1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

I can definitely vouch for the fact that Fiat's gearbox is notchy/rubber whatever. And it does detract from the thrill. I had a Dzire DDIS , and boy did it have a sweet gearshift! On the other hand, Fiat's unit feels indestructible, and could perhaps be also employed on a T90 Main Battle Tank :).
    We want everything from Fiat, as we do from VW, Honda, Toyota, MSIL and others. The difference is, their way of giving what we want and showing how they give, has won over the car buyer audience in India. Here people are not sure about Fiat. And neither is Fiat sure about Indian consumers.
    prabhjot, vista7155 and Raj_pol like this.
  2. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    @acechip
    You wrote better words describing the Fiat attitude Towards us.
    Yes they have failed miserably long past and they don't want to improve either.The best example is we are talking about tjet but fiat is still testing I don't know what they are testing.
    Regarding the gear box yes the swift is butter smooth and in punto little bit of effort is required to move it.
    We have dezire it has done 90k and still the gearbox is smooth as new car and running with out any issues touchwood but the clutch is very hard and punto clutch is class apart it is butter smooth and in B2B traffic the punto is effortless for our legs but pain for our hand:shame:
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Folks: of course there are any number of additional things me like any other customer (though most buyers in India are consumers NOT customers, but that is a different discussion) wants from Fiat. I'd like all the hard-ish plastic above the brilliant though not blinggy soft touch beige on the dash of my new Linea to be made of, say, velvet or even leather.:p Hell, I'd happily pay much more for it too.

Question is: are these the REAL reasons the cars don't sell in any let alone much greater numbers? That's where I disagree with you, Raj. @Raj_pol @dadasaheb

The vast majority of car consumers are not affected or even aware of most of the stuff that Fiat gets berated about, anymore than they are aware or care that the i20 Elite lacks so much essential equipment relative to the Punto: no fuel efficiency readout, no distance to empty, no underbody engine guard, no toppling-forward rear seat, no led rear tail lamp, no boot and (if i am not wrong though could be) no glovebox lamp, and of course no voice recognition bluetooth phone and media controls. And there are several others. I have to point out the i20 elite/active still rides, handles and steers like crap relative to a Swift or Bolt let alone a Punto Evo or Avventura. And its 1.2 Petrol, which outsells the diesel, is even less powerful than the 1.4 Fire. And it doesn't have either an alloy spare wheel (Avventura v/s Active), or a touchscreen+projector lamps either (Evo v/s Elite). Etc.

Most buyers expect discounts of several lakhs on an Evo or Linea before they'll even begin to consider not buying the i20 Elite, for which there just is a mad rush/trend. The Evo like even the Linea t-jet still has many flaws and absences, all I am saying is that its absences and lacks and cost/price-trade-offs are tiny compared to what the (therefore) over-rated and over-priced bestselling brands offer.

Good thing then that FCA will not be launching the near perfect all-round, hyper-equipped 500X anytime soon. Because then this assumption that Fiat's potential audience CAN be even as potential swayed by such matters as gearshift feel and projector headlamps (when it comes to the 'Fiat' brand at the sorts of prices it'll come at) will really get belied at great cost to them, and those of us who might take/place bets on the matter.:p:(
  4. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    when one has to beat the market leader he should offer all the things in market leader + his unique features which will lead the consumer to buy it, there should not be a comparo which but additional things in the competitor.
    my friend please tell me that i 20 active got the 6 speed gearbox better than avvy and projectors which the avvy only showed in auto expo. also they showed a 6 speed gearbox, where are they ??
    so there is no hope from fiat related to auto expo. they can show one thing and deliver a totally diff. thing.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. JohnyBoy

JohnyBoy Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    They lost one customer because of this. I was ready to buy Avventura, but Fiat didn't think petrol guys don't deserve Emotion.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @JohnyBoy

I read on that forum a post by an old member that claimed, based on what he said is an authoritative insider/'birdie' that the normal (a torque of around 180 Nm rather than 200 Nm +?) t-jet Avventura will come by Diwali, first, to be followed in dec or Jan by the uptuned Abarth 135 hp t-jet Evo. No Evo with a Fiat badge and with the Linea-or-slighter version of the T-jet.

Also, for whatever it is worth, this short report on a meeting Motobeam had with Kevin Flynn about FCA approaches to the Indian market from hereon:

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/05/cars/fiat/fiat-plans-new-strategies-increase-market-share/
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Dr. Fixated likes this.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Wow, so many posts flying left, right and centre. Let me jump in. All posts in every thread are coming back to the same thing. What Fiat does and why it doesn't do the right thing at the right time. It is true in a way. Why show something at the Expo only to retract later? The problem comes only when hopes are raised.

It is also true that people go and pick up Fiats when there are huge discounts offered. It is sad that Fiat has become a bottom-of-the-bin material inspite of offering everything that is required. Things like a notchy gear box and lack of 6th gear are subjective. If they can just show some more spunk in being cheerful during the sales period and stick to committed dates, half the job will be done. And the perception on after-sales has to be mitigated. That fear is entrenched in the minds of Indians after decades of going through harrowing times during services. Not easy to get rid off. And their half baked or reactionary approaches which are delayed only give the feeling that they themselves don't know what they want. They make great cars and don't have a clue on how to push them.
    prabhjot and bharath like this.
  8. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    1. in reality honda/VW comes with the 1.5 diesel (india specific) in 1-2 (max) years
    we Indians are still waiting and waiting for 1.5/1.6 MJD may be forever, meanwhile maruti imported 1500 1.6 MJDs for may be S-Cross / Ciaz.
    2. see the turnaround time of new products, others come with ground up new products in 2-3 years max.
    our dear FCA takes 3-4 years to launch existing products in other countries in India. why they are so slow ?
    3. they are dumping outdated technology in India e.g. FIRE
  9. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    In my interactions with car buyers there are 4 levers that play a major role in a buying decision
    1. Price
    2. Looks and some goodies like a nice music system or a reverse camera
    3. Sales & After Sales Support
    4. What my peers/scrutiny group are buying/commenting

The brand that they buy depends which lever the buyer thinks is more important. For a fact most of them do not understand things like, ( (including me when i bought my first car which was a Zen Estilo)
    1. Good gear Vs Rubbery shift
    2. Clutch Travel
    3. Hard Vs Soft Suspension
    4. Hydraulic Vs EPS
    5. Turbo charges Vs NA Engines, displacement etc
    6. Space Vs Thigh Support
    7. Tyre and alloy size and all of the mechanical aspects we discuss affecting the sales

These are all for slightly knowledgeable public on forums such as these. Even if they are given a back to back test drives they will not understand what they are driving (similar segment cars). Our market will need a few more years to understand all of this. Until then i believe the first four levers will play a bigger role in majority of the buying decisions. I believe this is where the auto giants of Asia do very well.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @C_S Absolutely correct and leaving the last point which is in ways dependent on the first 3 the rest are on the player in this case Fiat. So in the end boils down to simple but doable stuff, improve the music system, remove the atrocious microsoft blue & me, get a rear view camera (mine costs 3500 including a 5 inch led visor) and change the looks to something sharper. Imagine someone in North India asked to buy a cute looking car. No we as Indians love butch, the manliness, edgy (may not appeal to refined sensibilities) but it is so.
    C_S likes this.