it makes no sense at all buying a Fiat say in Pune (which, for the sake of argument, let us say the potential buyer thinks MAY have some merit, some distinctive USP-s over other cars from other brands).....

ONLY because the After Sales centre is not as spacious/high capacity/with very high spares inventory/ample parking space/convenient location/zero waiting times, etc...

RATHER than say poor quality of personnel or dubious/unethical pricing or bad warranty practices, etc?

As yet JayVijay in Pune has not been shown to be the latter, but suffers from the former, apparently, hence the discussion.

Of course if there were no POTENTIAL use/aesthetic value to buying say a FIAT in the first place, there's no point discussing such matters.

Believe me the profit margins, IF there are ANY, for many many dealers and ass centres for any brands other than MS, HY, T, Honda, Mahindra are extremely tight, and their business conditions are worsening, even as Maruti and Hyundai dealers soak up evermore sales and service business.

After all, there's a sound business-conditions reason why Pandit Auto's elaborate and no doubt pretty high-cost/poor return model proved unviable in Pune? And has been replaced by JayVijay's more 'economical' and presumably more-viable one (presuming JV is not 'economical' with the quality and ethics of work and billing etc, that is)?

Maruti- or Toyota-level SCALE and therefore quality of things like ready spares inventory/ultra-short waiting periods for rarer spares/excellently vast workshops in great locations with ample parking/high levels of stable experienced HR-/technician quality with low turnover of personnel, etc are NEVER going to be possible for ANY other firms to match, on average, let alone the likes of FIAT or SKODA.

Economies of scale apply as much to servicing and spares as they do to the actual manufacture of the cars.

Where FIAT (or SKODA or NISSAN or CHEVROLET?) can 'make up' the 'gap' somewhat as it indeed does already in most ass centres, is:

through greater personal attention/supervision/involvement of owners in service and repair-work, 'personalization'/relationships with mechanics/SA-s and managers, better warranty practices, better quality and costing of spares, being pretty responsive to complaints/grievances/escalations, etc.

However, there still are some very unacceptably poor FIAT dealers/ASS centres around, at least 3 such examples in Delhi ncr exist, while the other 3 are pretty good. Though it may be that even they have good financial cause for their sub-par-ness, given the nature of the workforce in these parts, and the extortionate land and building rents/property values and so on? In which case, some selective reduction of low-quality and financially struggling ASS centres, in some cities, is called for in order to bolster the health of the remaining good, viable ones?
  10. Aniruddh Sharma

Aniruddh Sharma Timido

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I understand the phenomenon yet feel sad about this.

For most of the people in India, buying a car is more dependent on the other factors than the car itself.
    We are so indulged in the dealership experience (Paani nahi pilaya, SE was an idiot) that we tend to forget that its the car that will remain with us for 8-10 years and we would not be visiting the showroom or the service centre everyday but of course we would be driving almost everyday! And technically Maruti cars can never come close to FIAT.

Few days back I sat in the swift of my friend and it started raining. The noise that was made due the falling water on the roof of the swift did not only scare me but also made me realize (yet again) how superior my Punto is. I would never trade my fiat for any maruti.

Honestly, a Maruti is perhaps the best car to BUY (service, sales experience, number of dealerships etc) but a FIAT is most definitely a better CAR technically out of the two!

Just my 2 cents.
    prabhjot, abhinav_nani and cassini like this.