1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @dadasaheb

The cheaper petrol (that actually sells in good numbers, unlike the expensive imported-engine tsi) is a 3-pot, i think, even now.

Toyota's plans are great: they'll surely eat up Honda and Hyundai too (likely, though less so) i feel, once they realize these plans, over what?, 2-3 years. The same period that'll see, FCA's India plan says (if one wants to believe it): 2 all-new Fiats, and several Jeeps, including at least one CKD and at least one locally manufactured.

What's funny is that even they, by far the world's biggest and most profitable car firm, have been, and remain.....'slow' in India. How many years has the dated, obsolete Innova and even Fortuner already spent? How many years before Toyota's C1/C2 hatch+sedan finally arrive? Their engines are awfully dated too, esp the diesels, big or small, as is their pricing, and yet they've sold well and command tremendous trust, though I have to point out they made about 200 crores of losses last financial year, which is why they now export many more Etios-es than they sell here (as taxis).

There's a reason for that: one that is the same 'conservativeness'/pessimism/timidity/skepticism, etc for which we berate Fiat.

If even they have until now felt the Indian market's dodgy and very difficult to manage (witness their utter failure with the Etios twins, though it seems the Cross sells well), in its value-calculus,.....what chance Fiat?
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  2. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    FIAPL is not bothered about competition. They are not bothered about advertising because it s not got budget for flamboyant portrayals. They are not serious to increase sales numbers in India.

This is known since their Palio days. i guess it would make justice to get into another plane and discuss why they are not doing while competition is investing heavily. Why are they sloppy, sleepy and taking their own sweet time and still not matching features which competition is bringing.

FIAT Aegea looks so nice and promising but not being brought to India. Why would a company hold from bringing such newer models. Refreshed Linea is a capable machine but become eye sore having being too similar to the out going version.

What is stopping FIAPL from bringing the Panda, the Freemont, the Sedici, all are low cost cars that can compete very well competition.

Panda is brilliant when compared with Wagon R. Why is FIAPL struggling with just 2 models ?
  3. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot VW does not release numbers for the individual engines so how do you always claim that they sell more petrols? I find it doubtful. In fact it is the waiting times for the GT which are far greater. Maybe, once they ramp up production they will actually sell more cars then what they do now.

Our argument (or mine) fundamentally has been on marketing and what they give to us with what they have. It is ridiculous for any manufacturer to release a petrol powered engine and not a diesel. It is ridiculous for any manufacturer to release a car without a top end petrol. Now with all the safety hungama MS has released airbags for all it's basic cars. The car does not become safer but people get the perception that it is and so sales increase. It is also ridiculous at this day and age not to have a car without automatic options.

I can go on and your only reply would be build quality and herd behaviour. Nope herds would change if you ram an idea long enough. They would not if you release cutesy stuff like the Abarth. I have still no idea what is the meaning behind that?
    dadasaheb and vista7155 like this.
  4. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    :joyful: Fiat should be ashamed of themselves at one side the ASS numbers are going down and other side Suzuki is launching 1.6 mjd in S cross.
    I have never seen this kind of manufacturing company where they are selling their USP and cribbing about herd mentality.
    FCA lost one more great opportunity for Linea.
    I have lost all the hope on this company and ASS is just a joke those morons has kept my car for a silly AC pipe replacement from 15 days.
    Now I really regretting my decision of buying and going against my beloved family members advice:banghead:
    dadasaheb likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

The GT Tsi and dsg are fully imported, hence the waiting periods, it does not signify great demand for the GT-s. Am basing my sales break-up estimates on conversations with the local VW dealership manager.

OK, let's say they launch the t-jet+automatic option+abs+airbags on even lower variants (they already have the excellent mjd, why do they need another much more expensive diesel when even this one sells slowly despite big discounts?) . Will sales improve meaningfully at all, let alone profitably?

They've done plenty of marketing for the Avventura, let's be fair now, including huge billboards in most big cities as we speak, full page ads, digital ads.....with ZERO result: in May the Evo+Avventura sold exactly as many as the Punto alone in 2014, pretty much.

You'll then retort that the cars are too old, all-new ones are needed. When they come (in late 2016? only in 2017?) we'll be arguing over whether it was the bad fuel efficiency of the t-jet or perhaps the exorbitant pricing of the 1.6 mjd or the mere amt rather than dual-clutch, whether the advertizing was adequate......that accounts for the failure of even the new cars with champ engines from selling much better than today.

We'll still be rehashing the same arguments because the cars will still not be selling well enough, unless ruinous discounts are offered.

One must realize just how difficult and expensive this task is for the Fiat brand, especially but also for a number of others just as VW, Skoda, Nissan, Chevy etc in India.

The loss-making failure of the Polo and Vento despite monumental quantities of advertizing, and 0% finance schemes etc from VW+Skoda....is a pointer, as is the slowness of VW to bring any all-new mass market car in, what, 4 years? With all-new stuff only in 2016/2017, apparently, just like Fiat? Of course they have the profits from Audi, which is precisely the model Fiat is emulating by introducing an expensive car-range from Jeep.

I simply don't think its at all prudent of them financially to do anything very much or very brave, given limited resources, and given the financial demands of the Jeep launch, plant upgrade for the local manufacture and export of small Jeep(s), etc.

At least not till the eve of 2018.

They tried new dealers and FASS, radically and excellently facelifted models, one charismatic half-new model, aggressive pricing and warranties let alone massive discounts.....but they are still to move out of square one. They 'made the move' but went nowhere.

They should just 'lage raho' as is, which incidentally is seeing increasing revenues and presumably rising profits via the Tata JV+Maruti. For another couple of years, and then reassess. Use India more as an export and r&d etc base, too, rather than a retail market that barely if at all responds to their 'moves' (such as they are).

The Jeep launch cannot be botched, though, since launching an all-new and pretty 'premium' high-margin brand is the only real ace they have left in the cards, and that'll need a large capital outlay, esp for marketing.

Mike Manley, Fiat's asia-pac head, Fiat India's boss, is first and foremost the Global head (including the US) of Jeep, with an awesome record (million-plus global sales last year, and still rising fast).

Which probably means that's exactly what they'll do, botch it by being too timid/cautious/miserly i can already hear you say!:p

Let's just wait and see (AutoExpo is in Feb): it'll be frustrating and exciting in equal measure, i expect.;)
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

Totally agree. Whatever be the economics, selling your flagship powerplant to your competitor is just not done. In one sense, it is a moronic idea, in an other, its a "we dont care about Fiat enthusiasts" attitude. Well, what does Fiat care about then?
    dadasaheb and vista7155 like this.
  7. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    who have stopped Fiat from importing a good 6 speed gearbox, 1.6 MJD, good multiair engine giving great mileage (FE).
    at least VW is trying various combinations and its the effect behind 4K sales of polo this month. which is a day dream for Fiat.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    May be TATA, FIAT is sharing its plant with TATA,so there might be in the contract whatever new technology comes to FIAT should be by default applicable to TATA as well.Again,just my thoughts @dadasaheb :)
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

Doesnt make sense. Tata doesnt allow Fiat to bring "ITS OWN" engine from abroad as part of the JV, but allows their common competitor to get access to the technology ?
    dadasaheb likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @acechip
    Are we confirmed about the news of 1.6 to competitor ?