1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Abh1nav

Abh1nav Timido

New Delhi
    Well, I beg to differ here!

As i mentioned in the previous post, the 2015 Duster has brought some big changes to the interiors and going by what I'm hearing, as well the pics I've seen, Renault needs to be commended for that. They've upgraded the dash, the steering, the instrument cluster, the MID, the quality of materials, the seat fabric, added the driver's armrest and what not! Heck, they've even added cruise control to the 2WD models!

They've silently made these changes in the current model itself, while they could've opted to wait for the facelift, which will be seen in India in the near future. So full marks to Renault here.

Though I haven't seen the Avventura extensively, but had a decent look at it during my last visit to the SVC. And so, I can strongly say that the 2015 Renault Duster matches evenly with the EVO / Avventura if we talk about the build quality / features. The cruise control and Eco mode put the Duster ahead IMO.

Design is a personal choice, so saying that the Avventura is better would be unfair. As much as I drool over the tail lamp on the Punto Evo / Avventura, I love the butch looks of the Duster!

About the spare wheel placement, I think it looks stunning on the Avventura, but the mechanism isn't the most practical one we've seen on cars with a tail-gate mounted spare wheel.

About the NCAP ratings, don't know how much they hold true for these "Made for Indian market" cars, but the Punto definitely feels more "solid".

I haven't driven the 90HP Punto, so won't be able to comment about its driveability compared to the 85PS Duster.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

I am specifically interested in the mechanicals/suspension etc. Would you say that the suspension of the Duster will hold up to consistently moderate bad-road usage ?
  3. Abh1nav

Abh1nav Timido

New Delhi
    Well, that's a bit difficult to answer, but I think the car should do fine if you aren't over enthusiastic and consistently drive at high speeds over bad roads.

Remember that it's a urban SUV, so it won't do what a Bolero / Scorpio would. Its more like the XUV than the Scorpio!
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Abh1nav

They certainly needed to: it costs most (versions) well/far above 10 lakhs? They may also have made a slight price cut, i think, is that right, if you know? Am sure the Duster sub-brand is here for good, over many iterations, even as all that east Asian CUV competition's coming. They've really milked first-mover advantage, and that 'macho' stance, and are now, with the added (prospect) of competition, Renault-fying the Dacia-specs? It IS the benchmark for that particular 'butch' pseudo-SUV look, no doubt. I'd prefer the upcoming refreshed Tata Safari Storme for that big-square-beefy look, etc, myself, however, at those prices.

The Avventura's AWESOME value as a 'cross'over, but/so....one has to doubt whether Fiat's promised for 2016 b-suv can really cut-it in sales terms, no matter how good it will inevitably be, and how well-priced?!
  5. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot if the 2016 b-suv boasts a mileage of 30 kmpl & 25 kmpl for diesel and petrol and get a tag "mileage SUV"
    I think that will make people go gaga all over it ... But sadly fiats would weigh again some 1.3tonnes (for a good cause though) cannot simply give such a mileage. May be they should use carbon fiber :p and price like a BMW.

But fiat seriously needs to bring more products only then slowly they would get the peoples confidence.

And should air advertisements more in most watched TV channel and not an out dated channel. And should be a sponsor for some most waited award and reality shows like the Vijay awards and super singer in Tamil nadu, don't know about other channels.

I see members of my family are aware of the newest i20 active but not aware of fiat products, except they know I am a fan of Fiat for no reason.
  6. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    What will it get Fiat to bring 500x here? If they do, it will be all glory for Fiat.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    There are some discussions on the mileage of the FIRE. I own a 1.2 from 2012....and this is not just once. This happens regularly. Sorry the mileage pic is blurred but it is 20.1. I post similar accounts on the "elite" forum where experts need frequent "proof", to refute the crap they post, ( I love the "rubbery gearshift" crap an esteemed North American NRI distin"guised" whatever keeps referring to, every now and then. He hasn't even driven a Punto yet) regarding FIAT.

It is different here: most people know what FIRE FIAT has in its belly :p On the other hand, what I am unhappy about is they silent increase in cost of spares and service. 1500 for a normal service and every extra bolt tightening will be "charged" extra. Prabhjot, you are quite aware of this: why not have some of your views on this :D. Why not some parda faash?

I had posted earlier a pic of the charges for standard jobs, cant find it anymore and neither is it displayed in the ASS anymore. Spoke to Mr. Mangesh and Mr. Rajput, and both dodged the direct question. It seems it is still the "sell engines" model for them. Customers and transparency still a quarter mile ahead. Exceptions are no rule.

Am I happy with the car? Yes I am. Very happy, and quite optimistic too!

EDIT attaching labour rates chart. What the ASS charges, is MUCH MUCH higher. Again, I believe, Prabhjot, you might have a word on this ?? :p

DSC_1510.jpg

DSC_1509.jpg

DSC_1511.jpg

Picture2.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @puntophile

I am always too keen, anxiously so, to see servicing/repair-work done well, and lately that's been the case with both my and my dad's Fiats to quibble too much or even look too closely at the bill. All I am glad for is that there is an excellent local FASS, hopefully viable in the loonggg run....and that the cost of ownership is still way below say Hyundai and Honda, let alone VW. The 'new' rates you quote still seem pretty ok overall (am no billing/costing expert) and, besides, the dealers and FASS have to be 'enabled'/'empowered' to be profitable 'somehow' by Fiat/FCA, no, given sales figures?;):D
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 12, 2015 ---
    The unheard-of-anywhere-in-the-mass-market-world, luxury-marque like profit margins of Maruti and Hyundai in India (well above 10%) are founded on, what's the word?, 'smart'/'intelligent' pricing of their high-frequency ASS and spares. Fiat is very much the shrinking violet when it comes to such practices. Not that thy have a choice in this market, still...
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  9. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @puntophile : The list of charges look pretty decent to me. If you think the prices have increased at FASS, you should really check Maruti's (MASS) charges. I could not believe how expensive they have become. We gave our Zen MPFI for a regular service and some bits and pieces to be changed. The total bill was 2250 but here's the best part. 950 was the spare parts and 1300 the labour! I never knew Maruti was so expensive. I understood then why many Fiat owners were crying hoarse that a Punto was cheaper to service than a Swift VDi. No one ever listens to Fiat owners. i decided I would never go back to MASS.

And another thing. My entire clutch assembly had to be changed. MASS gave me the quote at 8000 + gear oil charges if any. I refused and went to an elder mechanic who has worked with MASS since 1983. He charged me 7000 including gear oil topup. My front shock mount too was slightly bent. MASS said it cannot be repaired and gave me a quote of 30000 for the job saying that since the mount is on the chassis, it is a major job. I told them the current cost of car is only a lakh and so why would I even bother to spend 30000 on this.

The known mechanic in question told me he would get it done for 3000! It seems all that needs to be done is to heat the mount and gently bend it back into place. Nothing else required. And he has serviced Fiat cars also. He told me the general quality of Fiat spares is so good that they really don't fail for a long time.
    Raj_pol and prabhjot like this.
  10. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    No no, you got me wrong. I am FINE with the charges in the list. Only, the FASS I go to, feign ignorance of these rates and charge easily 1.7 times for each head. I am MORE THAN HAPPY to pay what is published. When I wanted to clarify, the officials bypassed the queries. Am i clear now? :p These rates were once displayed in Kashyap FIAT, removed after a few weeks!! Oberoi manager and GM claim FIAT never sent them any rate list! I want them to be profitable too, but not by cutting throats! :(

OK..keeping it simple: Do you have an updated list of charges which your FASS adheres to without being charitable? (As you can see, a list like that exists and our more privileged friends must be having the true picture). I guess it should be consistent, based on which tier/city they are located. And not everyone can afford to NOT look at bills. ;) No sarcasm, kasam...!