1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

It will be a distant dream for the requirements listed and if we see the Fiat history it is no where possible to bring the products on the table within 2 years.
    From past 6 years they are running the show with two actual product and they are least bothered to bring the cars from sister companies.
    I believe History will be repeated Fiat will again close the shop because TATA has stopped using Fire engine for their cars, thanks to Revroton, if TATA can make the better petrol engine then Suzuki will be doing this in Diesel engine sooner or later.
    Before somebody jumps on me the 2 ltr MJD may be on the cards for TATA SUV but it is not confirmed agreement.
    If Fiat was interested to compete in our market they would have brought the "Freemont" to compete against the likes of compact SUV and the indian price might be around 14 Lakhs with below features and it would been killer with 7 seats .
    • 2.4L 16V DOHC VVT 125 kW petrol engine with
      6-speed auto transmission
    • Dual zone air conditioning
    • 17” alloy wheels
    • Cruise control
    • Keyless entry (automatic door opening system)
    • Keyless go (automatic keyless starting system)
    • Rear parking sensors
    • Heated folding electric side-view mirrors
    • Compact spare wheel
    • 6 airbags (include side and curtain)
    • Audio controls on the steering wheel
    • USB and AUX-IN inputs
    • Front and rear fog lights
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @vista7155 if Fiat has to take off from the ashes then they need to do the impossible. otherwise your point of exiting the market.
    also i think if Maruti starts to use its own DDIS then Fiat will be in more trouble.
    I would suggest the new MD to scrap the 1.3 Mjd for Fiat cars and replace it with 1.5 Mjd
    see Tata can do a Revetron from MPFI but Fiat can not do a 1.2 T-Jet/multiair from 1.2 Fire.
    They need to go in the Indian battle with all the latest armory in their arsenal, otherwise they are loosing the battle anyways.
    can they hire someone from Maruti/Hyundai marketing dept ??
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi guys, feeling grumpy, as we all do once a month, i.e., periodically?!

This mass market is not amenable to these Fiats, or any other Fiats from the global portfolio. The wider marketplace has capitulated to the dominance, like an oligopoly, of 3 East Asian manufacturers + bit parts for Tata and Mahindra.

Fiat, whatever their PAST (and they are past, though still not perfect) errors and failures of ommission and commission, CANNOT succeed in India, forseeably. They should spend the next 2 years at least cultivating a niche/sporting/enthusiast clientele, and push the Linea as a mature, knowing, young yet sophisticated man's sedan. That's all. Anything further will just entail guaranteed losses. Especially, all-new launches. That is the very last thing they should blow up money on, in this market culture.

It is costing Tata thousands of crores to launch the Zest and Bolt and to re-vamp their brand. Tata will take many many years to recover even one naya paisa for this risky investment. But Tata Motors, given the number of its former/current owners of say the Safari or the Vista or Indigo, and its huge dealer network, can afford to take the risk, especially since they have epic profits in pounds/dollars from JLR. FCA simply cannot, and i'd argue that even if they could, this mass-market culture is closed to Fiats in particular and non-Jap/Korean firms in general. And the automotive values Fiats etc provide and cater to.

FCA should give up the mass market entirely, and go niche/enthusiast (T-jet Avventura + Evo, Abarth Punto, automatics, etc, and if they get enough demand from Maruti/exports, the 1.6 mjd) AND go premium via Jeep and in a couple of years times Alfa Romeo. Maserati+Ferrari already have new dealers appointed, good ones too.

I completely disagree that they have not marketed enough: from 'make the move' to 'hello life' to the Evo and Avventura launch ads, other ads aboput service centres and about features/blueme etc in between. Plus, the biggest and best Facebook and website pages in this industry, plus youtube testimonial videos, etc. Where is the proof that say twice or thrice as much marketing will result in even quarter-decent sales? VW+Skoda out-market everyone, and have very little historical negative legacy/stigma...and yet their sales over the 2 years are down hugely, and they're losing money big time, unlike Fiat, which is profitable.

I also disagree that the number of product offerings can make a profitable difference. It can for strong brands like Maruti and Hyundai and Honda, it is not the problem for Fiat: Chevy has a full lineup, Renault and Nissan have 'full' lineups, and see: they've done nothing but lose thousands of crores over the last several years.

I feel, like @Biraj ?, that Fiat should sit tight with the terrific and increasing SURELY profits from the Tata jv + sales to Maruti of engines and amt-s, and zero in TOTALLY on the 'enthusiast'-niche + attack the D- and E- and F-segments with Jeep, including especially CKD assembly and in 2017, localized manufacture. The Evo 75 hp mjd, the Linea 1.3 mjd and the Evo 1.2 fire + Avventura diesel will sell what they will sell, meanwhile.

Fiat should not, like Chevy, Nissan, Renault and even VW/Skoda, blowup good money trying to compete with the big fat sumo-s of this mass market: MS, HY, HY and T. Because they cannot, whatever the reasons, the biggest ones being the brand's historical damage (ass poor, resale poor, unreliable company etc) and the evn bigger one being the exorbitant risks and costs of even trying, like Tata, to do so.

Of course: more and, more importantly, better-tuned-to-the-desi advertising remains essential. Don't offer discounts: instead, cut your prices on at least the non-t-jet cars, and spend the money saved on marketing and on supporting the dealers.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
  5. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Linea T-Jet
    I just hope they follow it under the new leadership. The sooner they realise their positioning for this market, the better it will be. It's time they focus on the high-margin, low-volume enthusiast segment, and leave the A$$ network management to the likes of Mahindra First Choice. It will allow them a greater service network without a high-capex, and spend more time on important aspects like product development, branding, and customer satisfaction.

Fiat has tried to please the unpleasables but failed, so it's time they focus only on their strengths and their fan-base. Fiat is blessed with a huge number of a fanatic followers and most of them have the ability to influence their friends/peers/relatives. There can't be a better sales team than one's customers. If they provide the right support in terms of parts availability and trained staff (through outsourced service centers), I am sure they can create a workable and successful model.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and prabhjot like this.
  6. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    My first thought is that if Fiat is able to do this much with just 2 products, it is commendable. For most people, buying a car is not for a specific purpose anymore. They want everything in the car except the kitchen sink. And yes, I was just about to mention what @prabhjot said. Offer a factory or dealership customization centre for their cars. That will make them truly unique in the eyes of the customer and who knows? It just might open up new markets in marriage gifting, valentine day gifting, etc. After all, an iPod is never a necessity. But Apple made it the piece to have. If Fiat looks at this option, that would be great.

For an old bloke like me, all I want is spare parts and servicing available over the next 10 years from the company while I glide over bad roads, hill stations and long drives. To enjoy Fiat cars knowing that my family likes it and the pleasure from the drive is all that matters. Point A to B in style.

Yes, I was getting grumpy each month over the last year when I saw Fiat languishing at the bottom. Then I happened to see the trail of threads from 2009 where there was so much uncertainty if Fiat was leaving India for good. They then announced the Tata JV. But even then, there were people who bought Fiats in that uncertainty because they wanted a car that was a car. Seeing that, I've stopped getting paranoid over sales figures. If the company is here to stay and make profits through OEM sales, that's good enough for me.
  7. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    my point is that the companies which lost thousands of crores does not have any product which is best in segment but they are half baked which leads to the losses and not the new products offered.
    Fiat needs to establish the Brands like i20, City, Innova, Duster, Ecosport
    vista7155 likes this.
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot The idea that Fiat should do nothing because every brand before it has failed IMO does not seem like a good thought. As we discussed before FIAT are neither here nor there and should decide in their mind where they would want to position themselves. They are good engine makers (for now) but if that is what they want why pathetic attempts to sell just a 1000 cars a month (well less than that actually).
  9. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    They could've had decent numbers if they would've done little advertising.....
    Now I'm afraid to buy a fiat if it goes like this.

what if maruti buys the K9K instead of the multijet after the current agreement And Tata goes for the VARICOR... Then fiat is screwed ,No profit... Will pack their bags and go back to italy.

They should've launched the 500x (Indian version without hill hold and stuff) at a desi price instead of the avventura.

Fiat is pretty much dead already.

Polo sells why? Because they freakin advertise.

I think we tfi should meet the Kevin guy and talk... Else fiat is doomed( future sight)
  10. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    I find it strange that a lot of enthusiasts are more worried about fiats future than fiat themselves. Not sure whether fiat will ever pull up its socks.
    Aditya0027 likes this.