1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan

FCA has grown very well in Australiaover the last 3-4 years, but largely on the back of JEEP-s, and a fair few Fiat 500's. The Australian rhd market is very suv-biased, hence is a major market for exports out of India for the Jeep c-suv (and the renegade? the more-or-less confirmed sub-renegade model?) starting in 2017.

It has not seen much demand for the Indian-made Punto or the Linea, over the last several years, which is why it is so hard for FCA to figure out which, if any, all-new, highly-localized models to bring to India in 2017 and 2018 to 'follow-on', cricketing pun intended, from the Linea and Punto. Since exports are THE key to Indian investments/bets.

I for one am hoping they decide on the Aegea sedan and Crossoverhatch, as well as the 500X, perhaps even the 500L, at 12 lakhs+, since those models all share platforms, powertrains and perhaps a lot else with the Jeep C-suv and Renegade. Those models, rather than the Brazilian Punto-replacement and the new Grand Sienna, will indeed see meaningful export demand from rhd markets like Australia, Japan and the UK etc. The FIAT brand must leave the mass market (sub-10/12 lakhs)!

We will, I suppose, know of their specific decisions on the matter at the AutoExpo in february. Kevin Flynn said in that interview to ndtv that they were looking at their 'platform strategy' keeping global demand (i.e., exports) in mind.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2015 ---
    Who knows about the engineering and materials-specification for a hypothetical Indian-made, localized 500X, and therefore its costing, which in any case depend hugely on economies of scale something that is a function more of export-volumes? With the localized t-jet as well as the 1.3 and 1.5 mjd-s, the latter for sure to be deployed on the Jeep C-suv (and a related Ranjangaon-built new Tata suv too?)

They ought to be able to, IF they dilute the too-advanced, wasted-on-Indians, all-independent suspension architecture for a simpler one similar to those used on the Linea and the Punto+Avventura, price it at or even for some versions well-below the XUV500 and the Creta (which are pushing 16 lakhs+).

Remember: there is the 'New Avventura' b-suv planned too, and possibly the Agea sedan as well, which all share not just powertrains but platform and many modules and sub-assemblies with the 500X, the Renegade and the Jeep c-suv. i.e., economies of scale and therefore competitive costingpricing should be possible, provided, that is, there are enough export volumes for one or all of these made- and localized-in-India models.

Which last condition is true from all one can guage about rhd-market demand for Fiats and especially these smaller, more global, new Jeep models. Australia and the UK, Japan, korea, ireland etc will buy a fair few 500X-s, just as they do the 500-s: but they will not buy many Punto- or Linea-type/segment vehicles that are branded 'FIAT'.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @prabhjot -- If launched in India and correctly priced, I would consider Agea sedan any day over the rest. Guess by then I would be contemplating selling Ford Figo that son drives to college now. He will be graduating next year so will wait for a year or two after that. So 2017/18 I should be in market again looking for a new car. If nothing new comes, then probably Linea diesel, if still being sold. Resale value etc doesn't matter to me as I am willing to sell a car even as scrap if company/model vanishes. Last we sold a car as scrap before buying T-Jet was Opel Astra 1.6 for 20K :)
    cassini, asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  3. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @rusticnomad : The Opel Astra was an outstanding car in its time. Great handling, superb build. A friend of mine traveled extensively all over the country with it. Once, a Honda City rammed him on the side at such speed. The Opel's doors only dented a little. Had it been a Japanese/Korean tin can, it would have been a whole different story. The Linea is a worthy successor to it. But it is kind of hard for the middle class Indian to scrap a car as most take out loans to obtain one. So just the bleeding wallet causes us to hold on to the car and keep valuating a used one too high.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @rusticnomad

Sir: me too, as well as my parents, and quite possibly one or two more in the wider family-friends'-circle for 2017/2018. Which is why there's the hope, one that I am feeling more assured about now, post-Kevin Flynn appointment, Abarth-launch etc, that FCA will have at least one-for-each-brand (FIAT and JEEP) great Linea-quality OR better offering by then from both.
  5. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan -- Let me share details of one accident in dark night in middle of nowhere. This was in 2001. Normally, night driving I don't trust anyone. But that day was different. 5 Adults and the driver was driving. Allahabad to Sultanpur was the journey, starting at around 10 pm. Dark night, 30 odd km from Pratapgarh and a sudden bend at a rly crossing and the driver misjudged at ~140 kmph -- under steered, the car hit a lone vertical steel but "rail track like" barricade and stopped with a thud after some distance. Had the travel been around 10 feet more and it would have fallen close to 20 feet down. Whole worry was about engine, radiator damage, but luckily both were safe.

None of us injured, I had minor bruise on the knee -- sitting on rear bench. Now, the biggest issue on hand was getting the car started on sunrise, as it was pitch dark and we really couldn't figure out anything. Luckily, some local village level mechanic came and connected some wire which had fallen off. Car started.

Now the next issue. The car had gone over after hitting the vertical track barricade (which was bent after the incident) and the left wheel fork was all screwed up, with wheel out by no less than 20 degrees and rim also bent a bit. Drove around 30 km in that state, with speed not being able to take beyond 20-30 as heavy screeching sound used to come due to wheels completely in disarray.

Reached Pratapgarh somehow. Then thought of getting the car transported to Lucknow which was the nearest location for Opel service center. Then one "truck" mechanic came to us and said he has done lot of repairs for Daewoo (that was also popular then) under similar situations so he can fix the benmt fork and the rim. In 180 bucks -- 2 hrs, he did somehow managed to straighten badly skewed the fork and then do wheel alignment using some "desi jugaad". From there we drove back to Sultanpur -- my native place.

Then from native place to Indore - 1000+ km drive -- two of us drove the car back w/o any issues. Only downside, couldn't take above 80. When we inquired about the fork here in Indore, the quote was some 15k for entire assembly IIRC, back in 2001 :)

Too steep so thought of carrying on. Car worked perfectly well for long before it started giving more of electrical problems. So got fed up and stopped using it and let it stay unused for 3 good years, just for blocking the parking space in society.

It was this accident that me and my brother decided that it will always be an European or American build vehicle and "Japs and Koreans" were completely out right from the word go. So, Skoda and Linea were the only ones shortlisted. That's how we finally landed up with Linea. We were ridiculed and were being pushed by relatives/friends to Verna. But, we turned a deaf ear. When me and my brother talk "Brands/Make" we always quote the Astra accident.

Only ONE friend was happy when we finally bought Linea. He knew some defense personnel whose Linea fell around 30 feet vertically and yet was in perfect driveable condition and he dove back without any injury. The defense guy keeps saying, this is a TANK and not a car. I am not sure if the Ad on Fiat's FB page - "My car Fell 30 feet ..." was this case. Perhaps it is. But, anyone who drives the car (from any camp - MS, Hyundai, Ford) or has taken a ride, they are amazed.

Astra 1.6, I loved the engine sound a lot.
    Pl ignore the typos. Sorry if the thread got hijacked.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2015 ---
    @prabhjot -- Don't call me "Sir" ... I feel like I have grown too old prematurely ;)
    Great on your plans. So if stars align favorably, maybe we can negotiate some deal out of FCA. :)
    FCA should be chugging along nicely. EOU once operational should make exit difficult. Fingers crossed!!!
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @rusticnomad : Thank you for a well written piece straight from the heart. My surprise however stems from the statement where you said the Linea 30 feet in the defense personnel case! 30 feet is the height of a 2.5 floor building. Are Fiats that strong to fall from that height and still be driveable? Or was the 30 feet a very angular slide down with the wheels holding ground all the way down? I would love to know.

The fact that you could drive at 80 km/hr after such a fall shows how strong the components were built in that car. Heck, the fact that the engine and radiator were still working itself is a feat. And I can completely relate to how people think you are crazy to go out and spend 10 lakhs on a Fiat. They look at you as if you've just suffered dementia. We had that twice when we got the Avventura and then a 13 year old S10. We still get pity looks from people when we tell them we have 2 Fiats at home. But they are worth much more.

It is great to know that you guys survived such a crash at 140 kmph at night. The Skoda/Linea/(maybe Zest) are perhaps the only cars with such strong builds. And your last statement is what resounds with all of us on this forum. That Fiat deserves to sell more and have a long lasting presence in India.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
  8. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
  9. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan --
    Well, then our family suffers from Dementia genetically.

https://www.teamfiat.com/threads/ou...ey-journey-begins.12020/page-5#post-841945729

That's Fiat (not the Padmini but FIAT Logo) 38 years back, remained with us till 2000 trouble free and no accidents :)

WRT Fall, I guess the uphill - off roading -- climb was driveable as he drove back up onto the road. I'll have to get the exact location and details from the friend. But, it was a steep fall. But, here's the FB ad (this one says 35 feet drop):

https://www.facebook.com/fiat.india....1442564453./1149901831691142/?type=3&theater
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  10. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    That is quite some drop. Maybe all car testing should be done on that drop. The cars that are still driveable after the drop should be certified "OK Tested". That is a great photo from all those years back. It is a pity that Fiat has fallen from such a position of strength to what it is now. Or maybe the population's mindset has fallen all the way.

All fingers now crossed to see if the populace will touch the Abarth Punto or not.
    abhinav_nani and prabhjot like this.